What's new

Scripting Networking access settings

Mark Phelps

VIP Member
Pro User
My Win8.1 box that servers as a file server has become corrupted and I need to reinstall the OS.

But, I have several disks in the case and each one has complicated networking settings.

It takes a LONG time to enter the settings manually for each disk, so is there a way to script the settings so that I can run one powershell script and set them all?

My Computer

Mark Phelps

VIP Member
Pro User
Each of the physical drives has two sets of permissions:
1) A shared folder -- Everyone Read/Write
2) Remainder of the drive -- Everyone read only

I set these up manually using Sharing options ... but I had problems with other PCs being able to read the folders and files, and write to the shared folders.

I was able to solve this by taking ownership of everything in all the folders, but now, even that is failing -- as I can't change some of the folder and filenames.

My Computer

samuria

VIP Member
Pro User
Your logic is wrong if you set everyone to read only then even administrator is a member of everyone so no one will be able to write you must always add allow before you set deny

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro

Mark Phelps

VIP Member
Pro User
I have 5 PCs on the network, with different accounts on each, and I don't want to have to replicate these accounts on the file server box.

So how do I allow every PC on the network to have READ access to all the files and folders on the file server box unless I specify "everyone"?

My Computer

samuria

VIP Member
Pro User
Why do they need rights to the whole drive? You create a group add them to the group then set permission for the group so admins can still access it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 pro

Mark Phelps

VIP Member
Pro User
We're obviously talking at cross-purposes here ...

I do not want to do group-based permissions, instead, I only want to have simple file sharing -- which was working very well up until recently.

My interest in posting this thread was to see if I could re-establish those sharing options using scripts instead of having to go into each drive and manually reconfigure the permissions.

But if that is not possible, then I will simply reset the PC and redo the sharing settings manually...

My Computer