• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Running Windows from a USB HDD

philetus

I made a USB HDD that I am running Windows 8.1 off of. Does anyone know if I can update the Bios of the computer that is running Windows off the USB HDD?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1

TechnoMage

Power User
Central Florida

Just curious.....
Is there a good reason why you need to update your bios?

If there is any kind of error, or power failure, during the process, you've just turned your PC into a boat anchor or door stop.

Have you checked out the correct process for updating your particular Bios? Some can be updated from within Windows, but others must be updated from a file that you downloaded and copied to a bootable disk.

So, what is the correct procedure for updating your particular bios?

Again, Just Curious.....
Why are you running Windows from a USB device? That's extremely S....L....O....W! Eh?

Good Luck!
:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    AMD 8 Core
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    PNY, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA, GForce 210
    Monitor(s) Displays
    21" HP
    Hard Drives
    Seagate SATA III, 500GB
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts, 650
    Case
    Pac-Man Case
    Keyboard
    HP Professional
    Mouse
    GearHead Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    AVG Free
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 pro

philetus

I'm trying to learn more about flashing Bios. Especially Insyde Bios. Yesterday I was able to downgrade a Insyde bios from 1.08 to 1.06 on a old Acer I have. I made the Windows 8.1 that runs off a flash drive or usb HDD and was wondering if I had a computer that wouldn't boot , but still
had bios access and video capability, if I could run Windows off the usb and flash the bios from that. Since I already knew I could recover the bios with a flash drive, I went ahead and flashed from the usb HDD. I went ahead and tried it and it does work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)