Run all programs as administrator

Anakunda

Greetings,
is there an option to set default launching mode for all applications including any installed in future to run as administrator (identical to selecting Run as administrator from context menu)?
Although I can set up this permanently for an existing executable or shortcut, this is hardly possible doing for any installed program. I know this was possible somehow under Windows 7, all programs launch with admin rights and the superfluous option was removed from context menu. But don't remember already how this was achieved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
As far as I know you can only do it per program. You have to go to the file location of the program > Properties > Advanced and then check the box like in the picture.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9564-run-administrator-windows-8-a.html

2013-12-11_1809.png

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
@ Anakunda: It's generally not a good idea to run all apps as admin, this can pose a serious security threat (something Brink should have mentioned). The reason why things like UAC exist (even though I have it mostly disabled) is to protect your system from rogue apps, apps running as admin have more priviledges and can do more damage to your PC. You generally should only run apps as admin during installs, and if a particular app needs admin priviledges to function correctly. Otherwise, avoid it, run them as a Standard User if possible.

Hope that helped!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
Most of them do not need elevated administrator privileges anyway, only the ones that have influence on OS itself and it's there for safety sake. Should be cautious when using some programs that require it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
As mentioned above you shouldn't run every program as administrator.

Most recent programs have what's called a manifest (What is a Manifest (in Windows)? (Technical Article)) which explicitly informs windows what privileges the program needs. If it needs to run as administrator, windows will automatically know it. No need to use Run as or anything really.

Most setup/installers are the same, and windows should automatically recognize what they are (this is mainly based on the file name) and install them as admin.

The only time you need to change the properties of an app to admin or use "run as" is for old programs, even then most of them should run fine as a standard user. An exception might be old games which usually didn't care much about security standards and still need elevated privileges.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I like the way UAC in implemented on Windows 8.1, yes you cannot turn off UAC completely without compromising some of Windows features mainly Metro UI apps but as the same time the UAC in Windows 8.1 is not over bearing and still provides the system and user with a small layer of protection.

Unlike Windows 7 in which UAC can be turned off completely via Control Panel, if you want to run IE 11 in 64-Bit mode in Windows 7 you'll have to enable UAC even if it's the second to last setting (last stetting in Windows 7 turns off UAC) and the popups/annoyance factor in Windows 7 with UAC turned on (even mildly) is unbearable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB