• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Right-click Taskbar Context Menu has weird colors

Zeldar

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 with Windows 8.1. When I right-click on an icon on the taskbar, the context menu has a purplish background with purple text. It is basically unreadable. In addition, the 'Unpin' context choice has the pushpin moved to the right so it's over the word 'Unpin'. If I hold the mouse cursor over the menu, I can tell what the choices are by panning up and down. This was a brand new PC. All I did was apply a Windows 8.1 Pro Pack (upgrade to Pro using a key) and I installed Office 2010 Standard. In addition, the default command prompt window has green text rather than white. I was able to correct that one pretty easily by changing the Command Prompt properties and defaults, but I cannot figure out how to fix the Taskbar context menu colors. Anybody know how to fix this annoying problem and what could have caused it? Thanks.

Attachments

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro

broe23

Retired from the grind
VIP Member
Pro User
Central IL

Check your personalization settings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.

mritchey

Don't usually respond to these but removing KB3072318 fixed this exact issue for me. Thanks. Personalization settings ... nope.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1, 7 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti