Solved Right Click Menu Lag on my pc

For my case, i dont know what it is.. C:\Windows\system32\BSAppShlExt.dll.. Not sure if there will be any effect on the system if i disable it since it is system file..
It does not matter if you disable it since this is a shell extension for your right click but I am not sure if this is a sytem file, I looked in mine and it's not there. Google it and I found this file belongs to a company called TODO in chinese. Maybe you should scan your PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC

i already done full scan on my laptop when i have this problem.. thought it must be some virus that make it slow.. but i guess i over-trust built-in window's AV to scan for malware too.. thank you for ur suggestion... =) will do that later..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON Graphic
Please download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
  2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
  3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
  4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
  5. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
  6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

Please post back the result.

I made an account on this forum soley to thank you. Earlier I was on an uninstall crusade, uninstalling programs left and right trying to find the source of my 5+ second desktop right-click lag. I ran MBAM and MS defender scans too. Nothing worked, but your solution did. Thanks a ton.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Winblows 8.1
Thank you for the :thumb:. Glad you got it sorted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
  2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
  3. On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
  4. Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
  6. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

Many thanks to topgundcp. Followed your instructions and found out it was Deskscapes. All fixed now and a very happy man.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thank you topgundcp
... Your the man ..
Here is my Offender..:
2014-12-07_8-41-16.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Wds 8.1 x 64Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy-15x365 PC
    CPU
    Intel i7 CPU @ 2.0GHZ
    Memory
    8GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD graphics 4400 - 1792MB
    Sound Card
    BeatsAudio dual speakers
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 5400RPM
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

I made an account on this forum soley to thank you. Earlier I was on an uninstall crusade, uninstalling programs left and right trying to find the source of my 5+ second desktop right-click lag. I ran MBAM and MS defender scans too. Nothing worked, but your solution did. Thanks a ton.

Same, thanks topgun, it was indeed the Atheros for me too, sorry for the necro, just noticed the dates :p

<3

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    3770k @ 4.20
    Motherboard
    Z77 MPOWER
    Memory
    16GB 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770
    Sound Card
    ASUS XONAR PCI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    K272HUL x2
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    240 EVO 128
    PSU
    Antec 900w
    Case
    Bitfenix Prodigy
    Cooling
    Hyper 212
    Keyboard
    WASD Custom + Ducky ZERO
    Mouse
    Logi G502
    Internet Speed
    100/5
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Win

Wow! Thank You, I just registered on the forum to post my Thank You, this works beautifully! Keep up the Good Work!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton & Malwarebytes
Hi,
Great forum for win 8 users.
I too had the same problem with right click context menu taking more than 10 seconds. Tried the ShellEx view. Though it reduced the items in the menu but didnot sort the problem.
Noted on this thread some where that Bluetooth device fwas a probable suspect.
Disabled the bluetooth from the context menu from Shellex view but still nothing happened.
Finally disbled the blue tooth device it from the device manager. It worked.

Thanks a ton.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Probook 4540s
    CPU
    2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3210M
    Memory
    3976 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7650M [Display adapter]
    Browser
    Mozilla firefox
    Antivirus
    avg

Worked for me. I joined this forum just to say thanks. So: Thanks a million :D

In my case the ofender was "AnyToISO"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
Hi,

Again, just joined to say thank you for this. I have a new PC, and noticed this right click problem (was taking about 2 seconds).

I downloaded and used ShellExView, and the problem was Ad-Aware Shell Extension.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
An Accolade for Topgundcp.

Recently (late November, 2015), topgundcp suggested ShellExView to solve a serious problem I was having with Windows 10 File Explorer. Every time I right clicked on a file or folder in File Explorer, the system simply responded by closing FE. Thus, the context menu was completely unavailable for file and folder actions. I downloaded the tiny program (in about ten seconds) and ran it immediately. It found tons of third party program extensions. I perused the results and disabled a number of entries. Viola! (pronounced "wal-la") my File Explorer problems were over!!!

This is a pesky problem that I've been dealing with for over a month. No other forum has been of any help -- only Topgun. My hat's off to you, dude. You RULE!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel i5
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro
    Browser
    Firefox
Hi there, having the same issue with a .wav file i exported from FL studio. no problems form the program up until this point after following norepi's instructions for ShellExView, and when i try to test if the issue was resolved, i get this:
Capture.PNG
And now i'm at a loss.
windows explore still restarts, and it's ONLY the .WAV file that triggers it

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10

I did try this method, but after I enable the apps again, the problem is still there. It does work after disabling it though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home
    Computer type
    Laptop
    P17V5
    CPU
    i7 6700HQ
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Cinema 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in display (17.3" FHD)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD & 265GB SSD
    PSU
    Battery
    Case
    Gigabyte P17V5 Case
    Cooling
    Standard case cooling
    Keyboard
    Built-in keyboard
    Mouse
    Gigabyte M6900
    Internet Speed
    Ping: 47ms, D/Speed: 1.00MB/s, U/Speed: 0.19MB/s
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG, Avast & Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    Other apps in background: Steam, WinRAR, Skype, Nvidia

had the same issue on Windows 10, turns out it was an extension from AVG...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10

Thanks a lot topgundcp
[FONT=&quot] ! Even after all this time your solution worked for me (Windows 10) Problem caused by Nvidia Driver update on june 7 2016.

[/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS8700
    CPU
    i7-4790
    Memory
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5
    Browser
    IE, Chrome...
    Antivirus
    Bit Defender

Thanks a lot topgundcp. I've also joined mainly to thank you for this solution.
I've recently been given an AMD PC with Win 8 Pro installed, Office 2007 and Sophos virus protection.
There are only 2 non-Microsoft extensions and the culprit was the Sophos components for extending windows shell with SAV scan version 10.7.2.49

As soon as this was disabled File Explorer started working better.
The green ribbon still takers time
The left column of folders does not open quickly
Images in the thumbnails do not appear quickly
Not good enough yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have discovered a solution to my problems on the Microsoft website:

Slow Green progress bar in File Explorer - possible solution - Microsoft Community

MTCSLtd started on May 6, 2016
[h=4]Discussion [/h][h=3]Slow Green progress bar in File Explorer - possible solution[/h]I've had a problem with File Explorer since upgrading to Windows 10, where I get a green progress bar that crawls along slowly, delaying the results of folder display such as the Download and Documents folders. It could take up to a minute before the folders would display.
I tried many different things as possible solutions that I'd found when searching the web:

1. SFC
  2. DISM
  3. various options in File Explorer
Nothing worked for me.
I then thought perhaps there's a problem with the indexing. I was about to rebuild the index under the control panel\Indexing\Advanced options, but by chance went into the Modify option which looks at indexed locations.
Here I noticed there were pointers to my D: drive to a series of folders which are not there any more. They appeared to be from an old user profile, with a comment beside them saying 'Unavailable'. I unticked these, clicked OK to save the changes, then restarted File Exlorer and found that I no longer get the slow green progress bar when I go into my Downloads and Documents folders.
I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 from Windows 8.1. I don't recall if I had this problem with Windows 8.1, but I think I probably did. Also, I used to re-direct my Documents and other personal folders to D\:username, but now I redirect them to D:\Users\username, and think somehow the old location was remembered by Search.
It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

MY REPLY
Thank you MTCSLtd,

I was recently given a Win 8 Pro PC by a friend who had cleaned it up leaving only Windows, Office 2007 and Sophos security.

File Manager was behaving infuriatingly and stopping me doing work.

After several modifications following advice forums this is the one that has done it.

Going into Control Panel\Indexing\Advanced options and then the Modify option showed that there were numerous, now non-existent indexing locations used previously by my friend.

I unticked these and chose the new location and all is well, including instant loading of thumbnails.

Thanks hugely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hey Guys just used this tool; worked great.

In my case it turned out to be the MSE context menu handler.

Performed many updates to the computer and this started to happen.

Though for a moment I may have caught a bug or even worse a Malware slowly taxing the computer's resources.

For weeks I have been investigating watched core temps, logged Ram and CPU; back checked the processes and looked for any start-up applications that may be over taxing to no avail.

I'm a safe Net surfer so I only used MSE for the longest time.

Decided to be a little more on the safe side and get an ANTI -Malware/Virus with Internet Security from "ESSET." "BTW, its very aggressive and seems to catch about everything; even devices on a network that produce suspicious activity."

Unfortunately still No change; in fact I beleive it got worse almost 30 sec lags in the menu load.

I finally had enough of the lag in that tab as it was starting to impact my productivity.

Read this thread; applied what I learned; Worked!

Just wanted to Note that if you install a third-party internet security/ anti-malware that the old doesn't always play nice with the new. "Re-Read the notes from ESSET and they recommend that you remove the old antivirus software." "I like to be redundant; even if its bypassed until executed."

If all else fails try that --> worked for me :)

cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    ESSET
Back