Restore factory W8?

mkbruin

I was given two tablets from a friend a long time ago, both HP Elitepad 900's. One had W8, the other W7 enterprise. The one with W8 I upgraded to 8.1, and for the last few years various versions of W10.... however, the atom clover trail processor/SOC in these never had a W10 driver released, and therefore have all kinds of issues and hiccups running W10.

I have wiped the W8 tablet enough times that I'm pretty sure the factory W8 recovery sector got nuked. For the W7e tablet, I can't seem to get it to boot to USB and can't seem to locate an OEM recovery partition. I don't have an OEM product key for either, as these are 7yo second hand devices....

What are my best choices for restoring to an OEM 8 (or 8.1) ? Or am I up a creek with these?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Elitepad 900
    CPU
    Atom z2760
    Memory
    2gb
If the one that had windows 8/8.1 came from the OEM with Windows 8/8.1 then the Key needed for installation is embedded into the Bios.
the windows 7 machine will require a product key

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
If the one that had windows 8/8.1 came from the OEM with Windows 8/8.1 then the Key needed for installation is embedded into the Bios.
the windows 7 machine will require a product key
Good to know! They both came with 8 factory, but one I think received an enterprise version of 7 that was boot locked by the sys admin of a company he left 6 years ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Tablet
    HP Elitepad 900
    CPU
    Atom z2760
    Memory
    2gb
.... however, the atom clover trail processor/SOC in these never had a W10 driver released, and therefore have all kinds of issues and hiccups running W10.
You probably know this already, but for others reading this thread: the Clover Trail Atoms cannot be upgraded beyond W10 version 1607. Microsoft have extended 1607 support to 2023 - but only for Clover Trail machines.

As part of our commitment to customers, we will be offering the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to these Intel Clover Trail devices on Windows 10, which we know provides a good user experience. To keep our customers secure, we will provide security updates to these specific devices running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update until January of 2023

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_232641.jpg
    IMG_20201211_232641.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 128

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Tablet
    HP Elitepad 900
    CPU
    Atom z2760
    Memory
    2gb
I'm currently on 1909
Microsoft specifically block upgrades beyond the Anniversary Update for these Clover Trail machines....

.... have all kinds of issues and hiccups running W10.
Running an unsupported OS would probably explain that. MS specifically state that Clover Trail should not use anything beyond 1607, and that they will provide 1607 updates exclusively for Clover Trail machines until 2023.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
Back