Repair without disc

Gibbo3771

Hi,

I have removed a Linux Distro from my dual boot, it was running GRUB2 as the bootloader and now I need to repair windows to get the bootloader fixed and overwrite GRUB with the normal loader.

However for whatever reason, it is notoriously difficult to do this without a disc or having made a backup drive within windows before things went tits up.

Is there a simple way to install a recovery disc onto a USB, boot from USB and then repair?

If not...that is pretty ridiculous and I am not going to pay PC world £40 for a stupid USB.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
How did you install Windows 8/8.1 without a disk?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
It came with the laptop.

I switched it over to dual boot last year, used a linux distro for a few month then needed to switch back to windows because I required use of my dedicated card.

This PC I am does not have a disc drive, is there no way I can get a hold of a USB drive I can boot from and repair?

It is a simple boot loader issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Welcome to EightForums

It came with the laptop.

Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

information   Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html (Windows 8 only)

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I never made one unfortunately, that is the thing they tried to charge me £60 for.

Most of Windows solutions are useless imo, they assume you can actually access windows in order to repair it, very few people google "Repair windows without disc" before it actually breaks...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Eh ok that is not going to happen, I payed a lot of money for this laptop and I don't really feel like spending another £60-80 to fix a simple problem with the bootloader, personally I think a recovery disc/pen drive should be provided for free.

I'll torrent it and keep my money.

Cheers anyway lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I payed a lot of money for this laptop and I don't really feel like spending another £60-80 to fix a simple problem with the bootloader, personally I think a recovery disc/pen drive should be provided for free.

Some OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's are FREE, all my OEM test rig's came with FREE Reinstall DVD's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back