Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS 1340 / Custom desktop
    CPU
    LT: Intel P8600 Core 2 Duo (2.4GHz) DT: QX9770 Core 2 Extreme
    Motherboard
    DT: DX48BT2 from Intel
    Memory
    LT: 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 DT: 8GB of OCZ DDR3 Dual Channel 1333Mhz Gold Series RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    LT: Nvidia 9400M G DT: GTX295
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DT: 2 Acer 23 iinch 1080p displays
    Screen Resolution
    LT: 1280x800 DT: 3840x1080
    Hard Drives
    LT: 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200rpm
    DT: 1TB Samsung HD103UJ 7200rpm
    PSU
    DT: 1000W Rosewill Bronze Series
    Case
    DT: Thermaltake Armor LCS
    Cooling
    DT: Custom assortment of wate rcooling parts
    Keyboard
    DT: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse
    DT: Logitech wired USB mouse
    Internet Speed
    about 370KB/s down, 70KB/s up
I don't have any issues like, there are a few rendering issues in IE 10 when you switch out of it sometimes and a couple apps have a few issues, but overall, it's fairly solid on my end.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Mine won't close down, keeps looking for a hdd, comes up with error message, cancel that and it closes down, but I have to manually turn it off.
Its still a beta so we can expect a few niggles, nothing major aside from that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Is anyone else noticing these issues?

Desktop - was a bloody disaster. Still cleaning up the mess. Froze like a mofo. I suspect it's my sound card drivers that caused most of the problems, but what good is an OS without sound? 8 also screwed up 7's folder permissions on my storage drives/folders.

I ended up rage wiping 8.

Plus I Installed it on the only spare drive I had, a SSD connected to a Marvel controller that's now been disconnected/disabled but my BIOS boot order is now screwed and 'forgets' the original order so it keeps looking for the Marvell drive resulting in a BSOD. That ones a first :rolleyes:

In between freezes though, I liked some of the improvements but for me it was an unusable desktop OS, which was a pity. I was looking forward to a decent hands on.

However on my Laptop, so far, so smooth.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB
Mine won't close down, keeps looking for a hdd, comes up with error message, cancel that and it closes down, but I have to manually turn it off.

I hesitate to call this a beta. Dev Preview was alpha, Consumer Preview was Beta. What we are on now is the equivalent of a Release Candidate. My understanding is that this means the engineers at MS believe that they have come up with an OS that could be released to the public. All features are there and they are in the final stages of testing to make doubly sure that everything works. I would expect in this stage to see very minor bugs in very specific situations. What I would not expect to see is a crippled OS on non-exotic hardware configurations. Don't get me wrong. The OS runs like a dream on my desktop, but that is a custom build. None of the major manufacturers make a desktop like mine, and yet it works fine on that. However, a laptop from a big manufacturer that has previously run without incident on Win7 is now almost unusable on this OS. My warranty hasn't even expired yet, so I don't think an argument can be made that my device is legacy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Studio XPS 1340 / Custom desktop
    CPU
    LT: Intel P8600 Core 2 Duo (2.4GHz) DT: QX9770 Core 2 Extreme
    Motherboard
    DT: DX48BT2 from Intel
    Memory
    LT: 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 DT: 8GB of OCZ DDR3 Dual Channel 1333Mhz Gold Series RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    LT: Nvidia 9400M G DT: GTX295
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DT: 2 Acer 23 iinch 1080p displays
    Screen Resolution
    LT: 1280x800 DT: 3840x1080
    Hard Drives
    LT: 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200rpm
    DT: 1TB Samsung HD103UJ 7200rpm
    PSU
    DT: 1000W Rosewill Bronze Series
    Case
    DT: Thermaltake Armor LCS
    Cooling
    DT: Custom assortment of wate rcooling parts
    Keyboard
    DT: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse
    DT: Logitech wired USB mouse
    Internet Speed
    about 370KB/s down, 70KB/s up

I hesitate to call this a beta. Dev Preview was alpha, Consumer Preview was Beta. What we are on now is the equivalent of a Release Candidate. My understanding is that this means the engineers at MS believe that they have come up with an OS that could be released to the public. All features are there and they are in the final stages of testing to make doubly sure that everything works. I would expect in this stage to see very minor bugs in very specific situations. What I would not expect to see is a crippled OS on non-exotic hardware configurations. Don't get me wrong. The OS runs like a dream on my desktop, but that is a custom build. None of the major manufacturers make a desktop like mine, and yet it works fine on that. However, a laptop from a big manufacturer that has previously run without incident on Win7 is now almost unusable on this OS. My warranty hasn't even expired yet, so I don't think an argument can be made that my device is legacy.

Its still a beta or release candidate, they will still be ironing out problems, but apart from that this will be the finished product. My PC is also custom built, it runs fine except for the closing down.
With most laptops you'll find you need to install Windows 7 drivers and chipsets etc, once you do that they usually run fine. I've got an old Netbook which after installing drivers and a couple of registry tweaks runs better than XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I wouldn't mind if major flaws like this kept Windows 8 off the shelves for another year or more!

Call me crazy, but has M$ gotten such cold feet about the reception of Windows 8 that they perhaps have planted a few "bugs" in this release so they can delay the launch and dramatically alter it?
I can only hope so.:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
I wouldn't mind if major flaws like this kept Windows 8 off the shelves for another year or more!

Call me crazy, but has M$ gotten such cold feet about the reception of Windows 8 that they perhaps have planted a few "bugs" in this release so they can delay the launch and dramatically alter it?
I can only hope so.:cool:

Okay, you're crazy.

Look, you know nobody is forcing you to use Windows 8, you can just keep using Windows 7. I really can't understand your problems with it, it's not that much different, you don't have to live in Metro. I'm sure once this hits the shelves people will find all kinds of ways to make it much like Windows 7. In the meantime, we haven't paid for it, so why not try to enjoy it and fiddle around with it, it's something new. If at the end of the trial, you still don't like it, ditch it and stick with 7.

Microsoft is not going to change it now, so just like a woman just lay back and accept the inevitable. Life's too short to keep on letting this irritate you.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Have you got a card reader installed? I had the same problem and disconnecting the card reader from the motherboard was the only solution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows XP SP3 32-bit
    Own build computer
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 E6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q SE Plus
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT240
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung Synchmaster 2494HM
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 [1080p HDMI connection]
    Hard Drives
    Internal: OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD, 2 x 400Gb SAMSUNG HD403LJ External: 1 x Iomega 2Tb, 1 x Iomega 1Tb,
    PSU
    Corsair AX750 [750w]
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 550D
    Keyboard
    Wireless Desktop 3000 v2.0
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    120Mbps download/ 10Mbps upload Cable Connection via UPC Nederland

Have you got a card reader installed? I had the same problem and disconnecting the card reader from the motherboard was the only solution.

No I don't, it looks for the DVD drive for some reason, and funnily enough the DVD drive never showed up in the CP version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back