Refresh Windows 8

How to Refresh Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

information   Information
This will show you how to use a new feature in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 to refresh your PC to keep all personal data, Metro style apps, and important settings from the PC, and reinstall Windows.

If a recovery image provided by your PC's manufacturer is present, Windows 8 will use that image when you refresh your PC. Otherwise, Windows 8 will use your installation media when you refresh your PC.

This refresh feature is something close to like what doing a repair install in Windows 7 and Vista was for, but made a lot easier, faster, and safer to do now in Windows 8.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Refreshing your PC goes like this:
  • The PC boots into Windows RE (Recovery Environment).
  • Windows RE scans the hard drive for your data, settings, and apps, and puts them aside (on the same drive).
  • Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
  • Windows RE restores the data, settings, and apps it has set aside into the newly installed copy of Windows.
  • The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.

Note   Note
Which Settings will be Preserved
  • All user accounts.
  • Files in all users' C:\Users\(user-name) folders. (ex: Desktop, My Documents, My Music, etc...)
  • Wireless network connections
  • Apps from the Windows Store will be kept.
  • Mobile broadband connections
  • BitLocker and BitLocker To Go settings
  • Drive letter assignments
  • Personalization settings such as lock screen background and desktop wallpaper
  • Choices you made during Windows Welcome, such as computer name and user accounts, will not change.
  • Network, Libraries, and Windows Update settings will not change.
  • Customer Experience Improvement Program settings will not change.
  • Windows Error Reporting settings will not change.
  • Some drivers may or may not be removed.
Which Settings will be NOT be Preserved
  • File type associations
  • Display settings
  • User settings
  • Windows Firewall settings
  • App settings
  • All installed 3rd party desktop programs (not Store apps). A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop after the refresh is finished to let you know which programs were removed.
  • You PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
  • Installed Windows Updates will be removed.
  • Some drivers may or may not be removed.

Tip   Tip
If you create a custom recovery image, a refresh will also contain the desktop apps you've installed, and the Windows system files in their current state. If you would like to be able to refresh Windows 8 with a custom recovery image, then you would need to create and register a custom image first.

Refresh Windows 8 - Create and Use Custom Recovery Image

OR

Refresh Windows 8 - Set a Custom Recovery Image as Active

warning   Warning
If you set UAC to Always notify me, then you will not be able to use the refresh and reset Windows 8 features. These features require UAC to be set to the default or lower level to work.

If you have an OEM PC that came with Windows 8 preinstalled and updated to Windows 8.1, then when you refresh Windows, it will restore Windows 8. Afterwards, you will need to update to Windows 8.1 via the Store again.

8-1refresh.png

OPTION ONE

How to Refresh Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 at Boot

1. Boot to the System Recovery Options using your Windows 8 installation DVD or USB thumb drive, or ISO file if in a virtual machine, and click/tap on the Refresh your PC option. (see screenshot below}​
Refresh-1.jpg
2. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)​
Refresh-2.jpg
3. If prompted, select the Windows 8 or 8.1 that you want to refresh. (see screenshot below)​
Refresh-3.jpg
4. Click/tap on Refresh. (see screenshot below)​
Refresh-4.jpg
5. Windows 8 or 8.1 will now start to be refreshed.​
6. When it's finished, you can now log back on to a refreshed Windows 8 or 8.1. (see screenshots below)​
Refresh-8A.jpgRefresh-8B.jpg

Note   Note
If any apps were removed during the refresh, you will find a Removed Apps.html file on the desktop detailing what it removed and at what time.

Note   Note

You will also now have a Windows.old folder that has been placed in the root directory of the Windows 8 or 8.1 drive that contains a copy of the previous Windows 8 or 8.1 installation before it was refreshed. This folder can be quite large in size, so the tutorial below will show you how to delete it if you like.​

OPTION TWO

Refresh Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 from within Windows 8 and 8.1

1. While signed in as an administrator in Windows 8 or 8.1, do step 2 or 3 below depending on which option you would prefer to use.​
2. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Recovery icon, click/tap on the If you're experiencing problems with your PC, you can refresh it in PC settings link, and go to step 4 or 5 below. (see screenshot below)​
Recovery.jpg
3. Open PC settings, and do step 4 or 5 below for the Windows 8 you have installed.​
4. If you have Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
A) On the left side in PC settings, click/tap on Update & Recovery. (see screenshot below)​
Windows_8.1_PC_settings-1.jpg
B) On the left side in Update & Recovery, click/tap on Recovery, click/tap on the Get started button under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files section on the right side, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below​
Windows_8.1_PC_settings-2.jpg
5. If you have Windows 8 or Windows RT
A) Click/tap on General on the left side, click/tap on the Get started button under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files section on the right side, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)​
General-reset.jpg
6. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.​
7. If prompted to Insert media, insert or connect your Windows installation DVD or USB, or ISO file if in a virtual machine.​
Refresh_Insert_Media.jpg
8. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)​
Refresh-5.jpg
8-1refresh.png
9. Click/tap on Refresh. (see screenshot below)​
Refresh-6.jpg
10. Windows 8 or 8.1 will now start to be refreshed.​
11. When it's finished, you can now log back on to a refreshed Windows 8 or 8.1. (see screenshots below)​
Refresh-8A.jpgRefresh-8B.jpg

Note   Note
If any desktop apps (programs) were removed during the refresh, you will find a Removed Apps.html file on the desktop detailing what it removed and at what time.

You will also now have a Windows.old folder that has been placed in the root directory of the Windows 8 or 8.1 drive that contains a copy of the previous Windows 8 or 8.1 installation before it was refreshed. This folder can be quite large in size, so the tutorial below will show you how to delete it if you like.

How to Delete the "Windows.old" Folder in Windows 8

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• General-refresh.jpg
    General-refresh.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 603
  • Refresh-7.jpg
    Refresh-7.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 873
  • Refresh.png
    Refresh.png
    608 bytes · Views: 505
Last edited:
Macrium

To create the rescue disc, which is what you use to recover and image, open Macrium Reflect, click on other tasks and then just follow the prompts. Linux is the one you will use to recover an image but I made one of WinPE also which I will probably never use. Try to forget the word Linux as it is only a title to you. It does all the work in plain English. You do not set the size as Macrium does it for you Likely you will end up with a 13 GB image. Imaging as you are doing is different than backing up and more effective.

Your source is your hard drive and other drives to be backed up and they come first to be checked. Do not include any destination discs here, only what you have in your pc.

Secondly, you will see 'destination' and that will be the external drive that you can find in your pc by going to 'This PC' and viewing the drive that is there. It may be E: or F: etc. That is your destination that is in your external drive.. Be sure both the power cable and the usb cable are connected so the pc can recognize them.

Questions = ask as many as you like to be comfortable. Let me know if I missed any.

Ultimately, you will create an image and learn by walking through it. If you make a mistake you can always delete the image in your pc at 'This PC'..

**remember it is the rescue disc you will use to recover the image.

Do you have the older BIOS where you just tap F12 to set the boot order or do you have the newer UEFI where you have to disable the secure boot and set the boot order?
The whole idea if there is a need to recover, is to be able to insert the rescue disc, boot from that disc, not Windows, and let Macrium take over. Either way we can get you set up when the time comes. Go back and try to understand what has been written so far.

YouTube has some video examples of Macrium backup and recovery but some can be misleading. Some select to image 'Windows' not 'all disc's and I have a problem with that. Some are a different version and appear differently.
If you watch videos at YouTube, just do so to get the general idea.

P.S. Win 8.1 has a native imaging program I prefer not to use compared to Macrium. = Control panel>file history>lower left>system image backup. This is too limited and I find Acronis too advanced for lower level users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8300, Dell Inspiron 15 R N5010
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
source

Here is what my source looks like. Even if you have more discs as source to be backed up, yours will be similar. Just do not check anything not in your pc. Macrium does the work.

source.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
Apps removed while refreshing your PC - HTML DOC MISSING!

I performed a Windows Refresh on my Laptop back on March 1, 2014. It generated a convenient list of ALL the Applications it removed from my Laptop entitled "Apps Removed While Refreshing Your PC". It even had a Date Stamp at the bottom of it.

Again I recently performed another Windows Refresh on my Laptop on DEC 8, 2014. Unfortunately --- this time it DID NOT generate a fresh copy of the "Apps Removed While Refreshing Your PC".

Now I have NO IDEA exactly which Applications were removed from my Laptop during the Windows Refresh !!!! I have NO IDEA exactly which Programs & Applications I need to re-install back onto my Laptop !! I searched my entire Laptop & it only found the OLD HTML type document back from March 1, 2014 entitled "Apps Removed While Refreshing Your PC".

So why didn't it create a fresh list of all the Applications Removed ?? Can anyone answer this mystery ?? No reason for this to have happened !! I have a fresh NEW copy of Windows 8 on my Laptop, plus later I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 - I fail to understand why it failed to generate a fresh new list.

I checked the OLD HTML Document it generated back on March 1, 2014, and same date stamp of March 1, 2014 was listed at the bottom. It did not even update the existing OLD document.

P.S. I am unable to attach an example file - Internet Explorer crashes when I try to attach a file into this Forum !! Tried several times & had to start all over.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
Someone with expertise like Brink will help you.

This is why I emphasize imaging so you always have an image to go to when trouble hits. This whole thread has dealt with imaging.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
Hello ajv, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Double check to see if you have a "C:\Windows.old" folder. If you do, then open it and look in the "C:\Windows.old\Program Files" folders to see if it may help show you what desktop apps you had installed in the previous installation. Each folder in the "C:\Windows.old\Program Files" folder could be for an installed app.

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

TO: BRINK

Thanks for your advise. Using Windows Explorer, I searched the entire "C" Drive for "C:\Windows.old" folder. But it did not exist. I surmise Windows should have saved a Windows.OLD File of prior System Files, but it did not. I also tried searching just "Windows.old", but nothing came up.

Seems what happened is simply a MicroSoft Windows Operating System failure. 1) It failed to save Windows.OLD, 2) Plus it failed to automatically generate a fresh copy of "Apps Removed While Refreshing Your PC".

I am unable to explain Windows System failures. Why do things work right first time, but NOT the next time ?? It is simply inconsistentcy on behalf of Windows Operating System !! My Laptop is less than one year old !!

Surely the Windows Operating System must have recognized that a Windows 8 Refresh was being performed. But it did not respond adequately.

Thank you for your efforts.
;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
So why didn't it create a fresh list of all the Applications Removed ?? Can anyone answer this mystery ??

Because you hit reset and not refresh..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

TO: KYHI

YOUR MESSAGE
Because you hit reset and not refresh..

MY REPLY
You are incorrect. The exact MicroSoft Windows Function I perfomed is called "Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files". So YES - I did perform a REFRESH. It is the exact same function I performed back in March 2014, when
it originally created the "Apps Removed While Refreshing Your PC".

Note - the HTML Document title even included the word "REFRESH", which is the exact function I performed. In March and December 2014, I performed a REFRESH.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
but you did not get the html doc Dec. 2014, so one must assume you hit reset by mistake..

And it ain't worth arguing over.. Hope you find the solution..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

YOUR MESSAGE
but you did not get the html doc Dec. 2014, so one must assume you hit reset by mistake..

And it ain't worth arguing over.. Hope you find the solution..

MY REPLY
Correct - I did not get the HTML Doc Dec 2014. No one is arguing here - only discussion. To get to the point, only 2 options exist for the Windows Operating System to fix it : 1) Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files OR 2) Remove Everything & Re-Install Windows.

I performed Option #1 on March AND December 2014. In December, it did not generate the HTML Doc. I can only attest it to a Windows Operating System FAILURE. Perhaps another person will have another suggestion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
you can use two commands to verify windows integrity

sfc /scannow

and

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

both must be run from Command prompt (admin)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

YOUR MESSAGE

you can use two commands to verify windows integrity

sfc /scannow

and

both must be run from Command prompt (admin)

MY REPLY
Thanks !! Yes -- I know about sfc / scannow, but will try the 2nd one in Command Prompt as well. Hopefully my Command Prompt is already setup to run in admin mode. Otherwise, I know there is another step to perform to get it to run in admin.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
right click start flag - command prompt(admin)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Command Prompt 2X

Just as I thought, my Command Prompt will NOT run in Admin Mode.

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the SFC Facility.

I am already setup as an administrator on my Laptop, so not sure why Windows Command Prompt does not recognize that.

I can Google instructions how to get my Command Prompt to work in Admin Mode. Unless you have Quick
Instructions how to do it ?? Thanks.
:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
Command Prompt 2X

Your Message
right click start flag - command prompt(admin)

My Reply
Thanks !! It works now.........will run both Command Prompts as you suggested. Can let you know results, if you want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
Command Prompt 2X

Please explain exactly what does this Command Prompt do ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
Command Prompts 2X

SFC Scan finished - no problems found. Got this message "Windows Resource Protection Did Not Find Any Integrity Violations".

The other Commmand Prompt Scan is still in progress. Yes..........very SLOW.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
Command Prompt 2X

Finished the other Command Prompt Scan. Thanks for your suggestion, bcuz seems it found some corruption & fixed it.

RESULTS: "The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired. The operations completed successfully."

Seems it found some corruption & repaired it -- even though I just re-installed Windows Operating System 8 a couple of days ago, plus upgrade to 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    TOSHIBA
    Antivirus
    IOLO
I got a problem. My latest acquisition an Asus X205TA 1.0 laptop can only boot from the internal disk - not USB. How can I get the refresh recovery started if the thing is completely dead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back