Solved Question on W7- W8 dual booting:

Gustavius99

Okay, after I installed Windows 8 RP (I had Windows 8 CP previously installed as sole OS), I went and installed Windows 7 Home Premium from a disk into a separate partition. I am no longer interested in Windows 7 at all and I want to remove Windows 7 from my computer completely. I want to delete the entire partition that houses it and everything it contains and leave W8CP as the sole OS on this computer.
I can't seem to find the partition that contains it so I can format and remove it (in My Computer).
How do I locate this partition, format and delete it without disrupting the partition that contains W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home build, Case is Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320 8 core CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    Memory
    Team Group Zeus overclockable 16Gb, 4x4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X x2
    Sound Card
    Several audio adapters
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ 27" x2
    Screen Resolution
    1920x 1080P
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb,
    WD 1Tb 7200 rpm internal HDD,
    WD My Book Essential 1Tb 7200 external backup drive USB 3.0,
    Pioneer Electronics Blu Ray Combo Drive.
    PSU
    EVGA 850W B2 Modular
    Case
    Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    Cooling
    Stock AMD downblowing heatsink and fan
    Keyboard
    Steelseries mechanical cherry red keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Xfinity 100- 150Mps
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton Security Suite
You will see it in diskmgt

It will be labelled system

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I just found a nice little program called "Easy BCD 2.1.2". It enabled me to delete the Windows 7 partition with two clicks. Windows 8 took care of everything else. Issue solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home build, Case is Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320 8 core CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    Memory
    Team Group Zeus overclockable 16Gb, 4x4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X x2
    Sound Card
    Several audio adapters
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ 27" x2
    Screen Resolution
    1920x 1080P
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb,
    WD 1Tb 7200 rpm internal HDD,
    WD My Book Essential 1Tb 7200 external backup drive USB 3.0,
    Pioneer Electronics Blu Ray Combo Drive.
    PSU
    EVGA 850W B2 Modular
    Case
    Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    Cooling
    Stock AMD downblowing heatsink and fan
    Keyboard
    Steelseries mechanical cherry red keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Xfinity 100- 150Mps
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton Security Suite
Welcome Sabu - For the best results, always start your own thread if you have a new question for the forum - especially if the original poster has marked it solved!

I find using a thumbdrive or external USB disk drive is possibly the safest way of running Windows 8 in a dual booting situation, since it will boot entirely separately from the internally installed system.

It is also one of the easier and quicker means of installation.

See the tutorial below for some excellent guidance.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk.html

The read speed of the drive is important - write speed less so, since Windows 8 to go is optimized to make as few writes to the thumbdrive as necessary. So I recommend using the ATTO benchmark tools first. There are other benchmark tools for Flash drives: Google Flash drive benchmark for a range of alternatives

Apart from directly from the internet from the Microsoft site for the Windows 8 Release Preview Setup
Download Windows 8 Release Preview

As an Upgrade:

Upgrade Install from Windows 7 or Vista to Windows 8

In this installation, setup is run from within Windows 7 (or 8) using an Iso file from the above Microsoft page.

For a clean install, booting from the same install media on bootable DVD or USB is required:

Clean Install - Windows 8

Another way does not require the setup file at all. - The way I do it now is to use Dism.exe, but before I used Imagex.exe to unpack the install.wim directly to the partitioned and formatted target drive or virtual hard disk.

Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk

It has the benefit of being quick, and can also be used to install Windows 8 to USB external disks and Thumb drives for portable installations.

Instead of using Imagex, which requires another large download of WAIK, you can use the built-in deployment and Imaging tool dism.exe, which is found in the downloaded Windows 8 setup .iso file from Microsoft, and also I think in Vista SP1.

You can mount the .iso file as a virtual BD-ROM, and run the installation from the commandline.

Here's the basic process.

Download the iso file from the Microsoft site for the Windows 8 Release Preview Setup
Download Windows 8 Release Preview

Prepare the drive using diskpart as a NTFS formatted primary active partition of 16 GB or greater (the minimum I have comfortably run Windows 8 in is 10 GB)

Mount the iso file as a virtual DVD-ROM using Virtual CloneDrive (I have used the drive letter D: in my example)

Using Dism.exe to unpack the install.wim directly to the partitioned and formatted target drive or virtual hard disk (I have used the drive letter T: in my example) :

Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk

There can be a couple of problems, one of which is that you can boot, but not run Windows from your USB drive - this may be solved by installing to a VHD - a virtual hard disk on the USB drive. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2393-windows-8-vhd-create-boot-dual-boot.html?filter[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

Another is that you cannot even boot - you may find that Plop Boot manager may help Plop - Documentation / Manual / Examples - Free Boot Manager, builtin usb driver, native usb, boot different operating systems, cdrom, usb, freeware, option rom bios

Another I discovered is that Windows update may not work, and that you cannot install printers etc I found help on that here:
http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...-rp-windows-update-check-fails-8007005-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt