Problem with booting

PaulA

Hi,
my laptop (Windows 8.1) had stopped responding and the CPU was constantly at 100%, so I decided to reboot but got the blue screen of death and couldn't do anything, for example start in safe mode. I kept getting the blue screen of death.
Anyway, I found an old recovery disk and it managed to start after I changed the BIOS. There was an option to fix booting and I used it without realizing it was not the right one for my laptop, as it transformed GPT to MBR and now the boot section is not even recognized because UEFI needs GPT?
I see there is a command prompt to change it back in Windows 10, but not in Windows 8. All I found for Windows 8 is a command with DISKPART, but it only finds my main drive/partition???
How can I fix this Is it fixable at all? Will refreshing the laptop recreate the partition too?
Wondershare (the disk that changed booting to MBR) also has a program called Partition Genius. It only finds my main partition too, and it says it is unformatted (I still see my data though) and gives an option to set it active. The option to create a new partition is greyed out.
What can I do?
Thank you!
Paul

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
OK, I found a mini Windows XP bootable disk and can go from computer management and it can see a recovery partition too apart from the main drive. It says that both are healthy, so it is a software problem.
I also have recovery DVD. One starts, but I could not fix the problem (I didn't try refresh or reset yet).
The other recovery disks don't start and I get an error message saying BIOS is not UEFI (it started fine before the MBR change), even if it is (I checked). The other disk starts in CMS mode, but as I said I could not fix the problem with advanced tools.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
Sorry to post again, but I cannot edit old posts. Well, from disk management (in mini Windows XP) if I go to Properties and then Volumes for the main drive it's all empty??? Is it because it is not the real system?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
you did not say in your 1st post what kind of laptop you are using, which would have been more helpful in solving your problem

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB
Reminds me of the guy who decided to go swimming in a Quick Sand pit. The more he struggles, the deeper he sinks.

Old saying from my early days as an office machine tech, "Don't force it....get a bigger hammer!"

Good Luck and Happy 4th, everybody,
TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core