Power plan settings keeps on reverting back after restart

captainmojo

Good day everyone!

I just had my laptop install Windows 8.1 tonight. It's a clean install, by the way. Now the problem is I noticed that every time I restart my laptop it's power plan reverts back to "power saver", I had it set on "high performance" before. I own a Samsung laptop, model is NP535U3C-A01, Series 5.

Processor: AMD A6-4455
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7500G

Oh and one more thing... it stops charging at 99%. :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung
    CPU
    AMD A6-4455M APU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7500G
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
There may be some specific power drivers and software for that particular laptop, look on their website in the support section for device drivers and support programs.

Usually Samsung and Toshiba laptops will have some kind of special power software, so you would have to download that and set the power settings in that software otherwise it will keep on reverting every time you reboot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Well, I know that I've installed all the drivers provided by Samsung but I noticed that in my notifications menu it says there's a missing driver and it's the Radio HID Mini. I know I've installed it since I have the driver installers with me. And when I try to install it the setup says there's no need for me install since it's already installed. Mmm, I'm pretty much confused now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung
    CPU
    AMD A6-4455M APU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7500G
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
My Acer laptop came with an "Acer power manager" program that did the same thing. I can't remember the exact name since I uninstalled it. That did solve the problem, however! Perhaps Samsung has the same kind of app - check the "uninstall" list in Control Panel.

I guess the manufacturers just love to try to manage all aspects of the PC for you. This is fine for the clueless user, but it only frustrates someone who wants to tweak things to their liking.

Kind of like Apple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 consumer 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644
    CPU
    Intel Core I5
    Memory
    6 GB
    Hard Drives
    Spinning/SSD hybrid 500GB/20GB
    Mouse
    ELAN Trackpad
    Internet Speed
    18mbs/5mbs
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
If you install the latest version of AMD Catalyst Software maybe the issue regarding the power plan could be fixed since you can edit that on the program itself... as for the missing driver, uninstall it and then reinstall it (a reboot is suggested for better results)! Hope that helped! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows 8.1 Update Pro with Media Center/Windows Technical Preview [All 64-bit]
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g6-1d85nr Notebook PC
    CPU
    AMD A4-3305M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.9GHz
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 169B
    Memory
    4GB Ramaxel DDR3 RAM 1.33 GHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Toshiba HDD MQ01ABD050 ATA Device
    Internet Speed
    1 Mb/s Download & 400 Kb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11 [default]/ Pale Moon [64-bit]
    Antivirus
    MS System Center Endpoint Protection
I had the same problem with my Samsung Laptop, NP520U4C-A01UB. I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD and did a clean install to Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1. While optimizing my SSD with the Samsung Magician software, I change the OS Optimization to High Performance and enabled Rapid Mode. Did a benchmark on performance and the numbers were great.

Later, I opened the Samsung Settings app, and changed Silent Mode from Off to Auto. This actually changed alot of things. The power saver went from High Performance to Power Saver, and my SSD benchmark numbers dropped dramatically. Thankfully it was a clean install and I hadn't install much yet, so I was able to remember what I did in the previous couple of days.

In short, I do use the Samsung Settings software to change things like how much to charge the battery - currently only to 80%. However, if you change the Silent Mode feature, it will change your power options and SSD performance. I've attached some screenshots to help show.

Samsung Settings.JPG

Before-After-Silent-Mode.JPG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I am having the same problem on my windows 8.1 samsung laptop. I've tried almost every suggestion, i didn't worked. I'm having this problem for more than 6 month. sometimes It works fine and then some problem. Can anyone help me with this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP300E5C-A0CIN
    CPU
    i3 2nd gen
Back