Solved Power fail during upgrade assistant

Apriori

I ran upgrade assistant to upgrade from windows 7 to 8. I had paid for my upgrade and assistant was downloading my upgrade. It had got to 70% but was taking for ever due to my poor bandwidth, I live in the boondocks in Thailand. I left my computer running and went to bed, big mistake. The next morning I found that we had had a power failure during the night. I could not find my upgrade and running assistant again seems to want me to pay again. I don't know if everything downloaded before the power outage.

how do I recover my upgrade? Do I have to start again? If I do have to start again, how?

it seems that I am going senile. After turning my C drive inside out searching for the assistant I found a little shortcut on my desktop called install Windows as I hadn't seen this before I looked at its properties to find that it started the next stage of the upgrade. I now feel so stupid.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 7
Go to your E-mail from Microsoft again, the one titled: Thanks for ordering Windows 8 (order # xxxxxxxxxx).

Click on the word here in this paragraph:

This is your receipt - make sure to print or save a copy for your records.
If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.

That will open the download window as follows:

2013-01-25 23-01-38_Opening Windows8-Setup.jpg

Make sure you you follow to path to create media for installation at a later date, either DVD or a flash drive so you'll never have to do this again.

That same E-mail has a line near the bottom like this:

To always have the software as physical backup media at hand, order your personal backup DVD now. If your download link is so bad, perhaps that is a better way to get it.

Also shown here: http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/11002-how-redownload-your-windows-8-upgrade-setup-d-l.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo