Post beeps on Medion PC

70816Bit

I'm after some advice please, my old PC running Windows 8, that is about 10 years old, is experiencing issue when I go to first power on, from the pressing the power on the tower. I get three post beeps, that kind of sound like one longish one and then two beeps after. Sometimes, it will power on and other times not. I, sometimes have to play about with the rocker switch at the back. There's been no hardware changes. Notably, it won't come on after a few attempts, if you leave it - it will come on and works fine (just not reliable and a bit hit and miss). So, far after a bit of research, I've had the case off and;

- Re-seated the RAM; took it out and tried the alternative slot.

- Checked all connections.

- Cleaned with canned air.

CPUID, tells me that the model is MEDION MS-7857 and it's and AMD board. From the PSU currently on board, I can see its DC Output 350W. I am thinking it's the PSU, that is at fault unless anyone can point to another way of checking. If, it is then would anyone would be to recommend which PSU would be suitable as in the wattage (it's not a gaming PC), what connections to look for and finally any good guides and or and advice to fitting a new one.

My Computer

One other possibility to check and that's the power switch on the front or top of the computer. I've seen the front on/off switch fail on a couple of PCs. Check your motherboard specs. There's either a simple on-off pushbutton or, more likely, a set of small pins pointing upward two of which will activate the power supply to turn on. There's some skinny wires going from the front panel to the motherboard. Unplug them. You test it by touching a flat-blade screwdriver to those two pins. Every motherboard has them. If that works it means the front panel switch needs replacing. Check the diagram shown here as an example:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    Memory
    4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX-1050Ti
One other possibility to check and that's the power switch on the front or top of the computer. I've seen the front on/off switch fail on a couple of PCs. Check your motherboard specs. There's either a simple on-off pushbutton or, more likely, a set of small pins pointing upward two of which will activate the power supply to turn on. There's some skinny wires going from the front panel to the motherboard. Unplug them. You test it by touching a flat-blade screwdriver to those two pins. Every motherboard has them. If that works it means the front panel switch needs replacing. Check the diagram shown here as an example:

Hi,

Thanks, have had a look at that - just not got round to dismantling my PC again yet, apologies as you can see from the late response. I took a photo of my board and think I can just about the see the front panel pins. I watched a video, where someone disconnected the white and yellow cables and tried the screwdriver trick. I'm guessing if it is, then a new PSU may work better or not sure if it will if its the button thought. Taking the front panel off looks a bit tricky, but wouldn't fancy doing the screwdriver thing and keeping it without a side panel.

Will keep posted on here any updates. Thinking I may replace the PSU at some point or another. I picked up another PC used cheaply where I live, just as a spare if you will and had look around the back and expected to see what I think you would call a separate switch like - a more direct one than from the front, but no. So, that is something for me to consider.

Also, really strange and I guess kind of an update. I use a two way HDMI splitter from the PC's monitor to my works laptop, when I don't select number 1 for my PC and leave it on the laptop option number 2, that's when I'll get the beeps. If, a power on with the right connection input selected for PC; one slight beep, it still comes on though. It's so odd, yet am sure if I didn't have no HDMI splitter plugged in, I'd get the beeps and no output. I do need to try this though - when I can get the back of the machine and not using my works laptop at some point.

My Computer

Back