Possibility of retail copy of Windows 8 on TWO machines?

pixeldust

I would like to do a fresh install of Windows 8 to eliminate the bloatware on my Asus N56VZ.

The notebook came OEM pre-installed with Windows 8 and I know that the Product Key on this notebook resides in the BIOS on the motherboard. My specific question is, If I purchase a new retail copy of Windows 8, can I install the retail copy whenever I want and use the motherboard resident BIOS product key and ALSO install the retail copy on to another different PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys?

In other words, can I use the new purchased retail copy of Windows 8 on TWO PC's at the same time? One being the N56VZ with BIOS supplied Product Keys and another PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys!
confused2.gif

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus N56VZ-RH71
    CPU
    i7 3630QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT650M
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080 FHD
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
my unprofessional opinion is no ,because the bios key will be looking for oem disk ,but i could be wrong, i have never had success in trying to use oem key with a retail copy of windows, only ever tried this with win7 and Vista not with win8
when i enter the oem key it always tells me not the correct key !but it might be possible if you can choose to skip enter the key section ,,but i dont get that option when installing win8 ,and install win8 then go to change key section and install the oem key ,but i have read that you will need to call Microsoft to activate

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I would like to do a fresh install of Windows 8 to eliminate the bloatware on my Asus N56VZ.

The notebook came OEM pre-installed with Windows 8 and I know that the Product Key on this notebook resides in the BIOS on the motherboard. My specific question is, If I purchase a new retail copy of Windows 8, can I install the retail copy whenever I want and use the motherboard resident BIOS product key and ALSO install the retail copy on to another different PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys?

In other words, can I use the new purchased retail copy of Windows 8 on TWO PC's at the same time? One being the N56VZ with BIOS supplied Product Keys and another PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys!
confused2.gif

Thanks!
Are you talking about using retail upgrade software or system builder software? I am going to assume the first for now.

On each machine, you would need to forfeit a product key for qualifying software IMO. But, my understanding is that the qualifying software need not be installed. So, if you have two qualifying software product keys to forfeit, then I think that what you want to do sounds pretty OK EULA-wise. This situation seems akin to having two retail upgrade product keys and downloading/using the same ISO for use in upgrading on two machines--forfeiting a qualifying product key in each case. There is a "small" technical difference, but I can't put my finger on any implied EULA violation.

Note that you could downgrade the OEM/Win8 Preinstalled machine to Win7 before doing the upgrade if you have a Win7 product key to forfeit Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7. Doing so might make the whole process go more smoothly. In qualifying systems are not installed, then you also might need to activate one, or the other, of the machines using the refresh procedure described here: Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade.

Personally, I'd try what you want using MS system builder software installed under the personal-use license. This way I'd, as far as possible, be out from under the thumbs of both MS and your OEM.

Note that I am not saying that you will be able to accomplish what you want on the OEM machine physically. But, others apparently have had success in doing what you want on OEM/Preinstalled Win8 machines.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
for me when i tried to use oem key with retail copies of windows,full version not upgrades . ,it always says wrong key .
having said that i only ever tried with win7 and vista.xp ,i don't have a machine with oem win8 on it to try . i speak from experience ,not with expertize

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
for me when i tried to use oem key with retail copies of windows,full version not upgrades . ,it always says wrong key .
having said that i only ever tried with win7 and vista.xp ,i don't have a machine with oem win8 on it to try . i speak from experience ,not with expertize
I see. I had thought that earlier you had tried having an OEM key from an OEM/Preinstalled Win8 machine work, but apparently not. I take it that the OEM key you tried was not embedded, right? If yes, then I think your case doesn't imply much for the OP. But, he should still think things out carefully in this regard--allowing a way to get back to where he started if possible on the OEM.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
My oh my, oh my.

Do I understand ?

If you want to wipe your OEM computer use the system restore disc that you made *( Didn't you ! :eek: ).

Or get a system restore disc from you computer manufacturer. Or just use one of the Win 8 features.

It will take off everything and leave you with your computer just like the day you bought it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
My oh my, oh my.

Do I understand ?

If you want to wipe your OEM computer use the system restore disc that you made *( Didn't you ! :eek: ).

Or get a system restore disc from you computer manufacturer. Or just use one of the Win 8 features.

It will take off everything and leave you with your computer just like the day you bought it.

Yes, to be safe I right away created a system restore disk! :thumb:... Actually, I made a bootable 16GB USB flash recovery drive which has a recovery partition! The problem with that would be if I were to recover back to the factory setup I would then have all the bloatware installed which is what I am trying to avoid.

What I am really trying to achieve is a CLEAN install on to my pre-installed Windows 8 OEM notebook. I want the clean install without all the bloatware.

I would really like to find a reliable and safe Windows 8 ISO to install cleanly on the machine and then I could use the Asus supplied Drivers & Utilities disk to cherry pick the stuff I want without all the bloatware. However, I can't seem to fine a reliable source for the Windows 8 ISO so with that hassle I figured it would be nice to have the real deal retail media to load anytime I want to do another clean install.

What I am actually doing is removing the Asus OEM installed 750GB HDD 7200 rpm drive after creating a bootable USB flash recovery drive for it and storing it away. I am then installing a new Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to replace the HDD.

I was hoping to install Windows 8 cleanly on to the new SSD and then install all the required utilities and drivers using the Asus supplied disk. I was hoping to avoid using the new retail copy of Windows 8 product keys in hopes that I could use the retail product keys on another PC that currently has Windows 7 on it. My ultimate hope was that I could use the resident product keys embedded on the Asus BIOS and install the retail copy OS and save the product keys on the retail copy to install the OS again for use on a second machine.

Anyhow, I hope I have not confused anyone with my long verbiage! I hope you can get the intent of what I am trying to achieve!

Thanks!

...Glenn :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus N56VZ-RH71
    CPU
    i7 3630QM
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT650M
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080 FHD
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
why not just uninstall the bloatware ,most of it east to spot in control panel/programs. or you could try pc Decrapafier,safe to try and get a list of programs to pick from .

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
My oh my, oh my.

Do I understand ?

Yes, to be safe I right away created a system restore disk! :thumb:... Actually, I made a bootable 16GB USB flash recovery drive which has a recovery partition! The problem with that would be if I were to recover back to the factory setup I would then have all the bloatware installed which is what I am trying to avoid.

What I am really trying to achieve is a CLEAN install on to my Windows 8 OEM pre-installed notebook. I want the clean install without all the bloatware.

I would really like to find a reliable and safe Windows 8 ISO to install cleanly on the machine and then I could use the Asus supplied Drivers & Utilities disk to cherry pick the stuff I want without all the bloatware. However, I can't seem to fine a reliable source for the Windows 8 ISO so with that hassle I figured it would be nice to have the real deal retail media to load anytime I want to do another clean install.

What I am actually doing is removing the Asus OEM installed 750GB HDD 7200 rpm drive after creating a bootable USB flash recovery drive for it and storing it away. I am then installing a new Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD to replace the HDD.

I was hoping to install Windows 8 cleanly on to the new SSD and then install all the required utilities and drivers using the Asus supplied disk. I was hoping to avoid using the new retail copy of Windows 8 product keys in hopes that I could use the retail product keys on another PC that currently has Windows 7 on it. My ultimate hope was that I could use the resident product keys embedded on the Asus BIOS and install the retail copy OS and save the product keys on the retail copy to install the OS again for use on a second machine.

Anyhow, I hope I have not confused anyone with my long verbiage! I hope you can get the intent of what I am trying to achieve!

Thanks!

I would just try and see if it would install and work you have nothing to loose but time. The disk need to be the same version of windows that is installed on the box and not an upgrade disk. Do not use your new key on your oem box.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
My oh my, oh my.

Do I understand ?

What I am really trying to achieve is a CLEAN install on to my pre-installed Windows 8 OEM notebook. I want the clean install without all the bloatware.

Thanks!

Didn't confuse me. Did you see my original reply to you?

So, you want an ISO? Use use Windows Upgrade Assistant – Download and Run--assuming the "bitness" of the two machines you want install on is the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

confused2.gif

Thanks!

As you will have two Product Keys, YES, you can.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

Microsoft said:
Purchasing a full version of Windows 8

If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions). If available in your country or region, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder products can be purchased at participating stores, you'll need to ask a sales rep for more info. This version doesn't include customer support.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
i think there is only one question being asked by the OP,

? can they format there laptop and use retail dvd of win8 to reinstall it on there laptop, using the laptops OEM key, not the retail key

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
Below, in quotes, is what he said recently above--which is consistent, more or less, with his original post. I think I gave him his answers on his basic issues in my first post.

"I was hoping to install Windows 8 cleanly on to the new SSD and then install all the required utilities and drivers using the Asus supplied disk. I was hoping to avoid using the new retail copy of Windows 8 product keys in hopes that I could use the retail product keys on another PC that currently has Windows 7 on it. My ultimate hope was that I could use the resident product keys embedded on the Asus BIOS and install the retail copy OS and save the product keys on the retail copy to install the OS again for use on a second machine."

I'll now add that I know nothing about the ASUS supplied disc--so I can't help on the part about "
install all the required utilities and drivers using the Asus supplied disk" He did not mention the new SSD in his original post, but I'd still reply essentially the same way (but no downgrading to Win7 needed).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I need to sift out some wheat from some chaff:

* If you have a computer with Win 8 pre installed it is the OEM regular not the Pro.

* If you run a system restore disc it will take away everything, bloatware, *( i.e. 3rd party software, NOT Windows 8 apps. ). your files, 3rd party software all kaput, adios. All that you will have left is your original factory installed.

* If you buy a Windows 8 Pro, it will install on a new hard drive or on an other computer with Windows 7. Either, or, but not both. One license one install.

* If you install Windows 8 Pro on a new clean hard drive. You can also use that same disc and that same product key to install and upgrade existing Win 8 OEM regular to Windows 8 Pro on another computer.

* When you buy Windows 8 Pro, in the box, it comes with two disc, a 64 bit and a 32 bit. If you install with the 64 bit you cannot use the 32 bit on another computer. It will reject and tell you the product key was already used.

* You cannot purchase and install Windows Media Center, a separate add on app, from Win 8 OEM regular. Only from Win 8 Pro.

BTW can we get a definition, and description, of "bloatware" ?

Are you dealing with 2 computers or 3 ?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
I'll now add that I know nothing about the ASUS supplied disc--.
OP does not have the Asus supplied disk ,

my last post because this thread is getting to confusing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
I guess I an can't really tell either, but he said "I was hoping to install Windows 8 cleanly on to the new SSD and then install all the required utilities and drivers using the Asus supplied disk." Maybe he doesn't have the disc already.

Who knows? I think pixeldust has bitten the dust anyway.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
There is no "full" retail version of Windows 8. The only "full" version is the OEM version and under the system builder license it can be used almost the same as a "full" retail version. The other versions of Windows 8 are all "update" versions. If you buy an OEM version that matches your current OEM version (8 or Pro) then it "may" install with the embedded OEM key and then you can also install on another PC using the new purchased OEM key. Two installs with two keys. If it does not work then you still have the new unused key so no harm done.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Correct. And, he also can do what he wants through an upgrade assuming he has two two product keys from qualifying software he is willing to forfeit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

As long as the versions are the same, meaning you have the retail Windows 8 or the Retail Windows 8 Pro and that matches what was preinstalled on your OEM computer, yes..you will be able to use the media on the OEM PC and it will utilize the embedded key in the BIOS.

I bought 5 Acer All in Ones for a work project. I was able to take a Technet disk and an MSDN disk and installed Windows 8 no problem back onto these computers. They never asked for a key and they activated immediately once connected to the Internet. Absolute, piece of cake.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Back