Permanently remove Touch Keyboard toolbar from taskbar?

Nemix

Power User
On the topic of Windows 8 customization, is there a way to permanently remove the Touch Keyboard toolbar from taskbar?

I've tried disabling the service in Control Panel > Services then removing the Touch Keyboard toolbar via right click on task bar but after shut-down/restart the toolbar still comes back (it's just annoying and takes up valuable task bar space).

Thanks again,

Edit:

Thanks Brink, didn't think I needed to create another thread but come to think off it Windows 8 is still very new and others may have the same problem.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
search 'Mouse'
and in the last tab you might have something like this:

goo.PNG

Make sure "Remove tray icon from taskbar" is checked.

Although yours might be different, since it varies between touch mouse models I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft
    CPU
    i5-3210M
    Motherboard
    m6 1125dx
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    Case
    Hp
    Cooling
    Dry Ice and fridge
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dead
    Internet Speed
    Almost hit 2kbps
    Other Info
    I'm trying to get win8 onto iPad as main OS

Have an Hp Envy Laptop
Just tested this myself:

The Windows 8 Touch Keyboard on the Taskbar is on by default with Windows 8. This is a desktop computer with NO touchscreen so I have ZERO NEED for a Microsoft Toolbar with a "Touch Keyboard" on it.

I disable the Touch Keyboard Toolbar by Right-clicking the Taskbar, go to Toolbars Menu Item and UNCHECK "Touch Keyboard".

With a normal reboot, the Touch Keyboard Toolbar remains off.

But if the computer goes to sleep, when it comes out of sleep the Touch Keyboard Toolbar will be there again every time. It is easily repeatable.

Does anyone else have this? I've seen other pages describing this but apparently, it doesn't bother many people.

I tried all the latest Microsoft Updates and the problem persists. I even read one website saying that it was a rights issue with a file. So I did a "Take Ownership" of all files and folders in Windows and rebooted. Same problem - go to sleep and the Touch Keyboard Toolbar comes right back.

Can't Microsoft do anything right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Since I'm on a Desktop I don't have that option under the Mouse thing. I've tried just disabling the Touch Keyboard toolbar by right clicking my taskbar but it comes back every time I reboot or log off/on. I tried setting the service to Stop and only start Manually but it doesn't even appear to phase it.

I was going to try disabling toolbars entirely but it turns out my version of 8.1 apparently doesn't have gpedit.msc or something.

I'm pretty sure it was turned on when I plugged in my Huion H610 but I can't even open the Tablet Settings, nothing at all happens when I try to open it. Huion said it was probably because I plugged it in before installing Huion's drivers but I don't know how to uninstall whatever generic driver Windows installed for it.

edit: If anyone else wants to try removing it by disabling toolbars entirely but doesn't have Pro, ergo no gpedit.msc then you can try regedit instead.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]

Create a new REG_DWORD called "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar" with the value of 1.

Taskbar Toolbars - Enable or Disable

Also some information on what that does from here: Group Policy Search

This setting affects the taskbar.

The taskbar includes the Start button, buttons for currently running tasks, custom toolbars, the notification area, and the system clock. Toolbars include Quick Launch, Address, Links, Desktop, and other custom toolbars created by the user or by an application.

If this setting is enabled, the taskbar does not display any custom toolbars, and the user cannot add any custom toolbars to the taskbar. Moreover, the "Toolbars" menu command and submenu are removed from the context menu. The taskbar displays only the Start button, taskbar buttons, the notification area, and the system clock.

If this setting is disabled or is not configured, the taskbar displays all toolbars. Users can add or remove custom toolbars, and the "Toolbars" command appears in the context menu.

After you do that just log off then back on. The Touch Keyboard toolbar won't come back. I don't use toolbars myself so it's not a problem but if you have others that you do use then I guess you'll still be looking for another solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 4930K
    Motherboard
    Asus X79 Deluxe
    Memory
    G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD,
    4TB WD Red,
    1TB WD Black (x3),
    2TB Seagate External
    PSU
    Corsair RM850 80+ Gold
    Case
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
    Mouse
    Logitech G600
    Browser
    Firefox
    Other Info
    Waiting to update graphics card for something like a Titan 2. More 4TB Reds will be purchased in the future, phasing the 1TB Blacks out.
Nice idea Tiffany - expect it would work. But we need our Desktop and QuickLaunch toolbars, so won't work for us. Pity. But there could be something lurking in the registry that just kills the Touch Keyboard toolbar. Insane that we cant get rid of the stupid thing!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back