OneDrive - Map OneDrive in This PC in Windows 8.1

How to Map OneDrive in This PC in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

information   Information
SkyDrive is now called OneDrive instead.

OneDrive is Now Available Worldwide: Free Cloud Storage for Microsoft, iOS, and Android Devices | OneDrive Blog

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive.com. Store any file on OneDrive and it's automatically available to access or share from any device. .

In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, OneDrive is more deeply integrated at the system level. You need to sign in with a Microsoft account to browse your OneDrive and keep your files and settings in sync.

• If you sign in to Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 with a Microsoft account, your OneDrive folders are now displayed in the navigation pane of File Explorer for easier access and management while online or offline. In addition, the OneDrive app will still always be available on your Start screen for access since it can no longer be uninstalled. There's no need to map OneDrive in This PC when signed in with a Microsoft account unless you just wanted to.

• If you sign in to Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 with a local account, then you can only use the OneDrive app to browse your PC. To browse your OneDrive files while signed in to a local account in Windows 8.1, you'll need to go to OneDrive.com. Mapping OneDrive in This PC would give a local account another way to access OneDrive.

See also: OneDrive: FAQ - Windows Help

This tutorial will show you how map OneDrive to add it as a network location in This PC for your account in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1.

Note   Note

• Files on a mapped OneDrive are available online only. You must be connected to the internet for the mapped OneDrive to be able to sign in to your online OneDrive.
  • To make files on the mapped OneDrive available offline, you would need to manually copy them from the mapped OneDrive while online to another local folder on the PC.
  • In Windows 8 and Windows RT, you could use the OneDrive Desktop app instead to be able have OneDrive files available online and offline.
  • In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, the OneDrive Desktop app no longer works or does anything.

Here's How:

1. Open This PC in File Explorer, and click/tap on the Computer tab, and click/tap the Map network drive icon in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)
Map_SkyDrive-2.jpg

2. Select a drive letter (ex: S) to be assigned to the mapped OneDrive, check the Reconnect at sign-in box, and copy and paste the address below into the Folder field. (see screenshot below)

https://d.docs.live.net/
Map_SkyDrive-3.jpg

3. Sign in to your online OneDrive at OneDrive.com, click/tap on Files on the left side, and copy only your unique CID number after cid= in the address bar. (see screenshot below)
Map_SkyDrive-1.jpg

4. Paste your CID number at the end of the address in the "Folder" field from step 2, and click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below step 2)
EXAMPLE:
Substitute ####CID#### in the folder address with your actual CID number from step 3.​

https://d.docs.live.net/####CID####

5. Windows will now attempt to connect to your OneDrive to map it. (see screenshot below)
Map_SkyDrive-4.jpg

6. After a moment, you will be prompted to enter your OneDrive (Microsoft account) sign in credentials, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: If you like, check the Remember my credentials box to not have to sign in every time you open the mapped OneDrive in This PC.
Map_SkyDrive-5.jpg

7. When Windows has finished mapping your OneDrive, you can rename it to what you like (ex: OneDrive). (see screenshot below)
Map_SkyDrive-6.jpg

Tip   Tip
If you ever wanted to remove the mapped OneDrive, then you could right click or press and hold on it, and click/tap on Disconnect.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• OneDrive.png
    OneDrive.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
I have both a Windows 7 box and a Surface 3 Pro 8.1. In Windows 7 the mapped One Drive shows up under Computer as a shared drive as well as a Network Location. On the Surface Pro 3 it only shows as a network location even though I used the "map network drive" function. Is this just a difference to be expected between the two versions of the OS?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Both 7 and 8.1
Hello XFA1, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It does the same for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thank you Brink. I forgot to add that, like some other posts in this thread, the file and folder counts are reported incorrectly and they differ on the two OSes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Both 7 and 8.1
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons why I go to my OneDrive online instead. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS