On (Almost) Using Only the Desktop

znod

Power User
On Using Win8 Mostly Like Win7

Hi All:

There is a great deal of discussion about Win7 versus Win8; not liking the Win8 "style;" missing the Win7-style Orb/Start Menu etc., the inefficiency of Win8, etc., etc., etc.

Personally, I am uninterested in the Win8 "style," and, unless just playing around or satisfying my goal mentioned below, I would like to never see it. I am not interested in it because I think there are better, including more efficient, ways of getting the things I want to do done.

So, in setting up Win8, my goal has been to use Win8 more or less the way I use Win7. Doing so isn't a very big deal. What I have done is totally simple, although I am not completely done with the process. Here are the things I have done, or will do, in accomplishing my goal:

1. I changed my login to employ a local account rather than to sign in to an MS account (i.e., go Charm Bar Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Switch to a local account, etc.). In general, I am not interested in starting with a username and password that reaches out to cyberspace.;

2. I created a folder called Apps. This folder contains shortcuts to all apps I might want to access quickly. To get the shortcuts, I went Charm Bar > Search--which brings up "Apps" (as defined implicitly by Win8). Right clicking on an app not part of Metro allowed me to "Open File Location" for the app and make a shortcut to place in the Apps folder. In this regard, the term "App" includes things like Control Panel and Help and Support. Finally, by right clicking on the Task Bar, I created a new Toolbar for the Apps folder. Opening the Apps toolbar brings up a list of apps, etc., that is reminiscent of what is shown in the start menu of, for example, Win7.;

3. The next specific thing I did probably will not apply exactly to you. I also am a Mac user so I have an iCloud account. I use this account for email, contacts, reminders, calendar, find my iPhone, and notes. This step can, of course, be accomplished in whole, part, or ways beyond using other logins--e.g., My Yahoo.;

4. The above step is part of the way I work and play on a computer in general. I usually have a number of default tabs open in Chrome (which I am using in Win8), including iCloud on a Win machine. These tabs way more than cover the waterfront when it comes to the kinds on info-related features given, or potentially given, by Metro (e.g., weather, markets, etc.). I like Chrome better than the new IE.;

5. As I always have done, I use the full array of desktop icons--User's Files, Control Panel, Network, Computer, and Recycle Bin.; and

6. In the future, I will make some modifications deemed important using this tutorial: Power User Tasks Menu (Win + X) - Edit in Windows 8.

Please understand that I know I have done nothing earth shaking. I am just providing some food for thought in the interest of helping some who might see what I am doing as a path to liking Win8 more and not missing the feel of Win7, for example, so much.

If you have other thoughts about using Win8 pretty much as Win7, then please chime in. Oh, I forgot to mention that I am attempting to accomplish my goal without using third party software such as Stardock Start 8 and Classic Shell.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. And, happy Win 8ing.

Edit: Oops, I meant to change the subject of this post to: On Using Win8 Mostly Like Win7."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
I'm confused. You say you have no interest in going out to the cloud as soon as you log in, but the very first thing you do Is install iCloud and... go out to the cloud...

Seems a bit at odds with your philosophy...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Yes, you are right. I wasn't thinking when I started using iCloud the purposes mentioned. Good point. Normally, I don't use iCloud since the things I mentioned are available otherwise in OS X. Indeed, the only reason I truly value iCloud on a Mac is for sync purposes. I don't care about syncing on my PCs, but that's another story. Syncing would be a good reason to use the MS login.

Edit: To clarify, the reason logging on to iCloud under my philosophy is a problem is that the login password is the Apple ID. Maybe, I'll change to my My Yahoo account for email, calendar, etc., when using Win8. Anyway, one can always choose an online mail program, etc., that doesn't require use of either an Apple ID or an MS ID.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
It sounds like you're using the Start Screen just like a visual start menu.

Seems legit. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Yep, that's about the size of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot: