old games are very slow

Any improvement for this on windows 10? Is anyone a tester here, who gets new builds? Is it worth trying out the anniversary update?

BTW is there a thread of a similar vein on tenforums?
Just got to try out the latest insider build. There are some improvements but some issues are still there as well. Some games that had issues before got fixed but some others did not. So overall it was a decent update but they still need to continue to work on the compatibility. If you want me to try out a specific game and I have it then I can do that.

How about Desperados? The demo is freely available, and had the exact same issues.
Take your pick:
Desperados Demo (English)
https://archive.org/details/desperadosDemo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz F4-3000C15D-16GTZB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Asus ENGTS450)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Any improvement for this on windows 10? Is anyone a tester here, who gets new builds? Is it worth trying out the anniversary update?

BTW is there a thread of a similar vein on tenforums?
Just got to try out the latest insider build. There are some improvements but some issues are still there as well. Some games that had issues before got fixed but some others did not. So overall it was a decent update but they still need to continue to work on the compatibility. If you want me to try out a specific game and I have it then I can do that.

How about Desperados? The demo is freely available, and had the exact same issues.
Take your pick:
Desperados Demo (English)
https://archive.org/details/desperadosDemo
Yea I tried it, same issues. It freezes and the fps goes to 1 still. btw some changes where made in terms of giving MS feedback. users voice doesn't exist anymore. These are the two sources to use for communicating with MS on issues:

twitter for new person in charge of W10, insider,etc - https://twitter.com/donasarkar

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp?tab=Wiki

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
A solution which works for me on some old games is direct x emulation via linux wine... Sounds weird relying on linux to have a working windows but here is how it works...

Wine provides its directx wrapper component free, and you can download precompiled windows builds at : WineD3D builds for win32
As said on its page, all direct x calls are redirected to open gl, so this isn't emulation per se and can be very fast depending on your graphics card/drivers.
Download wind3d.exe. Don't execute it directly, extract it with an utility like 7-zip or similar.
In the extracted folder or subfolders, look for the files : ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll (if they are not present, try downloading an older build, not the latest)
Copy them to whatever old game folder you want and try the game again.
I have a really old game Falcon 4 that runs really slow in Windows 10, but it runs super fast in Steam OS (GNU\Linux) Proton. This program used to run really good on and old Pentium III IIRK. My current PC is way more powerful than that old PIII machine. The only problem when I run my game in Steam OS/Proton, my Sidewinder Joystick mappings are messed up and I haven't figured out how to hack Steam OS yet to correct the joystick mappings. More than 16 years ago, I hacked the GNU\Linux joystick driver (locally only) to temporarily fix a mapping issue, but that was quite a long time ago and Steam OS isn't the most friendly GNU\Linux distro for tinkering.

Maybe I should try running Falcon 4 under Wine in SuSE Linux. SuSE Linux used to be easy to do kernel modifications in.

BTW: Personally, I think Microsoft should officially endorse Wine for all *licensed* Windows 10 users. There are a lot of issues with older Windows programs not working right in Windows 10 and Steam / Wine could be Microsoft's partner and provide a way to get some of this old stuff (particularly) games working again. The biggest problem that I've seen is older games just don't work quite right anymore, but there are other compatibility issues even with older audio/video productivity software [not just games]. Anyway, Microsoft has been embracing GNU\Linux in the last few years and that's pretty exciting but: 1) I hope Microsoft doesn't break too much else as they continue to embrace GNU\Linux and 2) I wish Microsoft would talk to Linus Torvalds and other big players to rename GNU\Linux background drivers to something other than the term "daemon". Even with all the junk I've been through this last year, the term "daemon" still offends me even to this day.

LASTLY: I've also found that Overload (Decent "Clone) runs better in Steam OS than it does on Windows 10, but Civilization V runs better in Win 10 than Steam OS. Odd...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (Version 2004 as of Dec 27, 2020)
A solution which works for me on some old games is direct x emulation via linux wine... Sounds weird relying on linux to have a working windows but here is how it works...

Wine provides its directx wrapper component free, and you can download precompiled windows builds at : WineD3D builds for win32
As said on its page, all direct x calls are redirected to open gl, so this isn't emulation per se and can be very fast depending on your graphics card/drivers.
Download wind3d.exe. Don't execute it directly, extract it with an utility like 7-zip or similar.
In the extracted folder or subfolders, look for the files : ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll (if they are not present, try downloading an older build, not the latest)
Copy them to whatever old game folder you want and try the game again.
I have a really old game Falcon 4 that runs really slow in Windows 10, but it runs super fast in Steam OS (GNU\Linux) Proton. This program used to run really good on and old Pentium III IIRK. My current PC is way more powerful than that old PIII machine. The only problem when I run my game in Steam OS/Proton, my Sidewinder Joystick mappings are messed up and I haven't figured out how to hack Steam OS yet to correct the joystick mappings. More than 16 years ago, I hacked the GNU\Linux joystick driver (locally only) to temporarily fix a mapping issue, but that was quite a long time ago and Steam OS isn't the most friendly GNU\Linux distro for tinkering.

Maybe I should try running Falcon 4 under Wine in SuSE Linux. SuSE Linux used to be easy to do kernel modifications in.

BTW: Personally, I think Microsoft should officially endorse Wine for all *licensed* Windows 10 users. There are a lot of issues with older Windows programs not working right in Windows 10 and Steam / Wine could be Microsoft's partner and provide a way to get some of this old stuff (particularly) games working again. The biggest problem that I've seen is older games just don't work quite right anymore, but there are other compatibility issues even with older audio/video productivity software [not just games]. Anyway, Microsoft has been embracing GNU\Linux in the last few years and that's pretty exciting but: 1) I hope Microsoft doesn't break too much else as they continue to embrace GNU\Linux and 2) I wish Microsoft would talk to Linus Torvalds and other big players to rename GNU\Linux background drivers to something other than the term "daemon". Even with all the junk I've been through this last year, the term "daemon" still offends me even to this day.

LASTLY: I've also found that Overload (Decent "Clone) runs better in Steam OS than it does on Windows 10, but Civilization V runs better in Win 10 than Steam OS. Odd...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (Version 2004 as of Dec 27, 2020)
Back