old games are very slow

Due to my laptop's limited resources, I only play sort of old games, like from 2008 and older. For instance, I play Mafia, which is from 2003 and uses DirectX 8. Apart from in-game smoke getting real strange graphics the game runs very well. I also play GT Legends, a racing game from 2006 on which you can choose which DirectX version you want: 7,8 or 9, if I choose DX8 I can run an entire field of cars without a single hiccup. But older games than 2003 I never tried playing on this laptop, It's not that old, lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard ATI Radeon HD3000
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB Seagate + 320GB Seagate
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
Maybe if we complain enough to microsoft they fix it for the next windows version? :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz F4-3000C15D-16GTZB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (Asus ENGTS450)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Maybe if we complain enough to microsoft they fix it for the next windows version? :)

Either that or Microsoft could launch a Windows 9 Gamer's Edition or something similar. But then I don't believe us gamers are a very big part of their demographic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
Gamers are a big part of Microsofts Business, they just aren't always aware of it lol.
The Game I have trouble with uses DirectX8, it plays perfect , perfectly slow that is, yet plays fine on any setup using Windows95 to Windows7. Gettign strange smoke would be normal in Mafia as you are using emulation and not 3d Hardware. Glad to hear it runs fast for you. Perhaps you should give my game a shot and see if you can find the magic for getting it up to speed :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows98 to Windows7
Gamers are a big part of Microsofts Business, they just aren't always aware of it lol.
The Game I have trouble with uses DirectX8, it plays perfect , perfectly slow that is, yet plays fine on any setup using Windows95 to Windows7. Gettign strange smoke would be normal in Mafia as you are using emulation and not 3d Hardware. Glad to hear it runs fast for you. Perhaps you should give my game a shot and see if you can find the magic for getting it up to speed :)

Please, let me know what this mysterious game is and I'll be glad to try it out on my machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
He mentioned Mafia. So most likely that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
Can't even download the game, I click on 'save as' and nothing happens. I'll install Chrome and give it another try later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
Its a straight forward Mediafire download, the zip file is an executable that will self extract when you run the program.
Sometimes Mediafire takes a few attempts , if the download got interrupted. Its got over 6000 downloads as of now... but everynow and again mediafire glitches.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows98 to Windows7
To be perfectly honest with you, and other than that glitch with IE11, I have never heard of this game (now I've seen its name) and since I'm not using an antivirus at the moment I feel a bit reluctant to even download it, let alone extract it on my hdd. Maybe that's what others who have seen your request are feeling. If the game was a well known one and a demo was available I for one wouldn't feel this nervous about trying it out.
Is there at least one well known game with a demo available you would like me to try out? If so, I would like to give it a shot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
No that is the game that I need tested on Windows8.

I have spent alot of time on it over the years and would love to see it working fullspeed on Windows8.

I make cars based on real cars for drivers and place them in the game

quote author=derby111 link=topic=204.msg4269#msg4269 date=1297827894]
here is what ive come up with on one of these cars. still a wip
75caddyhoi.jpg

75caddyhoiused.jpg

[/quote]
Derby111 latest
1976 Hoi Caddy
Work In Progress
[img width=900 height=675 src="[URL]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/BrianVanTilborg/Grab_544.jpg[/URL]"]
[img width=900 height=675 src="[URL]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/BrianVanTilborg/Grab_543.jpg[/URL]"]

[url=http://postimage.org/image/3uo56lniv/][img]http://s15.postimage.org/3uo56lniv/Caddy_Demo01.jpg[/url]

1986 GrandMarquis..

Very simple very fun game... its a demolition derby simulation.
I make replica tracks which I have not posted.

The wagon in this video is based on Ankstank.

Demolition Derby (PC) Round #4 Arena Derby with a Wagon

This game has a long history and strong cult following, but as people get Windows8, they are shocked that it doesn't play at speed cause it works on practically everything else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows98 to Windows7
This is strange, the slowness of this simple game, since I'm pretty sure that a 4Gb racing game I have should be the slow one in comparison and yet it runs pretty decently on Windows 8.1 even with a full grid of cars. Of course the game is from 2006 (GT Legends) but its graphics are pretty good even by today's standards.
But maybe it's down to its coding, I've had old games run pretty slow on an even faster machine than this and the problem, the game's community said, was its coding, the game had been badly coded, hence the sluggishness. I'm not saying it's your fault, it's just that it has happened with big gaming corporations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
It sounds like you downloaded it. Thank you for testing, thats all I can say and I VERY MUCH appreciate your attempt to help out :cool:

The game follows Directx 8.1 guidelines, which is fully backwards compatible with 9, 10 and 11.

GT Legends uses Directx9, And I can play it flawlessly with a full field of cars. As well as many other sims :)
I can also port GT legend cars and tracks to derby game.

On a windows95 computer I can easily play a full field of 24 cars, and on Windows7, well it handles it with ease, especially compared to Vista which is a processor hog. But Vista still can do the job.

I can port complex high detailed 3d models from Flatout, or use very very low poly 3d models.

Its not the coding, or the modelling, well, yeah, the modeling if I used high detail on an P4 or older will take a bit to load or I can use up the memory of an old Windows2000 computer.

I test with all computers, and when I added 1400 more cars and 48 more tracks to the game, all the old computers could easily handle it.

I now have this game running on Linux, and am directing some of my more technical friends in that direction, and warning others that if they get Windows8 , this game is unlikely to run on the new OS at any playable framerate, so keep your old computer or Operating system handy if you want to continue to play this game and enter our tournaments.

I really want to sort this out, just for the reason taht there is no good reason that it shouldn't run at full speed.
Just some poor coding in Windows8 Directx support that they changed from the previous versions.

I host online derbies and racing, the game is very optimised for online action. Well thought out and it uses Directx ports for UDP data transfer. Its alot of fun. And now its a challenge for me to get keep looking for the windows8 solution, its out there and when other games that run slow find there solutions, mine won't be far behind. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows98 to Windows7
I really want to sort this out, just for the reason taht there is no good reason that it shouldn't run at full speed.
Just some poor coding in Windows8 Directx support that they changed from the previous versions.

I host online derbies and racing, the game is very optimised for online action. Well thought out and it uses Directx ports for UDP data transfer. Its alot of fun. And now its a challenge for me to get keep looking for the windows8 solution, its out there and when other games that run slow find there solutions, mine won't be far behind. :)

There's no solution. Microsoft screwed up something, so that old games run at ridiculous speeds and some other compatibility issues with mouse handling (and who knows what else).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
I'll guess then, that there is also no fix for Eurotruck Simulator 2 then? Going from windows 7 to 8.1 gave a huge drop in fps, and this game is not more than 1½ year old, but it is made with directx 9.0c.
Old OpenGL based games are running well, so I think it is a shame that MS destroyed directX 9.0 and downward

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
I also play GTR Evolution, which is a DirectX9 game and is a direct descendant of GT Evolution (same people behind it), and this is a 2008 game. This one, I have to be alone on the track doing hotlaps if I want to have decent FPS. Its graphics aren't all that different from GT Legends but maybe it's the fact that it only uses DirectX 9 that makes it so FPS heavy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    FX6300 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
    Memory
    8GB in 2 4GB Sticks
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    ATX
    Cooling
    TX3 Evo
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    30MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
I'm thinking of actually downgrading to 7. There was an update for 7 that removes updated crap from winsxs. Which might fix/mitigate the main issue with it. Probably the speed difference would be less if I changed to a win 8 like theme. Booting would still be a lot slower though. But at least I could play old games when I got nostalgic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
That's why my techie friend said that we should keep an old Windows XP laptop in the drawer....just in case.

I think a Seven woud be better. XP is rather old and doesn't include a lot of stuff that seven does. (And old games run well on 7 too)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    PSU
    500w FSP
I updated to Update 1 of Windows 8.1. Because I saw some compatibility changes.
Ouch. Desperados runs at 3-5 fps. If a FOV of an enemy is shown MSI afterburner's OSD actually shows 0.0FPS...

But at least it fixed the corrupted image I managed to achieve by trying to install old directx versions, in hopes of running in proprer speed. So now I can play again as a slide show...

I feel more motivated to downgrade to 7 every day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime B350-PLUS
    Memory