Official Microsoft ISO/Media Creation Tool

I can't download the media!
I click on "Create Media", and it downloads OK. I then run this little program and select
Language (Danish)
Edition (Windows 8.1 Pro)
Architecture (64-bit X64)

Then click NEXT

Here I can select either USB flash drive or ISO file. I select ISO-file and click NEXT

The I select where it saves the ISO-file.

And then the error come allmost instant.

"Download did not complete successfully"
The download task did not complete.
The file or the folder is not a NTFS reparse-point.

I have tried to save on HDD, on a USB-stick formatted NTFS, formatted FAT32, but the same error shows up.

What can I do about this?

EDIT: I have now tried to make the same again, but in English, so it should not be the danish language that gives the error. In English I also got this error, so I would like to get help to this :)

I still have this issue. Can anybody help? What is a "Reparse-point"??
I have just downloaded a new version of mediacreationtool.exe but when I have selected where to save the ISO, I get this error:
"Download did not complete successfully"
"The download task did not complete."
"The file or the folder is not a NTFS reparse-point."

I have tried to save on HDD, on SSD on USB-flash (a 16Gbyte USB3, a 8Gbyte USB2), but get the same message and no .iso. What to do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
I had similar errors on my laptop with Windows 8.1 x64 pro attempting to download 8.1 x86 pro.

I thought it may have been because there was not enough contiguous free space on the diskwhere Windows 8 is installed, having freed up about 9 GB to allow for the download after I realised I had less than 6.5 GB before. The Media Creation Tool Program first downloads an ESD file(2-4GB) then decrypts and extracts it to a temporary folder, then destroying the ESD, writes the finished setup.ISO, and empties and removes the temporary folder. - that's the reason it needs just about 6.5 GB

As I removed junk and discarded unwanted files, the Media Creation program progressed further, until the download partially completed before exiting.

I would suggest defragmenting to free up space before using this tool so that you have contiguous blocks of 3GB or more making up the minimum required total of 6.5GB.

I then used my test desktop machine with Windows 8.1 x86 enterprise trial, which has plenty of free disk space, to download, which completed successfully in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Sounds like you didn't boot it UEFI and the install can't see a bootable drive? If your installing 64 bit UEFI you need to boot it to UEFI USB/DVD or if your installing x86 BIOS MBR the boot your install media USB or DVD which ever you are using. To do this you need to hit the F8 or Esc or what ever key or keys brings up a boot menu from that boot menu select either UEFI USB or USB. If youd drives are already GPT then you would need to install UEFI, if your system is already BIOS MBR then don't boot UEFI unless you want to install UEFI Then you would need to use diskpart to clean and convert your hard drive or SSD prior to the actual install.
Also if you only have one HD/SSD is may be defective causing your system to not find a bootable drive and defaulting to BIOS/UEFI

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
Sounds like you didn't boot it UEFI and the install can't see a bootable drive? If your installing 64 bit UEFI you need to boot it to UEFI USB/DVD or if your installing x86 BIOS MBR the boot your install media USB or DVD which ever you are using. To do this you need to hit the F8 or Esc or what ever key or keys brings up a boot menu from that boot menu select either UEFI USB or USB. If youd drives are already GPT then you would need to install UEFI, if your system is already BIOS MBR then don't boot UEFI unless you want to install UEFI Then you would need to use diskpart to clean and convert your hard drive or SSD prior to the actual install.
Also if you only have one HD/SSD is may be defective causing your system to not find a bootable drive and defaulting to BIOS/UEFI

I have tried using legacy boot and also UEFI boot. Both having same result. HAD is working well.

When it boot to the windows 8 I still can see the logo. After logo it start display command prompt. I have Dell Inspiron 3421. And have OEM license.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
A Tale of two desktops

I'm looking for some advice. I want to do a clean install on a Dell XPS8700 and I would like to end up with a fresh Win8.1 system. The two systems [both Dell Win8.1 XPS 8700, 64 bit, both from Dell directly in the last two years]. The problem: one system [MyDesktop] is in tough shape and has all kinds of system problems. Win boots and runs apps, but WU won't run, the MCT won't complete, my attempt at repairing Win failed in so many ways, etc. My wife's system [Linda] runs just fine. I have run the MCT on her system and it built a flash drive with no problems. I have keys for both systems [showkey plus]. Can I use the MCT flash drive from Linda on MyDesktop and use the key from MyDesktop instead of the key from Linda? Does the flash drive from Linda have the key imbedded in it [for matching when it is used for the install] or does it simply look to see if it is running on a 64 bit Win8.1 system?
I have a couple of other options for refreshing MyDesktop. I have a retail Win8.1 CD that is a couple of years old. I have the Dell reinstall CD's, both Win and Applications. I do not have a Macrium drive image that I trust. I trust the image enough to get personal data off it, but not to do a Win refresh. I really don't want to go back to factory delivered state. I can do a clean install into the Win partition, but that puts me way back in updates. The MCT option seems to be the best as long as I can use the flash drive from Linda for a clean install on MyDesktop.
What say you? Other options? I'm not in the market for Win10 migration just yet [I want to walk before I stumble].
TIA, Dick Israels

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1Update build 9600
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i74790
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 A03
    Memory
    12G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT720
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG EW224
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    (1) 1TB
    (1) 1TB
    Case
    tower
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech wired
    Mouse
    Logitech trackball M570, wireless
    Internet Speed
    40 down, 8 up
    Browser
    Chrome - primary, IE11 - secondary
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
When you were creating the USB you had the option of installing or create media to install on another computer. Insure you created for another machine!! That said I'm not sure is things have changed but if either computer came with 7 and upgraded you may have to use a Generic Key to start the clean install.
If both were standard with Win 8.1 64 bit and UEFI, you should have no issues. Insure you boot the media UEFI, F8, F10, Esc Del whichever key on your computer to bring up a Boot menu at that menu select UEFI USB. If you have further issues check out the Tutorial lots of step by step

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro