Solved Now the trouble starts

F.Y.I., the $39.99 online upgrade allows the option to download .iso, once downloaded, burn it to a disc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
I think the $40.00 pricing is good only till the end of January 31, 2013 then goes to regular pricing so take advantage of cheap pricing now any one looking for a copy of Windows 8.

Indeed, but make sure you ACTIVATE IT BEFORE 31 Jan 2013 otherwise your product key will expire and that's $40 wasted. Same goes for the free MCE product key.

This is to stop people from hoarding cheap licence keys and selling them on later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Pack x64
    JohnOfE Special
    Other Info
    Too many systems and combinations!
The $40 price *( $39.95 ) sounds like the download on the Internet without discs. The store price in the USA is $69.95 for a boxed version with two discs, 64 bit and 32 bit. It is Windows Pro.
This is a real rip-off by itself. A $30 difference in price for the same OS on a 50 cents CD.

Hi there.

It's not the 50 cents CD -- the cost is in the Intellectual property of the OS - costs of developing, royalty payments, "customer service" ( although these days that's usually an abomination these days with remote overseas call centers - endless menu systems, hours to get through and people at the other end who can never answer your questions but only give "canned" responses).

The Distribution medium is a TINY TINY fraction of the costs. Simple Logistics.

Shipping costs aren't normally determined by Ms either. - I recently received some "Educational material" from the US which where I live carries no import / customs duty -- those "Highway Robbers" known as "Federal Express" wanted 10 EUR "Handling Charge" in spite of the fact I'd already paid the US supplier "Shipping Charge".

I'm still awaiting an "Itemized Breakdown" of what the "Handling Charge" consists of. I've written to the marketing dept and as far up the chain as I can find - and I'm not going to be fobbed of with "It's Company Policy" either.

I don't mind [aying for what I've ordered - but it's about time us consumers got angry about these "Extra" always unspecified fees such as "Handling Charges" or "Service charges". If these are part of the price then stick the price on the original INVOICE not as addons after.

(Cheap Airline carriers throughout Europe have to add all prices now so the bill that you see on the web is what you pay -- including things like taxes / airport duties etc which often cost MORE than the flight itself and previously were always hidden such as in the old days Ryanair could advertise a 1 EUR flight from London (Stanstead) to Helsinki. When the taxes etc were added that 1 EUR became something like 300 EUR. !).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I think the $40.00 pricing is good only till the end of January 31, 2013 then goes to regular pricing so take advantage of cheap pricing now any one looking for a copy of Windows 8.

Indeed, but make sure you ACTIVATE IT BEFORE 31 Jan 2013 otherwise your product key will expire and that's $40 wasted. Same goes for the free MCE product key.

This is to stop people from hoarding cheap licence keys and selling them on later.

No! Once you buy the $39.99 upgrade, it will NEVER expire.
The only one that expires on Jan 31 2013 is only the Free MCE key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
The $40 price *( $39.95 ) sounds like the download on the Internet without discs. The store price in the USA is $69.95 for a boxed version with two discs, 64 bit and 32 bit. It is Windows Pro.
This is a real rip-off by itself. A $30 difference in price for the same OS on a 50 cents CD.

I believe the $40 price is the Windows 8 (regular) upgrade, not Pro edition. One looses their previous OS and it's bit (32/64) sensitive too. The $70 one is stand alone Pro copy, both 32 & 64 bit version. I think it to be a good deal. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I got the 14.99 deal, which would have been 39.99, except I had the Promo code. My version is Windows 8 Pro. And I had the option to download the .iso, which I did. I got mine on Oct. 26, 2012.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Inernet Explorer 11 Chrome
I got the 14.99 deal, which would have been 39.99, except I had the Promo code. My version is Windows 8 Pro. And I had the option to download the .iso, which I did. I got mine on Oct. 26, 2012.

You may be a better shopper than I. Is yours the stand alone OEM edition or the upgrade?

The only thing I could find online is the upgrade edition to download. I suppose one may be able to obtain the OEM version through a TechNet subscription of which I do not have. I wanted to beat the deadline on prices.

Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows

Microsoft Store Online

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
All I know HippsieGypsie is that I did a clean install with no problems. I had read that the early versions were stand alone iso's and that Microsoft changed that later on. All I had to do was enter enter the Product Key after installing from the DvD I created.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
All I know HippsieGypsie is that I did a clean install with no problems. I had read that the early versions were stand alone iso's and that Microsoft changed that later on. All I had to do was enter enter the Product Key after installing from the DvD I created.

Thanks for the info, bobbyk. :) They must have changed things around. You got the best deal! Good for you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Hmm... with mine I didn't have to do the steps in that tutorial. I just downloaded the .iso, installed it on DVD, installed on my partition which was wiped clean, and enter the Product Key. I did receive the Promo Key as a result of a new product bought between the qualifying dates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
This all isn't a problem that can be resolved for everyone, everywhere with one size fits all.

Customarily posters furnish virtually NO information about their computer, its, age, system requirements, previous systems, systems - existing hardware/software, thus it is almost universally a SWAG and a stab in the dark.

IT is very complex and complicated with variables well beyond the normal comprehension.

Although personal experiences of one are indeed very valuable, they do not translate universal too others.

I'm well aware of ISO. I just personally have an aversion and an affinity as well as a rule. I just do not gamble with the unknown.

Spending forty buck to get Microsoft discs is to me not at all an issue. I have spendable income. Further any dysfunction is accountable to the supplier. I just err on the side of caution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP

Right you are, WHS, but there is method to their madness. MS is experimenting with introducing a new OS every year, costing less than $20, and they want to do it online. No middleman, and it's easier to avoid piracy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Right, I have heard that. Didn't they call that the 'Blue Systems' or something like that. That would give them a more even revenue flow. But they can also fall on their nose if people are not buying. They have to show real value for the customer in order to move that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Let's hope that Windows Blue doesn't end up giving everyone the blues (especially Microsoft).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Right you are, WHS, but there is method to their madness. MS is experimenting with introducing a new OS every year, costing less than $20, and they want to do it online. No middleman, and it's easier to avoid piracy.

It should be noted, that even thought DVD's may cost 50 cents to produce, there are more costs of getting a product into a store than that. There's packaging costs, distribution costs (shipping, the profit distributors must take in order to make it profitable to distribute it, etc..) and then the store has to make money as well. All that adds up on the final price. So calling it a "rip off" means you don't understand where those costs are coming from.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Mystere, I do of course understand all of that. I have been in this business for 35 years. My point was that with such a big discrepency, it is hard to attract a customer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I get the impression that there is still a lot of misconception and misunderstanding as to Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, store bought products and on line downloads.

To back up a moment, the $14 price is a promo to customers who had bought a new computer in mid 2012 that was loaded with Windows 7. My understanding is that the promo will continue into February 2013, then end. They were supposed to furnish proof of purchase and date. Some tried to game the system with computers as much as 2 years old. Some slipped through and some didn't. It was checkered. Somehow Microsoft began checking/verifying circumventing the potential buyer, possibly by accessing some information somewhere.

The $39.95 Microsoft download without disc didn't actually seem to be too clear. In the past couple of days I did apparently get some authoritative information that the download is supposed to be Windows 8 Pro.

Now to the matter of the definition of an upgrade, that too is semantics and loose interpretation. It can mean to upgrade from a previous version or SKU - if you will - for example from XP, or Vista, or Windows 7. And there is too the upgrade from Windows 8 that is pre-installed by the manufacturer. Manufacturers, at least HP, do not install Windows 8 Pro. They install the Windows 8 *( regular ). That version does not have Bitlocker encryption or media features.

When I initially went to Best Buy and talked to the sales person he said there were two versions of Windows 8. Regular would cost $139.95 and Windows 8 Pro was $69.95 but they didn't even carry the Win 8 regular in inventory. I couldn't understand it. What he failed to mention is that you can't buy Win 8 regular in a box in a store. The only way to get it is to buy a computer.

Now, after you have bought your computer with Win 8 OEM regular, and it is home, if you want to "upgrade" to Windows 8 Pro, you need to go back to the store and buy Windows 8 Pro upgrade. That upgrades Windows 8 regular to Windows 8 Pro. That's also $69.95. Costco was carrying both boxed but has now only the Windows 8 Pro complete and no longer carries the Win 8 reg to Win 8 Pro upgrade. Staples only stocks the Windows 8 Pro, NOT the Win 8 upgrade to Win 8 Pro. Either of those two cost $69.95 in most stores.

So when we speak of upgrade we may mean from XP, or Vista, or Win 7 or even Win 8. And upgrading from some ancestor in the family tree it may be a cousin, or an aunt or an uncle. XP and Vista as well as Win 7 had a variety of variations, basic starter, premium, ultimate, enterprise. So Windows 8 also has a variety of variations, except that now for the first time they have an electronic down load and some new capabilities wherein a mouse and keyboard can, or may, be eliminated and a touch feature can be used, i.e., your finger.

I have no idea at all as to how much HP pays Microsoft for each Windows 8 OEM that goes onto each computer. But for anyone who buys a new computer with Windows 8 OEM *( that's regular ), when, and/or if, they want to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro it will cost either $39.95 now for the download, of $69.95 from the store. And After the promo ends on January 31, 2013, the scuttlebutt is that it will jump to $199.99 for store bought Windows 8 Pro complete in a box with 2 discs, 32 bit and 64 bit.

After January 31, 2013 I haven't a clue as to how Microsoft will treat the upgrade from Windows 8 OEM regular to Windows 8 Pro, if it will even exist which it probably will...... however, conventional wisdom says it should be also $199.99.

The $14 deal to upgrade a recent computer with Win 7 to Win 8 Pro is also a question mark after February 2013.

There is also the question of where the $140 builders license price will go after the other promos end.

Maybe too - it is worth mentioning again that the $39.95 download will be whatever your computer has 32 bit or 64 bit but NOT both. Not that it may mean much. The store bought Win 8 Pro with both 32 bit and 64 bit discs can only be installed once. The other disc is neutralized and cannot be used. You can't get a second key code.

And there is a $10 to $13 charge to buy the WMC Windows Media Center " additional application" that allows connecting a TV. I have no clue as to what that price will become after the promos.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I should also mention that I went to the link posted above - "How to clean install Windows 8 Pro" and I have a problem with the system requirements stated, particularly as they pertain to 1 GB Ram at 32 bits. What they don't tell you is that if you upgrade from XP on a computer that has 1 GB of RAM you are going to be one really unhappy person with an old jalopy that is worse than it was with XP. And if your monitor is marginal you will be dismal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
I get the impression that there is still a lot of misconception and misunderstanding as to Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, store bought products and on line downloads..........

When I initially went to Best Buy and talked to the sales person he said there were two versions of Windows 8. Regular would cost $139.95 and Windows 8 Pro was $69.95 but they didn't even carry the Win 8 regular in inventory. I couldn't understand it. What he failed to mention is that you can't buy Win 8 regular in a box in a store. The only way to get it is to buy a computer.

There is a lot of confusion, at least on my part. Thanks for the good information. :)

Here's the buzz I found out today. I sensed something was wrong when checking my confirmation email on the sale and looking at the order in my MS account, so I chatted online with another rep this morning. Sure enough the MS store rep on the phone the other day sold me the wrong product even though I was explicit in explaining that I wanted the stand-alone OEM system builder edition. She ordered me the Windows 8 Professional on DVD media, but it is the upgrade edition. That's all the online MS store sells even via the phone. They do not have a stand-alone edition as of yet and the rep couldn't tell me when that would be released.

You're correct in that the only way to obtain a full version one is buying a new computer with it being preloaded.

While chatting with the MS rep this morning I asked if it would be legal under the EULA to dual boot with 7. He told me that in speaking with his supervisor that it was, but that it wasn't available through the MS store. So, I found and bought the OEM system builder edition at another online store for $109.00. Still not bad considering. Just for grins I emailed myself the chat session with the MS rep this morning to confirm what the supervisor stated in case they come back at me. :)

I guess MS is promoting PC sales in that that's the only way to obtain a full legal stand-alone copy for now. They are to release one at some later date according to the rep. Perhaps it may be after the $14 promo ends in February 2013? I'm not sure.

Edit: BTW, they made it easy for my returning item. The rep initiated the return and emailed me a return shipping label to print out with no expense to me. I love this modern technology. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling