Not sure if system is UEFI capable

telepod4u

Hello all, I am trying to install a Samsung EVO 660 SSD and do an clean install but I am extremely confused about my systems ability to install new OS via UEFI gpt ( I'd prefer this config) or mbr. I went into disk management right click main drive and tabs but there was no info??. Also tried to evoke commands mbr2gpt /? and mbr2gpt /validate in upper command prompt but said invalid commands. In the bios I set boot option to USB - and in my bios the wordage is "USB Entry for Windows to go". There is an option [UEFI Boot] but it is greyed out and not accessible. Msinfo32 indicates BIOS mode is UEFI but this option via USB is greyed out in the BIOS. I am definitely confused and have included some snaps in the hopes someone might be able to shed some light onto this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I have a Toshiba C55-A5310 laptop.
CaptureMSinfo32.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba c55-A5310
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    intel
    Memory
    6gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    comodo
Hello tp4u :)

Almost certain if you have Windows 8.1 Pro on your system it's UEFI. Don't forget to also concern yourself with Secure Boot, both may or may not have to be disabled, depending on what you're doing with your system at any given time, including running a bootable suite of test tools. Point being, almost always you'll need to disable at least Secure Boot, not always UEFI, to boot to something other than the HDD or SSD when performing some task.

Hit whatever key, F2... while the system is booting up, and go into the BIOS and first -->> Disable Secure Boot (Advanced tab), then head to EXIT --> don't Save & Exit, simply Save your changes... See if disabling secure boot opens up options not available while secure boot is enabled.

Pics of all BIOS tabs might help, or links to pics of a similar BIOS. It's impossible to know where everything is located on all systems without seeing the options available.

If you accidentally reboot to Windows 8.1 without secure boot enabled I don't think it will boot up, so make sure you're ready. Don't worry, just re-enable secure boot if you need back into Windows 8.1... that's all.

Since your going to reinstall you need to grab from Toshiba all the documentation - manuals, setup guides, etc, while you're also grabbing your drivers. I'm sure the docs will spell out for you how to enter the BIOS and what to disable to get your system to boot from USB or DVD, this is a very common need and should be spelled out either in their docs, surely in their help forums.

Sorry, I forgot to add this link, does your BIOS look similar -> BIOS setup changes are necessary, if booting from external devices is required (Genuine Windows 8 units)
I'm lazy, I just noticed your pic, your BIOS is UEFI and Secure Boot is enabled (active)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
The Media Creation Tool will format your USB stick Fat32...
The Fat32 Format is required for UEFI boot..
If USB is Formatted NTFS then the UEFI Boot Option will be Grayed out...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Hello tp4u :)

Almost certain if you have Windows 8.1 Pro on your system it's UEFI. Don't forget to also concern yourself with Secure Boot, both may or may not have to be disabled, depending on what you're doing with your system at any given time, including running a bootable suite of test tools. Point being, almost always you'll need to disable at least Secure Boot, not always UEFI, to boot to something other than the HDD or SSD when performing some task.

Hit whatever key, F2... while the system is booting up, and go into the BIOS and first -->> Disable Secure Boot (Advanced tab), then head to EXIT --> don't Save & Exit, simply Save your changes... See if disabling secure boot opens up options not available while secure boot is enabled.

Pics of all BIOS tabs might help, or links to pics of a similar BIOS. It's impossible to know where everything is located on all systems without seeing the options available.

If you accidentally reboot to Windows 8.1 without secure boot enabled I don't think it will boot up, so make sure you're ready. Don't worry, just re-enable secure boot if you need back into Windows 8.1... that's all.

Since your going to reinstall you need to grab from Toshiba all the documentation - manuals, setup guides, etc, while you're also grabbing your drivers. I'm sure the docs will spell out for you how to enter the BIOS and what to disable to get your system to boot from USB or DVD, this is a very common need and should be spelled out either in their docs, surely in their help forums.

Sorry, I forgot to add this link, does your BIOS look similar -> BIOS setup changes are necessary, if booting from external devices is required (Genuine Windows 8 units)
I'm lazy, I just noticed your pic, your BIOS is UEFI and Secure Boot is enabled (active)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba c55-A5310
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    intel
    Memory
    6gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    comodo
MGhee, thany you very much for your response the information helped immensely. I am now able to change the settings in bios to load my new OS. Again you were a great help. Have a great day!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba c55-A5310
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    intel
    Memory
    6gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    comodo
my dad has a Toshiba touchscreen laptop (C55Dt-A5306) [the System SKU is PSCFWU] that is definitely UEFI capable (with pre-installed Win8.1 home)
though I plug the usb stick to the left side usb 2.0 port for that to be bootable as it may not boot from a usb 3.0 port

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB
MGhee, thany you very much for your response the information helped immensely. I am now able to change the settings in bios to load my new OS. Again you were a great help. Have a great day!
I'm really glad you got it sorted out, that's good news. You too have a great day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB