Not so tough times for Microsoft and Surface

Hi there
There's "Lacklustre" demands for Ferraris too if you go by these traditional methods of measurement.

Just because a market is small doesn't mean to say it's non existent or even not profitable.

Cheers
jimbo

At the same time, new devices(especially with the much higher price point) typically tend to take time to really build with the general public. 400K in a month is a great start for a product that is $1K+ out the door and only in 2 territories.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
@chrisa

You need to be clear, rather than saying Surface Pro, as that's a Billism. However, you over-estimate the desire of the common man to own a tablet that can run full Windows programs. It's simply a fact of life that they don't and never will. The world of apps, provided by the likes of Apple and Android, are more than enough for the vast majority of people.

All that Windows 8 tablets will do is replace some, but not all laptops (not by a long shot). There are still significant functional advantages of a laptop over a tablet, even those with a detachable keyboard, for them to retain superiority. Just one example is the weight imbalance of a tablet with lightweight keyboard vs a laptop.

Don't forget, the tablet and lightweight laptop market seems to be sitting anywhere between 10'-13". With a laptop, you have much greater engineering and design versatility. Consider also that designs for paper-thin, flexible, screens are well underway, and think of what you can do with one of these attached to a platform that contains all the hardware, keyboard, trackpad and whatever else. The screen could potentially be any size and attached to a small form-factor platform. It would make a tablet look somewhat passé.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
@chrisa

You need to be clear, rather than saying Surface Pro, as that's a Billism. However, you over-estimate the desire of the common man to own a tablet that can run full Windows programs. It's simply a fact of life that they don't and never will. The world of apps, provided by the likes of Apple and Android, are more than enough for the vast majority of people.

All that Windows 8 tablets will do is replace some, but not all laptops (not by a long shot). There are still significant functional advantages of a laptop over a tablet, even those with a detachable keyboard, for them to retain superiority. Just one example is the weight imbalance of a tablet with lightweight keyboard vs a laptop.

Don't forget, the tablet and lightweight laptop market seems to be sitting anywhere between 10'-13". With a laptop, you have much greater engineering and design versatility. Consider also that designs for paper-thin, flexible, screens are well underway, and think of what you can do with one of these attached to a platform that contains all the hardware, keyboard, trackpad and whatever else. The screen could potentially be any size and attached to a small form-factor platform. It would make a tablet look somewhat passé.

Hi there
Not forgetting also EYE technology which could be used in lots of cases as an alternative to TOUCH where people have a resistance to using touch devices or where for traditional applications where touch on a large external monitor isn't practical.

For instance having TWO screens I could see immediately the advantages of using EYE control to shift between the two displays rather than with a mouse (with large screen I wouldn't be able to use touch as the screen would b too far away to Swipe them to shift between the displays).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Be fascinating to see what uncle Tim produces from up his sleeve. You might be surprised.
I thought you and Ray8 were Windows lovers, you seem to be more interested in what Apple does or might do than what Microsoft does.
I think Uncle Tim might be peeing in his pants right now, he's being attacked by Samsung and Microsoft at the moment. That's the reason he sent his mad little mate Phyllis Diller out to bad mouth Android and the Galaxy S4 the other day.

Everything they're doing is defensive, I don't think they've got anything left in the tank, they're iPad4 sales dropped by nearly 6 million in one month.

Oh yeah, Windows phone sales seem to be going up at a reasonable amount as well. The Apple world is shrinking.

that would explain there pure hate of windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock H61M-VG3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    100MB
@chrisa

I'll be as clear as I want to be. And I've never once said the 'common man' would flock to SP, nor would they need to. But you seem to think that the mobile market is *only* for the common man and only for one type of tablet. I also think you underestimate the number of people that aren't the 'common man' that only need to run apps when not flipping burgers or washing(rather than running) windows. There is an installed base of PC's that far exceeds that of even tablets, and there are plenty of those for whom the SP is an attractive purchase.

Really? Thats what you're going with? Weight imbalance lol? I presume you mean they're not good for the laptop position in your lap. But in that position, you simply use it as a tablet :p.

Pie-in-the-sky development is just that. If/when some fantastic tech hits the market, it can prove its viability. But by then, you'll be telling me about some other wonder-tech is just around the corner. This is what is here and now and the only question is how big the market will be. You claim its small, I have a feeling its going to be far bigger than you can imagine. Time will tell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Today is sponsored by the word "versatility". Not only is the SP a full PC it is the best form factor for versatility. Make it what you want at any given moment. :)

Edit:

I think the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 Convertible Ultrabook does a pretty good job at this as well. A little more price though.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
But then:

Of course, the Pro's numbers pale in comparison with the iPad. Apple sold more than 20 million iPads in the quarter ending December.
Forget it Chrisa, if Surface Pro had sold 15 million it still would have been less than the iPad, and that's all our little chum here is worried about. Brick wall I'm afraid, you can talk till your blue in the face this guy knows better.

All this from a guy who actually bought a Windows tablet, he must have been the only one in the world to do that and that's why he's pist.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
~yawn~... this latest tripe is based on the word of unidentified microsoft employees....:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I'm here to help Windows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 118

My Computer

System One

• OS
I can honestly say that I have used a ton of tablets over the years, and the Surface Pro is really the only one that has really fit me well. But that was to be expected, it's a full PC inside of a small box. I can run everything that I am used to running and I don't have to get used to anything new (as I am already used to Windows 8).

It's not 100% perfect, and it is rather expensive, and screen space (while looking great) is very limited and you need a flat surface if you plan to use one of the additional keyboards. I'm using it right now for this very post...(in keeping with full disclosure, I am using the optional Type cover keyboard...it's the only way that I can really be proficient with the device).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
There is an installed base of PC's that far exceeds that of even tablets

Yes, one would think MS would try and get them on side. I expect MS will have learned form the current situation, and they will try - maybe blue has something to help with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
There is an installed base of PC's that far exceeds that of even tablets

Yes, one would think MS would try and get them on side. I expect MS will have learned form the current situation, and they will try - maybe blue has something to help with that.

MS has always done a fine job in the PC arena(even if they are the company people love to hate). The SP is very complimentary to the PC, it doesn't tend to replace it unless you truly don't have a need for the power a full workstation PC provides. And the advancements they put into Win8 and the SP were carried over to the PC. They aren't Apple. For whom the PC's are the red-headed stepchildren of the company and have been left out to rot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
It doesn't look like vast numbers of their existing 1.5-2bn desktop are rushing out to buy things with 8 on them.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It doesn't look like vast numbers of their existing 1.5-2bn desktop are rushing out to buy things with 8 on them.

The key is they're keeping current on 8 and older PC's, even if it may not be bingo profits day 1. The economics of it are the economics of it. People with older workstation PC's are simply hanging onto them because there isn't enough of a reason to upgrade to newer workstation PC's. Even then, we're still only talking about a decline in growth, which still equates to millions of PC's sold.. all of those with at least some variant of Windows on them.

At the same time, if you got 7 running without a touchscreen on an old system, there isn't an overriding reason to go 8 until there is a reason to actually upgrade the hardware and become significantly faster. Thats the whole point of the SP, to provide an upgrade path that fills a need(taking your work mobile), while allowing people to get used to touchscreens with Windows and the benefits those provide.

And making money is making money.. they likely pulled at least half a billion dollars in sales from SP and its accessories in a month, off a device with a very high profit margin. That'll go along way to covering the stinker of RT and the 2 million of those devices(they really should cut the price to compete with the Mini and not the original iPad, to hopefully flush as much of the stock as they can) they'll be trying to move for a good while, while minting money with the Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS

If you say there's 2 billion desktops, that means 800 million XP users didn't rush out and buy Windows 7 either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Not certain about the 2bn - have seen it quoted - 1.5 bn is more often suggested.

Of course not all XP users upgraded to 7.

Not relevant to my previous post. Par for the course for you, Bill.

On the available information 8 is selling very badly. The mass market have not gone for it.

MS may well release something that is more palatable.

It will be interesting to see what name they use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Not certain about the 2bn - have seen it quoted - 1.5 bn is more often suggested.

Of course not all XP users upgraded to 7.

Not relevant to my previous post. Par for the course for you, Bill.
You quoted the 2 billion, are you saying you plucked that out of thin air. if not all the XP users upgraded, there's even less incentive for Windows 7 users to upgrade as it hasn't been on the market anywhere near as long.

I know nothing's relevant unless its negative, I'll try to Bee more like the Beekeeper.

My Computer

System One

• OS
No, I am saying exactly what is in the post you quoted. Can you read, or do you make everything up. The latter seems to be the case.

I don't know what you have against MS, but these repeated attempts to suggest all is well is not helping them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
No, I am saying exactly what is in the post you quoted. Can you read, or do you make everything up. The latter seems to be the case.

I don't know what you have against MS, but these repeated attempts to suggest all is well is not helping them.
I don't think what you're doing helps much either, tech bloggers come to these sites and use all this Anti Windows 8 as more fuel to the fire.
I could understand what you're doing if you just picked out a couple of points, but you seem to hate everything to do with Microsoft since Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The message needs to be loud and clear. There is a danger if it gets buried/dies down the assumption is we will put up with/get used to it,etc.

Aside from the UI causing such a problem, it will be interesting to see where MS are going with devices.

Perhaps they should pursue it and make their own branded range - cut out the oems who they seem to be blaming for their woes.

Doesn't need to be a huge range - Apple did well with that idea.

Go on Stevie B - go for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back