• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

No Wifi with Windows 8.1 but all other devices connect

emjayem22

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with my Windows 8.1 Laptop connecting to the local network through wireless. Here is what I have tested/know:

• When I use the W8.1 laptop and try to connect via WiFi to my home router I can either never connect (90% of the time) or the connection is very slow and drops after a short time (10% of the time).
  • Problem has been apparent for a month or so but seems to be getting worse.
  • If I set up my 4G phone as a WiFi Access Point I can connect to internet via W8.1 Laptop without problem.
  • If I connect the laptop via a cable to my home router there is also no problem.
  • The problem seems worse when I am on battery power but also exists when plugged in (but I cannot confirm this, just something I have noticed).

• There is an Android phone, iPhone, Nexus, Kindle and a Windows 7 laptop (on it now) in the house all able to connect fine via WiFi to my home router.
  • The problem exists even if I disable all above devices (I can check my router and see no devices are connected via wireless).
  • I have used a WiFi Scanner to confirm there is no other network using the same channel.
  • On the W8.1 Laptop I have tried to forget the network and reAdd it. I have also run ipconfig /renew but nothing is able to get me back.
  • I noticed that in available Network connections when I reboot the Laptop I sometimes see (listed along with my Wifi) a connection called 'Hidden Network' but I don't know what that is.
  • The W8.1 laptop is an Acer Aspire V7 (64bit)
  • The router is a Sky Hub

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1