No iTunes for Windows 8 devices anytime soon

Microsoft kind of slapped themselves with the Zune player....
Agreed. I have a Windows Phone so I have to use Zune.

On the face of it there are cool features like the ability to synch to my phone wirelessly... but (unless they've fixed it) it doesn't work in Windows 8 and reading around the web forums, no-one else could get it to work either.

Why Microsoft can't update their own Zune player to work with Microsoft Windows 8 is beyond me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Unfortunately you need iTunes to manage an iPod for example.

Well, I'll just be thankful that iTunes isnt needed to manage my music/videos/podcasts/Internet radio on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. lol.

Good for you :thumb:. The only problem is that there is no alternative available for me :eek:.

My demands for a musicplayer are that it can play lossless audioformats, can contain more than 130 GB data and it must have a battery that can play up to 50 hours without charging. They only product that complies to these requirements is the iPod Classic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
ITunes is a horrible piece of software. To me its always been example number one of why Apple sucks so much. My Android phone doesn't need a proprietary program to sync my music. Fail for crApple. Epic fail actually. But the sycophants will give that company a pass no matter what it does or screws up.

The 'legacy' version works fine, so who cares?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
Apple/iTurd products are for mindless drones who are willing to accept things as they are, with no intent to change anything, and to just use the device as it was designed. With the exception of people who jailbreak their devices. And even a jailbroken device cant compare to the power and capabilities of an Android device with similar specs.

And Apple likes to use proprietary media formats that generally only work well on their devices/hardware. If I have a library with Apple then I have to convert my media files to an openly accepted/popular format like MP3, etc. I would rather just buy my media in MP3/etc formats in the first place.

They also think they're better than everyone else. Well, that's just not me. It just so happens that I consider myself a hacker of sorts (in the positive sense, not the ones we hear about everyday on the news that break laws), I like to tinker and figure out how things work and find innovative solutions to my problems. Which is my I've rooted my phone, unlocked the bootloader, and installed a custom ROM, etc. I also dualboot Linux and Windows 8/Windows Server 2012.

At its' core the OSes on Apple devices are really just Unix/Linux-based with some modifications and a prettied-up interface, designed to work on on the hardware that Apple provides. My dad also claims that Macs dont get viruses. He says it's impossible. Anyone with a background in computer security/programming/etc knows that's not true. To believe otherwise is ignorant. While it may be superior to most other OSes in terms of being malware-resistant, infections can and do happen. Linux rarely gets infected with malware either, and is a much better alternative that works on multiple hardware configurations.

Just my 2 cents..........

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
ITunes is a horrible piece of software. To me its always been example number one of why Apple sucks so much. My Android phone doesn't need a proprietary program to sync my music. Fail for crApple. Epic fail actually. But the sycophants will give that company a pass no matter what it does or screws up.
Meanwhile my Windows Phone requires me to use proprietary software (Zune) and Microsoft can't even be bothered to keep it updated, even on their own OS. At least Apple issue updates for iTunes in Windows, and I'd far rather use iTunes than Zune.

So while I accept what you say about Android being best in this respect, Microsoft are way worse than Apple here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
At its' core the OSes on Apple devices are really just Unix/Linux-based with some modifications and a prettied-up interface, designed to work on on the hardware that Apple provides.

Exactly. Where I come from that is a pretty rock solid, stable foundation. Since you like to tinker, have you ever opened up a terminal session on a Mac? The whole world of Unix is at your fingertips, a tinkerers paradise.

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Meanwhile my Windows Phone requires me to use proprietary software (Zune) and Microsoft can't even be bothered to keep it updated, even on their own OS. At least Apple issue updates for iTunes in Windows, and I'd far rather use iTunes than Zune.

So while I accept what you say about Android being best in this respect, Microsoft are way worse than Apple here.

What phone is it? What version of Windows Phone? I'm pretty light on knowledge on Windows Phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
What phone is it? What version of Windows Phone? I'm pretty light on knowledge on Windows Phone.
Nokia Lumia 610, running Windows Phone 7.5.
I believe I could upgrade it to 7.8 if I could face going into Zune. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
@Jf1450: I'm well aware that opening a terminal session on a Mac will let you access many Unix utils. As I said, it's just Unix at the core with mods and a pretty interface. Beneath that fancy exterior it's still Unix, complete with a kernel, etc.

But honestly, I'm not willing to give Apple the time of day, I refuse to use their products, with the exception of iTunes, and grudgingly at that. Why? Well, for one thing, I dislike their business philosophy and the general superiority attitude of many if not most of their fans. They have decent hardware, sometimes great, that's not my issue.

Apple wants to keep you tied in to THEIR software, on THEIR hardware, using THEIR services..........and ONLY with them, whenever possible. That's my issue with them. I say to anyone, to each his own and use whatever works for you, and if Apple products are someone's thing, then so be it, no need in wasting time trying to change/convert them, because it's unlikely to happen.

Microsoft is also guilty of doing many of the same things that Apple does, but I still use Windows because it's the obvious OS of choice for gamers like myself and most of the software I use runs on it. I'm willing to accept its' shortcomings regardless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
VLC all the way :D (still keep iTunes to sync with iPod unfortunately)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 Pro 9200
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Y460
    CPU
    Intel core i3 M350 2.27Ghz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Apple/iTurd products are for mindless drones who are willing to accept things as they are, with no intent to change anything, and to just use the device as it was designed. With the exception of people who jailbreak their devices. And even a jailbroken device cant compare to the power and capabilities of an Android device with similar specs.

The "anyone who doesn't think like I think is an idiot mentality" is rather appalling. It's one thing to disagree, it's another to call those who use certain products names because you dislike the brand.

And Apple likes to use proprietary media formats that generally only work well on their devices/hardware. If I have a library with Apple then I have to convert my media files to an openly accepted/popular format like MP3, etc. I would rather just buy my media in MP3/etc formats in the first place.

While this may be true to a certain extent, you can also choose to use a different format. Example, like most people, I have an iPod; however, I encode my music using AAC format, which can be played on a number of other media players, including... cough cough...Windows Media Player.

BTW there's this misconception that AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is an "Apple" exclusive format, but it's not.

My dad also claims that Macs dont get viruses. He says it's impossible. Anyone with a background in computer security/programming/etc knows that's not true. To believe otherwise is ignorant. While it may be superior to most other OSes in terms of being malware-resistant, infections can and do happen. Linux rarely gets infected with malware either, and is a much better alternative that works on multiple hardware configurations.

I don't think you have to be a computer programmer or security expert to understand any OS is prone to viruses. That said, I agree there is this prevalent misconception that Apple's OS can't get viruses.

I even had one of my college Professors (they taught basic computer - mainly Office) tell the class for assignment 1, we needed to make sure our AV was turned on, working, and up to date. When a student stated he had a Mac, they told the student not worry, that they didn't need to do this, and since Macs didn't get viruses, there was no AV available to them. Obviously this wasn't or isn't true... Google

Also - Hackers hitting Macs with virus: industry experts

BTW I corrected the professor privately, but they never publicly admitted the initial info given was wrong. I guess that was a hard pill to swallow.

And, yes, some Mac users do display a certain arrogance, but so do all of us in our own way.

My two cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
The "anyone who doesn't think like I think is an idiot mentality" is rather appalling. It's one thing to disagree, it's another to call those who use certain products names because you dislike the brand.

Amen to that!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
Unfortunately you need iTunes to manage an iPod for example. So therefore iTunes is a must have on my computer. Although I always say that fruit needs to be put into the fruitbasket rather then your computer, I have no complaints about iTunes. It does for me what it needs to do.

And that there is not an iTunes app coming won't mind me. I wouldn't use it anyway. I prefer the desktop version. :cool:
If your iphone or idevice is a certain age, it can be managed via other methods and software. apple likes to screw that up with every ios update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

That's because Microsoft kind of released Windows Phone 8 that has literally three different sync methods over 7....

They will say they are supporting Windows Phone 7.8, but in all honesty, it will just be little bits here and there on the platform versus Windows Phone 8's GRD2 release this year. But I can see why they are, because if they get caught up supporting an older platform versus a newer and DEFINTELY better platform, they will not have learned anything from their own history. Two years is decently long enough for a mobile platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

They also think they're better than everyone else. Well, that's just not me. It just so happens that I consider myself a hacker of sorts (in the positive sense, not the ones we hear about everyday on the news that break laws), I like to tinker and figure out how things work and find innovative solutions to my problems. Which is my I've rooted my phone, unlocked the bootloader, and installed a custom ROM, etc. I also dualboot Linux and Windows 8/Windows Server 2012.

At its' core the OSes on Apple devices are really just Unix/Linux-based with some modifications and a prettied-up interface, designed to work on on the hardware that Apple provides. My dad also claims that Macs dont get viruses. He says it's impossible. Anyone with a background in computer security/programming/etc knows that's not true. To believe otherwise is ignorant. While it may be superior to most other OSes in terms of being malware-resistant, infections can and do happen. Linux rarely gets infected with malware either, and is a much better alternative that works on multiple hardware configurations.

Just my 2 cents..........
Your two cents are of LOTS of value! :thumb:

Ugh!! I always convert FLAC audio files to WMA lossless as that format has more universal support than FLAC, and it keeps a lot of FLAC's properties. So I gave a whole WMA based discography to a friend so she could put it on her iphone, dragged it over into the iTunes window (pisses me off that you have to do that to update the iTunes library whereas Zune did that automatically as it wasn't deranged and used the Music library index) and guess what? Took about an hour to convert from WMA lossless to aac, apple's audio codec. Or actually, advanced audio coding.

I've always believed a jailbroken ios device is just akin to an android device.

And that's really stupid to believe macs don't get viruses, even apple had to change their wording saying macs don't get the same viruses as Windows, because the ones macs get can LITERALLY cripple the whole OS. They're right, Windows doesn't get those viruses unless if you use xp pre service packs. Even Kaspersky Labs has claimed a similar thing to mac os's security being such as Windows xp SP1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
itunes sucks, it sucks so hard that I want to go take a poop on apple's headquarters building and I don't even use it even remotely regularly. iTunes 11 is nothing more than a VERY poor Zune client ripoff mixed with itunes from the ipad..

I think it is the other way around, Zune has always been an iTunes ripoff client from the start, I know several people who have bought Zune players, they realise now that they need to toss them into the same recycle pile as Microsoft HD-DVDs.

Regardless of how hard iTunes 11 sucks various bodily parts which resemble sacks, it is still the only way to manipulate an apple device. I never have any problems with it really except that I can no longer DRAG content into it like I used to be able to do, I can however, click on a file and tell it to OPEN with iTunes, then it gets added.

The trick with apple has always been, find out what they changed, then find a new way to do what you used to be able to do easy. I't not really iTunes which sucks, it is the gorram APT crapola and App and OS Signing - So I always install AppSync, which allows the apps to go in even without proper signing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
That's because Microsoft kind of released Windows Phone 8 that has literally three different sync methods over 7....

They will say they are supporting Windows Phone 7.8, but in all honesty, it will just be little bits here and there on the platform versus Windows Phone 8's GRD2 release this year. But I can see why they are, because if they get caught up supporting an older platform versus a newer and DEFINTELY better platform, they will not have learned anything from their own history. Two years is decently long enough for a mobile platform.
Yes but it was less than 6 months ago when I bought mine; the Windows Phone 8 equivalent hadn't arrived in the shops here by then (and I'd killed my last phone so needed one quickly). So I'd still expect some decent support for a while yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10

Yes but it was less than 6 months ago when I bought mine; the Windows Phone 8 equivalent hadn't arrived in the shops here by then (and I'd killed my last phone so needed one quickly). So I'd still expect some decent support for a while yet.

That's the same thing that happens to people when they buy an iphone and the next one comes out in three months....or a month later...

Decent support is there for Windows Phone 7, it's just that it comes after 8. The new facebook app is to be released soon for 7, Temple Run can't run on 7 because it needs a gig of RAM for some odd reason. As long as it's Nokia, THEY will be supporting it. Microsoft is expecting OEMs to support their Windows Phones as well, Nokia does that.

But as for the Zune client and such, that's pretty much dead. That's that. It's been "replaced" by Xbox Music and Video apps on Windows 8, which are quite awful compared to Zune. For a company that's trying to pick up mobile share with Windows Phone 8, 7 has to get out of the way or otherwise they will get caught up supporting an older platform for a small user base. Yes, it sucks, but that's life. You wouldn't be expecting apple to release siri on the iphone 4 even though the 4s came out. You sure as hell wouldn't be expecting google to have mid range android 2 handsets run android 3 or 4. But yet, Windows Phone 7 HAS to be supported like no other?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
We dont want iTunes hanging around when were done with it anyway.. We just want to use it, leave money on the table, and be gone..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB