New Windows 8.1 HARD LOCK on driver installs

talon03

Hello, just about at my wits end with this issue... Installed Windows 8.1 for the first time and am having serious issues with installing drivers. Everytime I try to install my mouse drivers (Logitech g400), keyboard drivers (Corsair K90 RGB) or even so much as search for new hardware under the device manager, my PC hard locks - the HDD light stays on, the screen completely freezes (although after 30 seconds or so the mouse will disappear) and I have to hold down the power button and do a reboot. MB is an Asus P8Z77-V pro. So far I have:

Updated the chipset drivers
Updated Intel Management Interface
Updated Sound drivers
Attempted to update LAN drivers (that hard locked on "preparing for install")
Performed a re-install of Windows

I literally have no idea how to fix this, and no idea what's going on. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

EDIT: I've also removed my overclock on the off chance that was causing issues
Edit 2: uploaded SF debug files

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Did you get the new updates ?

KB3000850 can cause problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Just experienced another hard lock, this time the PC had only just booted and I was doing nothing with it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Your UEFI/BIOS dates from 2012. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the UEFI/BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard. If possible, use the "inside Windows" flash mechanism (if your OEM provides one) - that is much more forgiving than the traditional (floppy drive) flash method.

Only 6 Windows Updates installed. Most systems have 85 to 130 or more. Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Don't worry about the specific number, it's just important that you have checked and installed any updates that were available (and didn't experience any errors).

You have 3 hard drives. What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
One of the drives is an OCZ Agility3 - these had firmware problems in the earlier versions.
Please be sure that the firmware is updated.

If these steps don't resolve the problem, please generate a new set of reports after trying them.
Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog))
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
this is a standard request, I don't suspect overheating - but it doesn't hurt to check :0)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Back