New Install - questions about ISO file and keys

johnhoh

I want to do a clean install of 8.1pro x64 on a samsung 960 evo M.2 NVMe SSD on a Z270 chipset, i7-7700k system. I've read Brink's tutorial on a Clean Install. A few questions please:

1) Is this ISO file the best one to download? Or are there other ISOs out there that have more current pre-packaged up-to-date windows updates, as well as newer drivers?
Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)

2) I am in the dark on where to get a product key. All I need is a key, no media. On ebay there are several vendors who appear to have hundreds of satisfied customers who are selling just a product key for under $10, but I assume that's a scam. Can anyone point me to the best place to get a LEGITIMATE key?

Thanks!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7 pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    home built
    CPU
    i7-7700k
    Motherboard
    gigabyte z270n-wifi
    Memory
    2x8GB Corsair pc3200
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard intel hd630
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes
What OS can with your PC ???
If it came with windows 8/8.1 then you do not need a Key as it is embedded into the BIOS

After running setup from the ISO - you will have to run MS Updates, to bring to current...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
btw, the Windows 8.1 ISO from the Microsoft Win8.1 download page has Win8.1 + Update 3 (KB3000850)
Update 1 (KB2919355) also included & integrated

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB
btw, the Windows 8.1 ISO from the Microsoft Win8.1 download page has Win8.1 + Update 3 (KB3000850)
Update 1 (KB2919355) also included & integrated

This would be good news! After reading about all the headaches many had with 2919355, getting it installed without numerous errors, it would be fantastic to know for sure this update is integrated. Also, no DotNet 3.5 is annoying, I'm one who does infact need it for my various apps, though this appears to be somewhat easier using the Dism method, pointing to my flash installer for the source folder - fingers crossed. Plus, my internet connection is way too slow to try this online, I'm used to (and prefer) to update offline as much as possible.

Is it possible for you to get a hash, sha1, sha256, anything to verify the ISO I download is the same as yours with 2919355 integrated?

TIA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
Is it possible for you to get a hash, sha1, sha256, anything to verify the ISO I download is the same as yours with 2919355 integrated?TIA

downloading the ISO from here after selecting version Win8.1, then English language:
Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)

then using the Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier found here:
Download Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier from Official Microsoft Download Center

produces a hash of e0d4594e56c0545d379340e0db9519a5, and a right-click>properties file size of 4.02 GB (4,320,526,336 bytes), for downloaded file Win8.1_English_x64.ISO

I need someone to tell me how to verify that Updates 1&3 were definitely integrated into the ISO though as I can't find anything on microsoft.com that would verify that. I tried browsing within the ISO and the install.wim file but could not find where to look for integrated updates.

I downloaded and install this ISO last week then used windows update to get me up totally to date, which downloaded about 100 updates and almost all of them had KB numbers that started with 30xxxxx or higher, which seemed to indicate that Updates 1 and 3 were indeed included in the ISO.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7 pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    home built
    CPU
    i7-7700k
    Motherboard
    gigabyte z270n-wifi
    Memory
    2x8GB Corsair pc3200
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard intel hd630
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    malwarebytes
produces a hash of e0d4594e56c0545d379340e0db9519a5, and a right-click>properties file size of 4.02 GB (4,320,526,336 bytes), for downloaded file Win8.1_English_x64.ISO

johnhoh, you're awesome! Thank you for the checksum and size information. I have the same iso.

I need someone to tell me how to verify that Updates 1&3 were definitely integrated into the ISO though as I can't find anything on microsoft.com that would verify that. I tried browsing within the ISO and the install.wim file but could not find where to look for integrated updates.

Head over to Windows Update from Control Panel, click the link to Installed Updates, a list will appear.

2919355 (Update 1) added Power Options & Search to the Start screen -> upper right side. Update 1 also added the ability to boot directly to the desktop. There were other fixes and improvements as well, these 2 I was most interested in.

A .csv file from MS lists what's included in Update 1 & 3.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...c566104d9956/file information for 2919355.csv
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...061-e33c85935e47/file information 3000850.csv

Again, thanks for the information, much appreciated. I still wont be fully convinced exactly what was integrated until I do my own fresh install using this ISO since you updated the system via Windows Update -- it's not impossible these updates came via WU.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
I wanted to follow up my previous post with new details after a HDD failure forced me to do a fresh install. I hope this helps anyone still running 8.1x64 english (core). I mention the specifics because I'm unsure it applies to other 8.1x64 iso images on the MS site above - posts #1 and #5.

The install was fast (usb stick, created by rufus), problem free. The iso was correct for my Lenovo G50-45. It recognized the key in the bios... I had to activate later, I clicked the activation link on the system info page - just that simple. I poked the install for a bit to see if I could cause any problems, a test drive. I chose not to connect to the internet during install (explained below) otherwise it might have activated. Oh, disable secure boot in the bios if you have it enabled. A uefi install is doable, create a uefi thumb drive and leave the bios set to uefi.

One nice feature of the 8.1x64 english core iso, it had update 1 and 3 integrated. There were 32 total updates integrated - see attached image. It just occurred to me, those who know better might notice updates they wish weren't installed?

There were 3 reasons why I didn't connect to WU during install... My connection speed is a mere 1mb (slow). Also, I didn't want WU to install patches that I might need to remove if I wanted .net 3.5 to install easily. Finally, I wanted to get a look at the install, see what updates MS integrated - see attachment. I'm sure there's something to dislike about the vanilla install, I'm pretty easy to please here, it seems to work very nicely. I don't think the iso had any vc++ packages integrated, you'll need these.

Finally, really :) If you don't need .net 3.5, and you don't care much about the iso prior to updating via WU, and you want an activated system - select to connect and update during the os install, you'll get up-and-running much faster.

OTOH, if you need .net 3.5, wait to update the os, do it after the install of .net 3.5. The easiest, no fuss method is to use the Dism approach (imo). It's quick, no updates to remove, no features to activate. Well, it was smooth for me, on my system. The resource needed is located on the bootable usb drive (\sources\sxs), and dism.exe is on Windows.

Here's what I did (ymmv). I would expect the same results again, on functioning hardware - good ram, hdd, psu, etc...

Note: I had my charged battery installed and my laptop connected to ac.

- Adjusted time before the display goes dark, 60min to be safe. No sleep/hibernate worries, installed os on an ssd.
- Turned off autoplay - do as you like. I hate popup dialogs bothering me.
- Rebooted atleast once after new os install (any big update) - you may discover something is broke. Why move ahead at this point.
- Inserted the 8.1 bootable usb stick in a usb 2.0 port, no hubs (it may be ok, wanted to be safe).
- Opened command prompt as admin - must do this as an admin otherwise it will fail.
- Typed (cut/paste) the following command - then hit Enter... and let the process complete.
Note: The location of \sources\sxs\ may not be drive D: for you, edit accordingly

The command to run:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Important: A word of warning. The process may appear to be stuck, frozen at some point, mine happened around 60.4 percent. It wasn't stuck, it was working. Point being, once you hit Enter and start the install - step away from the machine... don't be tempted to cancel. It should complete in a few minutes - let it be. You should get the message that the install was successful. Be positive :)

I enabled secure boot, I don't think you have to though. I rebooted again after the installation completed, just because.

I hope this helps - good luck.

Attachments

• Win8.1x64.ISO.Updates.png
    Win8.1x64.ISO.Updates.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 141

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop