NEW Hard Drive Install

vfmorton

I have just replaced my HD in my Asus Laptop. Bought a WD , 1 TB. I started up the power and the Bios came right up. I placed the DVD with the Win8 setup info in the drive and it is doing nothing.I have to use a dvd and I checked to see if the setup information loaded correctly onto the dvd and it did, but when I place the dvd into the computer , the boot menu keeps coming up. What am I doing wrong. Am I supposed to be telling the boot to do something?
I really don't know anything about the boot menu. I tried using the install instructions sent to me: https://www.eightforums.com/threads/clean-install-windo... but I do not understand most of it.
HD loaded GREAT so that leads me to believe it WAS my HD that died, so if I can get past the boot menu, I may be able to get the rest to work! Heeeelp and thanks to you for the help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP pailion
    CPU
    unk
    Motherboard
    unk
    Memory
    unk
    Graphics Card(s)
    unk
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    TrendMicro
Can you boot another computer with your Windows 8 DVD? This is just to test the DVD; as soon as you get to a prompt in the Windows 8 install process, you can power down that computer.

Go into the BIOS of your ASUS laptop and make sure that it is configured to allow for booting from a DVD.

Once you begin the boot process, you need to tap repeatedly on the F12 key; soon that will bring up a boot menu, which will allow you to select the DVD drive and proceed with the Windows install. Be aware that after you select the option to boot from the DVD drive, it will ask you again a few seconds later if you want to boot from the DVD: "Hit any key to boot from the CD/DVD".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back