New Acer Lap Top came with Linux - How to Install Win 7?

Question, there is a file I see on my desktop, this one:

Photo0839.jpg

If I install this, will I be able to turn my lap top on without the USB stick?

I am asking because I don't want to do anything and mess things up... As I said, I'm way out of my league here...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
You basically do the same thing you did to get Linux going. Create a bootable USB windows 7 or XP drive, assuming you have legit copies with valid keys. I don't know if the UEFI thing will come into play. I'm assuming there is no key burned to the chip since you got no OS with the computer.

Ok, so I can do it with UNetbootin for Windows 7 just like I did with Linux Mint.

But that would mean that I'd have to always use the USB in order to turn my lap top on... I'd rather avoid that...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Anyway, whether you help me see this through to the end or not, you made somebody (Me) very happy today... You taught me many things that I didn't know...

If you believe in a God, any God, he loves you right now :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Dont worry, the fact that you got this far means your PC is capable and windows should install fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Dont worry, the fact that you got this far means your PC is capable and windows should install fine.

That is very comforting to hear, because even though I got Linux Mint running I still wasn't sure if Windows 7 would be supported.

Thank you Superfly

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Anyway, whether you help me see this through to the end or not, you made somebody (Me) very happy today... You taught me many things that I didn't know...

Thank you so much. I do believe in a higher power, not so much the standard popular God thing. Glad we (Superfly) could help. You'll just have to install whatever OS you want once you have a bootable system. All from USB of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Appreciated, but it would be nice to see Windows running buddy;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

Thank you so much. I do believe in a higher power, not so much the standard popular God thing. Glad we (Superfly) could help. You'll just have to install whatever OS you want once you have a bootable system. All from USB of course.

Glad to hear. You all contributed, I'm equally grateful to all of you guys, I really needed the support, I was feeling rather dark when I got here... :)

Ok, here's what I'll attempt:

1) I'll double-click on the "Install Linux Mint" icon found on my desktop (like shown in the picture I posted above). I will do this in hopes that Linux Mint will be installed on my lap top and then it will load WITHOUT the USB stick.

If that works...

I will put Windows 7 on my USB stick (And remove Linux Mint from it), and then try to install it either by booting from startup (if that works) or by entering "My computer" after turning the lap top on and doing it from there...

That's what I'll try... If anyone has anything to contribute, please do :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok, this is a win-win situation.

The Forum gets a Quality thread, which was successfully resolved - partially for now, but it will be completely by the time we're done with it. That will bring more traffic to the forum, more members to the forum, more help and communication, and hopefully some revenue for the forum (I don't see any ads though, hmm) ;)

I get my new Lap Top up and running - partially for now, but it will be completely up and running Windows 7 by the time we're done here.

That leaves out you guys that helped me... I'm not ungrateful...

Ok, I got 4 twitter accounts with over 5.000 followers put together... Send me a link or two of your website, facebook page, twitter account, anything you want to promote, each of you guys that have commented on this thread I'll do it for you, I'll share your link/s on my twitter accounts. That will give you social signals and hopefully some traffic to your website, fan page, affiliate product, anything you like (no pron please) :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Thanks for the response. I am willing to do Anything popeye...

But, I consider myself to be very knowledgeable when it comes to Windows 7 and XP in particular.

But Linux, Ubuntu, I have never even seen these OS' in action. Is there a simple step by step tutorial I can get to install Linux Mint, or whichever OS is easiest/best to use??

Hi there
Try my post on installing Linux on a bootable external drive. It also adds Windows as a VM -- you can skip that bit though - just get the Linux system working.

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...make-portable-windows-system-any-version.html

You should be able to disable protected boot in the BIOS and enable legacy boot so you don't have to boot UEFI.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Here are my options:

Photo0840.jpg

I will choose the second one, to Erase disk and install Linux Mint...

Here goes nothing.. hehe :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

But, I consider myself to be very knowledgeable when it comes to Windows 7 and XP in particular.

But Linux, Ubuntu, I have never even seen these OS' in action. Is there a simple step by step tutorial I can get to install Linux Mint, or whichever OS is easiest/best to use??

Hi there
Try my post on installing Linux on a bootable external drive. It also adds Windows as a VM -- you can skip that bit though - just get the Linux system working.

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...make-portable-windows-system-any-version.html

You should be able to disable protected boot in the BIOS and enable legacy boot so you don't have to boot UEFI.

Cheers
jimbo

Excellent input jimbo, he can have the best of both worlds. Didn't even consider that. I use VM myself but never think to recommend it to others. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Hey Jimbo... Thank you for your response.

Well, I have installed Linux on a bootable external drive, now I'm attempting to install Linux on the internal drive, and if that works it will free up my USB so that I can put windows 7 on it, and try to get that working...

Excuse my ignorance, what is VM?

EDIT: I googled it. It's "Virtual Machine", yes?

I'll be honest, I have little to no idea what that means... :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
The whole point of this thread is simply this:

"Install Windows 7 on a Lap Top"

That's all I want to do... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I just remembered some Videos I watched of Jacob Applebaum where he talks about the safest way to have an operating system is on a USB stick...

Because he was being harassed at the borders and they'd take his lap top and go through his info and stuff...

Haha, now I know how to do it.. Carry my lap top, authorities take it to check it, no operating system on it...

Authorities = Fail

Mahaahaha that would be soooo funny :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Well, I have installed Linux on a bootable external drive, now I'm attempting to install Linux on the internal drive, and if that works it will free up my USB so that I can put windows 7 on it, and try to get that working...

It is basically running another OS within a primary OS. In your case it would be running 7 or XP within Linux. You would have both systems working on your machine. There is different VM software to accomplish this.

Sneaky, sneaky on the border thing. You hiding something buddy? ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
Thanks for the rep Adamf, and I like your country :)

I tried thanking you on your profile, but, call me stupid, I couldn't figure out how to add a visitor message :confused:

Linux Mnt is still installing, it's 75% complete...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

It is basically running another OS within a primary OS. In your case it would be running 7 or XP within Linux. You would have both systems working on your machine. There is different VM software to accomplish this.

Sneaky, sneaky on the border thing. You hiding something buddy? ;)

Oooh I get it... Well, I like things "clean", that sounds a bit cluttered.. Besides, I have no reason to do that. One OS is enough for my needs... But thank you for the explanation, I keep getting educated around mhya :D

Whaaaaat? Meee? Hide something? Naaaah :what:

I just like my privacy... I don't bother anybody, why would I allow someone else to bother me? However, I cannot prevent the authorities from bothering me, so I can at least protect my privacy from those who would invade it :p ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Your previous posts said you were on 66% so an improvement (hopefully).

You'll get there certainly with your clear perseverance :)

You never know you might like Mint and not even install Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)