New Acer Lap Top came with Linux - How to Install Win 7?

Hi! I have the same problem as justme: I've bought an Acer Aspire with Linpus Linux. I've tried to install Linux Mint, as you said, but the laptop doesn't work without the USB flash drive. I've tried also to install Windows 8.1 from USB but the laptop doesn't recognize it (<No bootable device>). I am desperate and I really don't know what to do. I've read all your 28 pages, but I didn't find a solution. :(

I would be grateful if you could help me with some advice. I'll appreciate!

Oh, poor guy. It's a bi*#h, I know.

Well, it's been a long time, but from what I remember I had to change something in the BIOS before I could install Windows 8. I'm sure I mentioned it - I mentioned everything - in one of my previous responses.

Did you manage to fix it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I went back a few pages and a response that was made well after I fixed the problem said "try switching boot mode from UEFI to Legacy mode."

That's it. I must've mentioned it too on one of the pages. So after you make that switch it will allow you to install Windows. Well, it should anyway. Give that a shot if you're still having the problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I just read this through again, up to page 15 now. Guys, we were ****ing beasts here. This is how Billions are made! :D

So I bought a new lap top - ACER Aspire E5-575G-56CA 15.6" FHD Intel Core i5-7200U 8GB 1TB 128GB SSD GF 950M 2GB ODD crni - Computers Web Shop d.o.o.

Here we go again hahahaha

If I ever start a company or shop that sells computers, and an employee suggests we ship out computers with Linux, I'm gonna stab them. Okay maybe not, but still :p

So anyway, my New lap top has the exact same ****ing problem as the last one did. I read through this thread now and got reminded of everything. I went in BIOS and changed UEFI to Legacy (last time I had to update BIOS to be able to do this), and now the CD with Windows 7 on it is recognized (it wouldn't boot it in UEFI mode).

Thanks to this thread I avoided installing Linux Mint first, and found out I had to change the option in BIOS from UEFI to Legacy.

Superfly and Popeye and everybody, you guys rock!!!

I'm installing Windows 7 on my new lap top right now :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Oh My God..

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

So I get to the place where I have to choose my drive where I want to install the OS. And it hits me with this error:

"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error 0x80300024"

The lap top had 4 drivers (even though it only has 2 Hard Drives - 126GB SSD and 1TB HHD)

I Googled the problem, and I landed here: Error (0x80300024) Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

In there, this super cool dude awesome guy said: "Try removing all partitions from the disk. Mine did this, and after deleting all partitions it made a 100mb "system reserved" partition and the rest to the primary "C" partition."

So I deleted all 4 partitions, and when I deleted the last one, all of a sudden it went down to 2 partitions (as it's logical, one for SSD and one for HDD - their sizes were correct too). Then I selected the 126GB SSD drive, clicked next, and now Windows is installing. And a feeling of relief washed over me aaahhh :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
So Windows 7 installed and all.

New lap top won't accept any mouse. I tried 2 of them. Plug the USB, the mouse glows red, so it's getting power. But it just isn't working.

Also plugged in an external WIFI antenna I have, to try and connect the lap top to the internet, but it won't even turn on the lights on the antenna.

Well rubbish. Emm... emm...

I guess I'll get the cable and plug the lap top directly in the WIFI router, see if that gets me anywhere.

Why always so complicated? Pfff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Oh wow. It seems my new lap top doesn't have an ethernet port.

Oh wow. That's just beautiful man. Just ****ing beautiful man (sarcasm level 1000%).

For ****s sake!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
So I download the Wireless drivers from Acer's website, put the file on an external USB, and plug the USB in the new lap top.

The USB isn't recognized. Nothing happens when I plug it in. I tried with 2 different USB's, and none worked.

I'm restarting the lap top, to see if a restart gets it kicking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I also tried an external hard drive I have just now.

The drive's lights go on, but nothing's happening. The lap top refuses to recognize anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
So, it seems the lap top came with a CD, which I didn't even notice in the box.

Let's see if it has anything of value on it, or just a big F YOU inside.

Let's see...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Oh, so the CD has drivers on it.

However, it says.

"Supported OS: Windows 10 x64"

So the lap top then only supports Windows 10?

Basically, the Drivers installation window lists me no drivers. I assume because it recognizes I don't have Windows 10, but Windows 7.

So I just went through the folders on the CD, located the Aetheros wireless, and double clicked on the setup. It worked!

Wireless drivers installed, will connect to internet now.

[video=youtube;c9OuoMPaVSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9OuoMPaVSQ[/video]

Acer balls got me down
won't be long here my eyes are round

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
First time I noticed this thread so not going to read all the posts to see if it was mentioned before, but I was just wondering why a thread titled: "New Acer Lap Top came with Linux - How to Install Win 7?" is posted in https://www.eightforums.com/ ????

I mentioned it in one of my previous replies. Of course, I don't expect anyone to read everything, there's so much.

I wanted to throw up Win 7, but wasn't sure, could have been Win 8. And in my search I came across this forum many times with many helpful information. So I decided to ask here.

Ultimately I did go with Windows 8.1 here. Thanks to my man Superfly

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Well hello everybody. I hope everyone's still alive and well :)

So I've been using the lap top for a long time, no problems. Today I decided to format it, and after I get to the page where windows is installing, at 8% it always throws an error, like so:

0x8007025D.png

I tried a few things. Changing the USB port I'm using. Going in BIOS and changing to Legacy mode. Formatting/deleting drives/partitions. Every time at 8% I get that error. By the way, I'm using the same 8GB USB 3.0 drive with the same ISO on it that I had used when I installed Windows 8.1 on the lap top 4 years ago. I bought a new USB back then, and I've kept it in the box since, with the same Win 8.1 ISO installed on it from 4 years ago. In the meantime I formatted the lap top once with the same USB by the way.

The lap top was working fine before I tried formatting it. The only weird thing about it was that, even though it was empty of files and programs, it was showing me 57.4 GB free of 460 GB. So it was supposedly using up 400 GB of space. But that was 100% wrong, the lap top had almost nothing on it. That's why I decided to format it, because I couldn't figure out where all the space is going. The lap top was empty as empty can be.

I have no idea what the problem is. Could be hardware. The hard drive or ram, or both. But if it's hardware why was it working fine before?

Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
I've formatted the USB drive and I'm reinstalling Windows 8.1 on it using Rufus. Just as we did way back when about 4 years ago.

I mean, I doubt the USB got damaged or anything like that, as I never used this USB again. I doubt that with time it could have gotten damaged. What? Dust? :D

So anyway, I'm putting Windows 8.1 on the USB again, and once it's done I'll try to install it again. If that fails, I guess, I don't know, I may try to throw Windows 10 on it just to see what errors I get, if any.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
General Forum Rules

So while I was trying to install Windows 8.1 again on the lap top, I went in Command Prompt somehow and did something where I converted the USB drive to MBR. Frankly, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing. I was kinda pissed so I was just clicking and entering, clicking and entering boys :D

After making the drive MBR, it was not getting recognized anymore! :eek: So I took it out of the lap top and inserted it in my new lap top (running Windows 10). The USB drive was recognized. Meaning, it was visible in My Computer. But I could still not open it. After a bit of research I opened CMD and did the stuff needed to restore the USB drive. But in restoring it I had to Format it. So now it was clean, empty, but at least recognizable.

So even though I was sure it wouldn't work, I figured foodle it, and I installed the same ISO image of Windows 8.1 on it. The same image I used 4 years ago. And I used Rufus to install it, just as I did 4 years ago.

When it was done I plugged it in my old lap top and ran the installer again, being certain it would not work. Why would it work? It's the same USB, the same ISO, the same formatting, the same Rufus installation, everything is exactly the same.

It worked! :cool:

Hahaha I can't believe it. Windows just installed on the lap top and now I'm good to go. foodle yeah!

How these weird things happen is beyond me.

I guess... it's hot dog, not hot dog... it's technology -

Thanks yaaal :)

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hey everyone, I'm new here.

I am nearing depression here. Spent almost 6 hours now trying to do a simple thing, a thing I've been doing for a decade now on various computers and lap tops; which is Installing a Fresh Version of Windows 7 (And before that it used to be Win XP).

Here's the story.

Yesterday I bought a new Lap Top. This is the model:

http://www.bcgroup-online.com/proizvodi/laptop-i-notebook-racunari/Acer-Aspire-E1_510_35204G50Dnkk-24680/

It came with a pre-installed Linux OS (It's basically useless), and it has no cd-rom (doesn't matter, I always only use USB's and External Hard Discs)

So I tried installing a fresh copy of Win 7... I created a USB following a tutorial online, tried booting from:

USB CDROM
USB FDD
USB HDD

Fail!

Then I saw that the Boot Mode is UEFI, and it's the ONLY one available, cannot be changed.

So I found a tutorial on this forum here and created a new USB Windows 7 OS, using Rufus. I was sure it would work. I tried booting from all 3 USB I mentioned above, fail...

My lap top is i686, which means it's a 32 BIT (It's not mentioned in the specifications for the model in the link I gave above)...

So basically I got screwed over here. When I bought the lap top yesterday I asked specifically if it's possible to Install Windows 7 on this machine, and they said yes... But I don't see it...

Can anyone please, please help me, this is totally depressing, they be selling useless lap tops nowadays it seems... And even the existing linux installation is absolutely useless, it's a Linpus Linux edition, and from what I've read it's a read-only mode or something like that...

In other words, I buy a new lap top which I CANNOT use the way it is, and which won't allow me to boot from USB in order to install a different OS (Windows 7), what are we doing here?

Thank you...
I recomed you this lap top if you decide for the new one in the future, though i dont know how much it cost in your country but you can check the specs here Laptop HP Pavilion 14-dv1039nm 14" FHD/Intel i5-1155G7/8 GB/256 GB SSD/IrisX - Laptop računari - Laptop i tablet računari - Mobilni uređaji

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
You were correct!

Once I Logged In, I was able to respond to the Post.

Many thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows-7 64-Bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Elite 8300 CMT
    CPU
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770
    Motherboard