How to Create a "Networks" (Connect To) Shortcut in Windows 8 and 8.1
This tutorial will show how to create or download a "Networks" (Connect To) shortcut that opens directly to the modern Networks UI screen in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.
You could also open the Networks flyout by doing either of the following below.
- Click/tap on the Network system icon in the notification area on the taskbar.
- Open the Charms bar, click/tap on Settings, and click/tap on the Network icon.
Pressing F5 with the Networks flyout open, will refresh the network list.
EXAMPLE: Networks UI in Windows 8
OPTION ONETo Download a "Networks" UI Shortcut for Windows 8
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ZIP file below.
2. Save the .zip file to the desktop.
3. Open the .zip file and extract (drag and drop) the Networks flyout shortcut to the desktop.
4. For the first time that you run the shortcut, uncheck the Always ask before opening this file box, and click/tap on Open to unblock the shortcut.
5. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file on the desktop if you like, or save it to use again.
OPTION TWOTo Manually Create a "Networks" UI Shortcut in Windows 8
1. Right click or press and hold on a empty area of the desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.
2. Copy and paste either command below into the location area, and click/tap on the Next button. (see screenshot below)
3. Type Networks flyout for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can name this shortcut anything you would like though.
4. Right click or press and hold on the new Networks flyout shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.
5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
NOTE: You can use any icon that you would like instead though.
8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)
9. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar on desktop, Pin to Start screen, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to it, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
- How to Enable or Disable Networks UI on Sign in Screen in Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Create a "Network Connections" Shortcut in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- How to Create a Network Connection Settings Shortcut in Windows 8.1
- How to Change Network Name in Windows 8 and 8.1
- How to Enable or Disable a Network Adapter (NIC) in Windows
- How to Add a Virtual Private Network Connection in Windows 8.1