Network HD lost data

mickyd

Sorry i have no idea where to post this - the other morning I woke up kto find that nothing could connect to my WD network drive - when i tried to log on to the drive it said password incorrect (even tho i know i had the correct password. So i pressed the reset button to reset the passwrd (which i have done previously) when i did this changed password first thing i saw was all parts i added (general, photos, videos) had all gone everything was gone
How could this happen??#

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Own Build
    CPU
    AMD FX8350
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 (AM3R2)
    Memory
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Hard Drives
    C: Sandisc Ultra II 240GB
    D: Toshiba 3=2TB
    E: WDC 1TB
    Cooling
    1 rear 1 top 2 front
    Internet Speed
    70mbs
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    MBAM, ccleaner
When did they find out about this? This the ossue with this tech firms they just STOP supporting things and this happens - bunch of money hungry DICKHEADS
Doesnt say where it could have come from tho does it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Own Build
    CPU
    AMD FX8350
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    1 rear 1 top 2 front
    Internet Speed
    70mbs
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    MBAM, ccleaner
It's WD's fault with faulty software/firmware allowing the drive to be hacked, so all they can do is update the software.
They sure as hell can't replace your data. I would never use one of those drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x
I would replace it but i have no money - i lost a year worth of stuff because my backup HD is missing how would it have got on there

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Own Build
    CPU
    AMD FX8350
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    1 rear 1 top 2 front
    Internet Speed
    70mbs
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    MBAM, ccleaner
There is a lot more on this out there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x
Dare I say it? Sure. Once upon a time in my innocence and mass ignorance I owned this abomination. As far as I can remember this had been a problem with WD MY BOOK. I guess they finally have come clean with the issue or enough people complained about it. I called Western Digital to explain the problem and GOOD NEWS! ;) Yes, indeedy. For a nominal fee they will recover the data for you if the drive is under warranty. They will do it for a nominal fee, a fee most people will have to sell their left kidney for. Now I'm certain there are some real hard core fans of Western Digital out there so I don't want to step on any toes and say don't buy Western Digital junk drives. Instead I'll say my WD BLUE SSDs work just fine. Instead I'll say my Western Digital Black NVMe is blazing fast, giving me data transfer speeds of 3.5 GigaBYTES per second. Instead I'll say Western Digital makes good flash drives. Now I'm gonna say Western Digital makes garbage. All Western Digital mechanical hard drives with the possible exception of Enterprise class drives are pure, unmitigated crapola. I've gone through hundreds of them so I oughta know.

Exceptions: Ye olde Western Digital Velociraptor mechanical drives that they don't make anymore because they're so tuff they last decades and cost the company too much money to make. Oh wait, those are Enterprise class aren't they? Whatever. They don't make them anymore.

I lost over 3 TB of data years ago using a "MY BOOK". I learned my lesson. I could share how I back up my data now but I would probably have to write another book about that so let me state this much: Use RAID, back up your RAID, back up your back up, and keep a rotating cold storage. I strongly recommend using an LSI/BROADCOM/AVAGO RAID card. For the price of a junk drive i.e./ Western Digital My Book this is feasible. BTW RAID is back up when you back up your back up. AND... If you don't back up your back up you have no back up. 'Nuff said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
The biggest problem with the WD My Books is that they use hardware encryption by default. If the PCB controller board goes bad then it is almost impossible (but can be done) to recover any data since the encryption key is imbeded into the board. You can't just replace the board as you can on Seagate's or Adata and other drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Browser
    Palemoon 28.x