Solved Netflix App

TO5d7.png
it's a 4850 trough DVI to an LG w2353v tipycal monitor
no idea what could be the problem, maybe i'll just wait for the catalyst update to see if that helps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 x86,7 x64, 8 x64, xp
    CPU
    Motherboard
    asus p8p67 pro
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati hd4850
the problem is the ati 4800 series has been retired to the legacy video cards and there is going to be no further driver update from AMD. the legacy 12.6 (which I don't use because of DRM/HDCP problems) is the final driver.

Metro/Windows Store apps enforce DRM/HDCP strongly. If there's any unprotection along the path, it won't play. Are you using a DVI-I cable or a DVI-D cable? Since the DVI-I has both DVI and VGA (the 4 pins are for VGA), that's an unprotected pathway because VGA is not a secure connection (too easy to copy its contents). The way to close this problem is to switch to a DVI-D cable. However, with a DVI-D cable, since it's no longer VGA, there's no DVI-to-VGA adapter available because these adapters depended on DVI-I.

277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
they are going to have some updates, just not as frequently and mainly bug/security fixes, check it out 13.1 just popped today AMD Catalyst

thanks for the connector head's up, didn't think about that, and it's good to know. I'm on DVI-D single link now, but i have an spare HDMI lying around so i should be able to test that too. I'll report back in a while with all this new things to try.

edit: new driver is 8.970.100.7000

edit2: seems like i'm back at the 97% stuck bug

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    asus p8p67 pro
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati hd4850
13.1 doesn't apply to the legacy devices...

I can't get 13.1 for my HD4670. your 4850 has been retired by AMD. it's something you're going to have to come to terms with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
windows 8 default ati drivers now are working with netflix here
ps: tried hdmi with ati legacy and same 97% problem

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    asus p8p67 pro
    Memory
    16 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati hd4850
yeah, my next upgrade is a new graphics card that will keep getting driver updates with windows 8 in mind. having a legacy card will only have more problems as time moves along.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Hello Guys, I new here, and I need a help, I've tried all that I found online to make my netflix app work, I'm using windows 8.1 I have a ATI 6770 and I use two monitors, a DVI-D Acer monitor and my tv in HDMI, and when I try to open the app all that I have is the initial screen that keeps loading forever, does anyone knows how to fix it?

I've already removed my drivers and used only the windows default driver, I've removed my tv to try only at the monitor, all this kind of stuff, could somebody please help me? thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 64
Hello Guys, I new here, and I need a help, I've tried all that I found online to make my netflix app work, I'm using windows 8.1 I have a ATI 6770 and I use two monitors, a DVI-D Acer monitor and my tv in HDMI, and when I try to open the app all that I have is the initial screen that keeps loading forever, does anyone knows how to fix it?

I've already removed my drivers and used only the windows default driver, I've removed my tv to try only at the monitor, all this kind of stuff, could somebody please help me? thanks

I was having the same problem as you, the only solution i found was swapping my HDMI connection from the VGA to the motherboard, now it works perfectly. The problem is that if you meant to play a game you´ll need to swap it back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    I7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x HD7970
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Silent pro 1000w
    Case
    HAF 922
    Internet Speed
    10MB
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast
I was having the same problem as you, the only solution i found was swapping my HDMI connection from the VGA to the motherboard, now it works perfectly. The problem is that if you meant to play a game you´ll need to swap it back.

What you mean by swapping in VGA mobo? like removing the cable in the graphic card adapter? or what? could you please explain a little more?

thanks dude

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 64
Hi, new here but I'm registered at the sevenforums.

Here's a fix I just found.

I've posted in a couple of threads (on another site) about my woes in getting the Netflix app under Metro in Windows 8/8.1 to work.

It now seems likely that the cause of my woes with Netflix were due to my installation of Silverlight having rotted.

Out of the blue I wasn't able to use Amazon Instant Video and so I ran through their checklist of things to do. One of the last things to do was this.

If you're still experiencing streaming issues, go to Microsoft Support to uninstall and reinstall the Silverlight player:

I now had my Amazon Instant Video back and, feeling on to something, I tried Netflix again and I was now successful in using it.

I had googled this problem and I wasn't alone. Hopefully people will stumble on this fix by googling.

I just posted this on another forum where I had complained of my problem. I then googled to see who else was looking for a fix. And now here I am. I really hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I've made it! I solved the issue, on the hard way, I've re-installed my windows 8.1 and now netflix is working, don't ask me why or how, all that I've done is to install windows all a new with drivers and apps and its working now

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 64
Hey. I can't find the app in windows store. Using a Windows 8.1 Tablet, outside US, yes, but I can use Neteflix in the browser just fine. Searched around the web for the actual instalation file with no luck. Could you help me out with a solution or the actual app file? Thanks :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
Are you in the US/UK ? Because I am not. I can't get the app on Android Play Store eighter but downloaded the apk file separately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been tried yet, but it just worked for me.

I was setting up my dad's new laptop he just got, HP 2000-2d19WM Notebook PC running Windows 8. I was having the same "W8159" error message for my "DRM" error for the Windows 8 Netflix app. So, here's how I fixed it.

I opened up Mozilla and went into Netflix that way and tried to view a video, it then proceeded to tell me install Silverlight.
I stalled Silverlight and now the app works just fine as well as the browser.

The first thing I tried to do when I got the "W8159" error was I went to the Silverlight website and tried to install it, but it didn't work from there, so that's when I just went through the web browser.

Hope this helps!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    ?
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA
    Browser
    Google
    Antivirus
    Avast
Babel17

Thank you for your post. I searched google for quite some time until I found your fix --no sound when watching Netflix.
It was very easy to apply Microsoft's Fix-It. Saved the night.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Babel17

Thank you for your post. I searched google for quite some time until I found your fix --no sound when watching Netflix.
It was very easy to apply Microsoft's Fix-It. Saved the night.

I just now saw your post, thank you for the reply! It makes me feel good and it helps other people who are googling for an answer and see it.

P.S. One time, at Amazon, I found that by disabling a rule for the https everywhere firefox addon I was able to fix an issue with Amazon Instant Video not playing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Welcome back to 8F, Babel17. I see you've been working on this for a while. ;)

Thanks for posting your FF solution.

I've been a member here since June of 2012 and never ran into this older thread. Using "New Posts" this morning I saw your post. I never had a problem with the Netflix app though. It runs great on my 8.1 tower PC and Lumia 1520. Just as most Store apps it's been improved greatly over time. :)

I think I installed the app early in 8. If I remember correctly, when launching it the first time it downloaded and installed Silverlight automatically. Just wondering why it's not the same for others.

May I suggest using Bing, especially within the 8.1 search. It gives better results for Windows/MS world. Google is better for Google world.

Again, welcome back. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling