Need to recover windows 8 from windows 10 Help!

This is what it is asking me for. It needs drivers. Do I get them off hp website?

Attachments

• 20160708_121748.jpg
    20160708_121748.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 45

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Do you get that message when you boot from the USB flash drive? I believe you get that message because you started the recovery from within Windows (holding down the shift key and rebooting). Windows need to format the hard drive to do the recovery, it can not do it if the recovery is started within Windows. That's what i read on the Internet.

We need to try to get the flash drive to work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Okay so my question is when I boot from shift is that the boot method we need or do I need to go into bios? Because when I did push the shift key and it booted into flash drive and I pushed troubleshoot then advanced options and then I pushed System Image Recovery it asked for external drive or disk., I plugged in the external harddrive and it said the same thing as above.

If I push flash drive it will download windows 8 right now because it is booted in flash drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok from your last picture, if you highlight (click on the Toshiba Ext) can you click Next? If not, click on Advanced. I hope you can browse to your Image file. Do you know how to do that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
It did take me into system32 file folder. So yes I sure do. Do you want me to take pictures and show what is inside that file.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
You can not boot from the flash drive holding shift down and rebooting. The computer has to be completely shutdown. To do that you need to hold down the Shift Key and choose Shutdown.

I hope you don't have to mess with to BIOS. There is something called a one time boot menu. On most HP's it is the F9 key. After you completely Shutdown, press the power button to turn it on and immediately press and hold down the F9 key. I just read on some models it is the ESC key first, and then F9. Try the F9 key first and if that doesn't work try ESC key first. If it's the ESC key, a nenu will come up and then hit the F9 key. Remember that each time it doesn't work you have to hold down the shift key and shutdown. Then retry.

The F9 key brings you to the one time boot menu. You have to choose your USB flash drive. Then follow my instructions in post #87.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes this is what I meant in the above statement that I did. You can not boot from the flash drive holding shift down and rebooting. The computer has to be completely shutdown. To do that you need to hold down the Shift Key and choose Shutdown.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'm a little confused, when you clicked on Advanced, and it brought you to the Windows, System32 folder, did you boot from the flash drive?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Let me tell you step by step to help you understand everything. first I shut off computer. When the computer was shut off I placed the flash drive into the usb and turned on the computer and kept my finger on the shift key until it said for me to put in my password. Then I went to pc settings and clicked on updates and Security then I clicked on Recovery on the left side panel which took me to Advanced startup and I clicked the restart now button. It restarted from the flash drive then I went into troubleshooting clicked on advanced then clicked recovery image backup then it asked for me to plug in external hard drive which I did which resulted in the pictures I posted above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I not really sure you started from the flash drive on reboot. But since you got to System Image Recovery a new way we can try to do the recovery. Once you clicked on Advanced, and it took you to Windows, System32, look on the left side of the window. Do you see your Toshiba hard drive? Is so, click on it, does Windows see WindowsImageBackup and can you click the Next button to start the backup?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes it lets me get into the files on my external hard drive on the left side pannel. I clicked on windowsImagebackup however it opens it and it shows the files but it does not let me just click on it to get it into setup it just keeps opening files. Within the 32 folder it just has all these dll files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok, click on the Toshiba drive on the left side. A window will pop up showing you all the files and folders click on your drive. Click on the WindowsImageBackup folder. Don't double click on it. Can you click Next or ok? If that don't work click on your Toshiba drive can you just click Next or OK?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
No it will not let me at all. Here is a picture I get. When I click on the one that says, Install a driver, it wont let me do what you ask me to do. It seems to want a driver.

Attachments

• 20160708_144734.jpg
    20160708_144734.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 41

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Are they the two options you get when you click on Advanced? I don't have a system image backup to tell you exactly what to do. I have to go out tonight but tomorrow I can create one and then try to restore it. Maybe I can help you better after that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Ok well I so appreciate your patients with me and your trying to help me I hope u have a wonderful time tonight.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Thanks,

I made a System Image Backup of my hard drive this morning. Then I booted the computer with the Windows 10 install media (USB flash drive). I went to Advance Options, then System Image Recovery. Look at post #101. You posted a picture of the screen it took me to. All you have to do is click on "TOSHIBA EXT", it turned blue, and I was able to click Next at the bottom of the window. Just click on it once. Don't double click. If it doesn't turn blue the first time, try clicking on it again, but don't double click. Give it a try.

Don't click on the Advanced button. That does nothing for us. The first option is for people who have a network and store their image on it. You would use the second option if your portable hard drive needed a driver for Windows to recognize it. Windows does not need a driver to see you Toshiba drive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes that is what I did originally and it wont work. That is what I tried to do and it would not work it needed drivers ect. That is why I showed the pictures that fallowed because it wanted the drivers. I give up. Thanks so much for trying to work with me. I so appreciate your help.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok, sorry it didn't work out. I still believe you're not booting from the USB. If you were, the first screen you will see is where you pick your language and keyboard layout. If that is not the first screen you see, then your not booting from the USB.

If that is not what you see, and you have some free time on your hands, try using Google to learn how to boot from the USB. Once you learn how, try the System Image Restore again and I think it will work.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Back