Need to recover windows 8 from windows 10 Help!

Ok, sorry to hear that, you have had a run of bad luck lately. Hopefully it will change soon. It's strange that the computer will not power on with the power cable plugged in. It could be the power adapter went bad and not sending any power to the laptop. That would be the reason the battery is dead. Just a guess.

I have found on the internet that the message you received can be caused by booting into Advanced Options from within Windows (holding down the shift key and restarting). What you need to try is booting from Windows install media (the USB or DVD you use to install Windows) and then go into Advanced Options.

I was thinking you probably made that backup image when you were using Windows 8. Is that correct? So you should try to restore the image with Windows 8 install media. I think that would be your best chance of having it work.

I guess none of this matters now that the the laptop is dead. It's strange to have that much trouble with a 3 years old lapto.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
No I said it works with just the power cord plugged in thank God... The battery just crashed for no reason... It was working fine showed no signs of any problems, "Weird." I contacted hp because they put that battery in not even six months ago. Yes I had windows 8 installed originally...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Oh, ok, I must of misunderstood.

If you want to try to restore your Windows Image you can get a copy of Windows 8 install media here. Make the USB or DVD and then boot boot from it. Follow the directions in this guide to get into Advanced Options. Skip down to Method 4.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 or 8

Let me know if there is anything you don't understand. I think this is your best chance at restoring the image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Okay tomorrow I will work on this computer. It has been a crazy few days with having surgery... I tell you I am about to throw this thing. lol I am so frustrated with it. Okay on a different note let me get this straight, are you some how having me clean the whole drive if you are can you please explain how to do that in simple terms.:) You want me to do that before doing a clean install of 8.1 right? I do have my product key written down. Can you kind of tell me in a simple way? Thank so much... Have a good nights rest.;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hope you are feeling better.

Before you do a clean install I would like you to try to restore from the image you made. The image you have on your portable hard drive. To do that, the first thing you need to do is go to this page and make USB flash drive with Windows 8 on it or a DVD. Follow the directions on that page to make either one. If you have any questions just ask.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

After you have it made let me know and we can move on to step 2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Glad to hear you fixed the battery issue. Your getting to be a real pro at this.

Now that you have the Windows 8 USB or DVD you need to boot the computer with it. I believe on the second screen that comes up, you will see "Repair your computer". It will be on the bottom of the screen. Keep an eye out for it. That will take you to Advanced Options. From there go to System Image Recovery, then try to restore your computer with the image on your portable hard drive. Here is a guide on how to get into Advanced Options with your install media. Skip down to Method 4. If you miss Repair Your Computer, just hit cancel to get out of the installation, then just start over.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 or 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I've been thinking about your problem. There is one thing I would like you to do before you start the post above. Open up Device Manager. To do that, right click the Start button and choose Device Manager. Open the window full screen. On the left side you will see a plus (+) sign next to every item. Click on the plus sign next to each item in Device Manager. That will show all your hardware.

Next take a pictures of all the items. You will not be able to fit them all in one picture. Start at the top and take the picture. Next scroll down to the last item on the first picture. I always start the second picture with the last item in the first picture. Continue taking pictures until you have all the items. You may end up with 3, 4, or 5 pictures. I name them Device Manager 1, Device Manager 2, ect. Save all the pictures to your portable hard drive. Hopefully your system image will restore and we will not need these but it's best to have them just in case we do.

Next start the post above #87.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Okay did that.. My question where I get confused is you tell me to use the flash drive then you mention external hard drive. To me it is all confusing. So do I plug in both the flash drive with windows 8.1 and my external harddrive with has system image recover on it at the same time?.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ok here is what I did step by step.. I booted from flash drive then I went into advanced options and clicked Startup repair. It said the fallowing on the picture I attached. I am so not sure if I did this right.

Attachments

• 20160708_112022.jpg
    20160708_112022.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Yes I think it's fine to have them both plugged in at the same time. You need the portable hard drive plugged in to show Windows where the WindowsImageBackup is located.

Boot your comuter from the flash drive, go into Advanced Options, then System Image Backup. Hopefully Windows will automatically find WindowsImageBackup. If it does not, you have to show Windows where it is located.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Okay here is my confusion, when I boot up I do it with the shift key, if I have two things plugged in at the same time wont it chose one or the other? How do I boot? P.S did you see my above post and picture.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Clearly you need to take the PC to a computer repair shop....

Gotta give Trustme major props...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Startup Repair is not right. Did you get to the Advanced Options screen? I believe the first screen is this

imagepng

Next click on Troubleshoot, on the next screen click on Advanced Options, then System Image Recovery

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes I did that it keeps telling me I need to put the recovery disk in.. So what I think I will do is boot and download windows 8 and then try and do the sys:)tem image recovery. What do you think?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'm not sure I follow you. You have to boot from the flash drive because Windows needs to format your hard drive. That's why you were getting that message when you tried holding down the shift key and rebooting.

When it's asking for the recovery disk, does Windows give you the option to browse to your portable hard drive, and then where the WindowsImageBackup is located?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Here is a pic of what advanced options given to me. I clicked in System image Recovery step 1pic step 2 picture it reads external hard drive, I click it step 3 and it shows me the fallow pic. Then I am stuck and can go no further.:cry:

Attachments

• 20160708_115915.jpg
    20160708_115915.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20160708_120805.jpg
    20160708_120805.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20160708_120815.jpg
    20160708_120815.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 51

My Computer

System One