Need to recover windows 8 from windows 10 Help!

You have to boot from the setup media - remove every partition - and allow windows to install to the unallocated space...

If you had done a clean install, you would not have all those extra partitions...

you can also install windows 8.1 (link provided in post 56)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
I did do clean installs four of them just as the instructions told me. Where in the world did I go wrong? Okay thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hey I found the backup file in my external hard drive. I will post pictures I know this is this is the right one... Please have a look at it.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 66

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
That looks like a system image you made with Windows. The WindowsImageBackup is the one to point to when it asks where the image is located. Here are some YouTube videos on how to restore the image you have. Watch a few of them to get fimilar with the process.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=restore windowsimagebackup windows 8&sm=3

You are going to need to know how to boot into Advanced Options. You you know how?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I watched them and tried once it was asking if I wanted to make a recovery before I could go forward when I went to do that with a flash drive it took me to bios I was not sure what to do from there. Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Follow this guide to get into Advanced Options. Right click the Start Button, hold down the shift key, click on Restart. On the first screen click on Troubleshoot, on the second screen click on Advanced Options. On the third screen click on System Image Recovery. Then follow the on screen prompts.

Here is a guide to follow.

Three Ways to Access the Windows 8 or 10 Boot Options Menu

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes I did that and that is when it did everything but then it told me I had to make some recovery. I will try it again and will take a picture to show you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
When I did the above this is what I got after I hit system image recovery, then it shows me my external drive I click on that it shows me to create a disc, When I clocked on creating this disc it would take me back to the first page when I started. Weird. Why can't things go smooth argh!:shock:

Attachments

• 20160703_152605.jpg
    20160703_152605.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160703_152531.jpg
    20160703_152531.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I've been searching the Internet for a solution to your problem. So far I have not come up with a solid answer. One person said he keep trying and eventually it worked. I'll keep searching but I think you should start a new thread with this new problem. Maybe someone will jump in with the answer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I've been thinking about it and there is one thing you can try if your up to it. Since the oem recovery partition is trashed anyway, do a true clean install and then try the System Image Recovery again. Let me know if you want to try or just start a new thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Are you talking about doing a fifth windows 10 clean install? I am willing for sure. But if it did not clear the recovery partition the first time how can we clear it now?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
You have to follow this guide. When you finish step 10, read step 11, skip step 12, and start with step 13, highlight each partition and click on Delete. Delete them all (there should be 8 of them) until you see Unallocated Space. Then click on Next. The rest of the install should be normal.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
OMG!! I so sorry, I gave you the guide for Windows 10. Let me check the Windows 8 guide and get back to you. To be honest I don't think there is much different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I think we should do a clean install of Windows 8. Download a copy here. After you made the flash drive or DVD, and before you start the clean install, I think you should try the Windows Image Backup again using the Windows 8 media. It might make a difference. Here are instructions on how to boot into Advanced Options with the Windows 8 install media. You can skip down to Method 4.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 or 8

If it doesn't work, then follow my instructions in the post above, #76, to start the clean install.

Before you start the clean install, go to your manufacturers website and download the drivers for your wireless card, LAN, (this is what a network cable plugs into), and graphics. Windows might not come with them pre installed. Do you know how to install drivers? Do you have access to another computer if you can not get back on the Internet?

After the clean install and before you install any drivers or programs, try the System Image Backup again with the Windows 8 install media.

If everything fails, and you can not get back on the Internet, just install Windows 10 again.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I am not sure what you means by this statement, I think we should do a clean install of Windows 8. Download a copy here. After you made the flash drive or DVD, and before you start the clean install, I think you should try the Windows Image Backup again using the Windows 8 media. It might make a difference. Here are instructions on how to boot into Advanced Options with the Windows 8 install media. You can skip down to Method 4.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Well have done anything yet and now my computer will not turn on. I have tried pushing the power button and also taking the battery out and then putting it back and hitting the power button sand nothing it is dead. Yikes only three years old and this!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Well that is interesting. The Battery was replaced less then six months ago and now out of no where it is gone. How in the world does that even happen when it was acting fine. Could that be the reason why my computer was not working properly? Interesting. Anyway I contacted HP they need to replace it since they just replaced it before my warranty ran out in April.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back