Need to recover windows 8 from windows 10 Help!

Your welcome, I noticed in your second post at the Diskpart command prompt you typed "list partitions". The command is "list partition". You added an s try it again without the s and then take a picture.

Now remember you have to start from the beginning of my instructions on the post above. Follow them until you exit Diskpart. You did great with the last command I think that is what KYHI wants to see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
recovery agent is using partition 7 for windows 10 WinRE...

Now need to see the other partitions, so we can reset the recovery environment to use the windows 8 recovery partitions

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Okay I go it this time. Yea!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 59

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Partition 1 - should be OEM Recovery
Partition 5 & 6 Unknown origin due to size
Partition 7 is windows 10 Recovery
Partition 8 is OEM Recovery Image

So let us see what is on those partitions

Diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=T
select partition 5
assign letter=M
select partition 6
assign letter=N
select partition 8
assign letter=R

post a pic of file explorer for each newly assigned drive letter ( T, M, N, R )

Also at this point you have now assigned drive letters to hidden partitions...
And if you reboot the PC the drive letters will be removed, so do not reboot the PC at this time..
Otherwise we'll have to re-assign drive letters to reset the recovery environment, back to factory..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
I did all that and my computer went to sleep even though I have it checked to stay awake. Well when it sleeps then I cannot get it to work it wont wake up so I lost it all. Argh! If we are to restore it we need to do it all at the same time. My computer is having issues so I am standing by to take care of this all at once. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I did all that and my computer went to sleep even though I have it checked to stay awake. Well when it sleeps then I cannot get it to work it wont wake up, so I lost it all because I had to reboot it. Argh! If we are to restore it we need to do it all at the same time. My computer is having issues so I am standing by to take care of this all at once. Thanks. Now do I repeat the process again?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Before you repeat the process over, first open File Explorer. On the left side click on ThisPC. How many drives do you see? You should see C, your DVD player, usually D but not always, and the ones you just assigned drive letters to T, M, N, and R. If they show up there in ThisPC, you don't have to assign the drive letter again. Just do the ones that are missing.

Another thing, you don't need to take pictures of the Diskpart screen. KYHI wants to see the files that are on T, M, N and R partitions. To get those pictures, double click on T drive. After the window opens take a picture of the window with all the files in it. Then do the same thing for M, N, and R.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Okay well I did as you instructed what is interesting there is nothing in N and partition 8 wont let me do anything. Here are the pictures of what I have.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 59

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
Looks good. Don't forgot to post a picture of M partition. I don't know what to do about partition 8 (R). I guess just wait and see what KYHI has to say.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
so far T has the OEM windows recovery tools.... Good..

N is an empty partition

M ?????

then try to assign drive letter to partition 8 - this way...

diskpart
list volume
select volume # (# being the volume number assigned to the 20GB partition)
assign letter=R

post a pic of R

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7