Need Help with Services logon - wont start due to being a different setup

Chalkie

I have completely ****up services logons. Resulting in not having any network connections showing or working (Ethernet & WiFi).
Can anyone suggest the correct logon settings ("local service/Network service/System service" settings and a quick/simple way to
get back to correct settings. The problem is made more complicated in that I have no restore file and do not have a group policy editor programme.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Chalkie

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite
    Browser
    Firefox
One major question: Why don't you have a System Restore point (file)? Windows usually installs with that feature turned ON. So who turned it off?
I would NEVER run Windows without the System Restore program turned ON. Just because of problems like you have described.

I suppose you've never backed up your C:\ drive either.

Good Luck,
TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Always.. Backup your data. Once you have done this backup your backup. A full image of your drive kept in cold storage doesn't hurt either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
I have completely ****up services logons. Resulting in not having any network connections showing or working (Ethernet & WiFi).
Can anyone suggest the correct logon settings ("local service/Network service/System service" settings and a quick/simple way to
get back to correct settings. The problem is made more complicated in that I have no restore file and do not have a group policy editor programme.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Chalkie

Chalkie if you have tried everything else and you still can't get your laptop to work here is what you can do: Assuming that your laptop actually runs and simply doesn't let you log in, if you have another PC at your disposal that works correctly, you can turn off your laptop, remove the battery, remove your hard drive and connect it to a functional PC while it is turned off. Then you can use Windows disc manager to access the drive and retrieve all your personal files etc. to a separate drive or USB flash drive. Having done this you will have at least saved your personal files, pictures, etc onto that drive and then you can proceed with the next step. The next step is to shut down the functional PC, remove the nasty drive that you connected to it and pop it back into your lap top. Once you have it all put back together and the battery in you can now boot it up and elect to reset your laptop. Sorry, but I know of no quick and easy way to do this if you can't even get to your Windows boot screen. You might get the option to keep your files or you might just have to opt for factory reset and redo all your updates. There are many youtube videos available to help you reset your Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've owned and operated several of these. I pass them on to family and friends after putting Windows 8 or 10 on them as I love refurbishing old PCs. Once your Windows 8 is restored you can then connect the drive with your personal files that you saved onto your laptop and merely drag and drop them where you like. *one more thing* Make sure your system restore is turned on and functioning. Make a couple of restore points to make sure that it works at some point between updates. (Do not do this while your laptop is updating.) Once you've done all this please make a drive image and a system backup. Laptops tend to get jostled about a lot and stuff happens as a result. It's always good to have an image of your drive on hand to just pop in should something go wrong with your original drive. Microsoft allows you to make one legal copy that you can keep in cold storage. It makes for good insurance. I hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Chalkie if you have tried everything else and you still can't get your laptop to work here is what you can do: Assuming that your laptop actually runs and simply doesn't let you log in, if you have another PC at your disposal that works correctly, you can turn off your laptop, remove the battery, remove your hard drive and connect it to a functional PC while it is turned off. Then you can use Windows disc manager to access the drive and retrieve all your personal files etc. to a separate drive or USB flash drive. Having done this you will have at least saved your personal files, pictures, etc onto that drive and then you can proceed with the next step. The next step is to shut down the functional PC, remove the nasty drive that you connected to it and pop it back into your lap top. Once you have it all put back together and the battery in you can now boot it up and elect to reset your laptop. Sorry, but I know of no quick and easy way to do this if you can't even get to your Windows boot screen. You might get the option to keep your files or you might just have to opt for factory reset and redo all your updates. There are many youtube videos available to help you reset your Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've owned and operated several of these. I pass them on to family and friends after putting Windows 8 or 10 on them as I love refurbishing old PCs. Once your Windows 8 is restored you can then connect the drive with your personal files that you saved onto your laptop and merely drag and drop them where you like. *one more thing* Make sure your system restore is turned on and functioning. Make a couple of restore points to make sure that it works at some point between updates. (Do not do this while your laptop is updating.) Once you've done all this please make a drive image and a system backup. Laptops tend to get jostled about a lot and stuff happens as a result. It's always good to have an image of your drive on hand to just pop in should something go wrong with your original drive. Microsoft allows you to make one legal copy that you can keep in cold storage. It makes for good insurance. I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your detailed help. I should be able to achieve your procedure if necessary. Perhaps I didn't explain myself fully. My problem is in regard to services and particularly permissions. I have no problem getting laptop to boot. O have the problem to getting Audio/wifie to work. De to a corrupted registry seetings and I thought perhaps a retore might do the job. Then I found I didn't have backup files. Any thoughts on using your plan just to copy the registry/services settings from a spare laptiop? Also what are your thoughts on upgrading from my 8.1 to 10. Would this help and future restore options presently not available.
Scannerman thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite
    Browser
    Firefox
I confess that as an afterthought I wondered if you could get into your o/s and that your only problem was connecting to your network. Perhaps some here are shying away from this as it looks as though you might be referring to a company network and that's sort of verboten for security reasons. Have you tried typing into your search in your menu for "windows services" and see if you can reactivate your System Restore from that? If this is not a company network laptop we are discussing then you could likely afford to lose your old (and likely non-existent) networking connections with a refresh. I'm not trying to sound derogatory but I may need to ask more than obvious questions if you want to make your old windows 8 to still work. Otherwise, I would highly recommend (if possible) to upgrade to Windows 10 as it can free up a good deal of functionality on your laptop and will extend the life of that laptop as well. There are, however, a few caveats. If your webcam still works on your laptop understand that it won't anymore when you upgrade to Windows 10 and as far as I know Toshiba has no fix for this. This has happened to every Toshiba Satellite I've upgraded to Windows 10. The only workaround I know of is an external web cam. Have you tried refreshing your connection settings from Control Panel? I apologise in advance if you've already done these things. I'm just trying to get on the same page with you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
Hi Scannerman. Perfect help and again many thanks for your time trouble and insights. I did have a spare computer which enabled me to safely moveessential files over, and then successfully reinstall windows to original settings. AND have made a backup disk as recommended. Given that Microsoft are still supporting W8.1 I will stay with this for a bit longer. Best regards Chalkie

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite
    Browser
    Firefox
Glad to learn that it all worked out for you, Chalkie. Always a pleasure to help. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
I'm pleased and almost amazed, to hear anyone suggesting the use of Backups to preclude disasters.
We usually just hear about the disasters, because a user was too #^$&* or lazy to backup their system.
I've been setting up backup routines for legal offices, municipal offices and even Banks, since DOS days.
Under ideal conditions a complete C: drive backup may never be needed, but on just the one time that it is, there is just NO Replacement.

If done properly, a backup costs nothing, but a little time. I'll start a backup or 'CLONE' in the evening and let it run while I'm watching one of my favorite TV programs.
Backing up a well maintained HD should not take all day, as so many people have reported.

I've been doing PC Tune-Ups for four decades, and I'm usually horrified to see how many garbage files that people just let build up on their PC.
Like, 12k of old emails in an Inbox, or 24k tracking cookies left on a HD. Etc, Etc, Etc. It's nothing for me to remove over 100,000 junk files from a HD during a Tune-Up.

For all my customers who do backups, I try to train them on how to clean up their HD before doing a Backup. I have even provided them with the needed Cleanup programs.
A DOS Batch file, properly written can do a pretty darn good job of cleaning up most PC's. And for the unbelievers, YES, every version of Windows WILL run DOS Batch Files.
I have a cleanup program that I'm pretty sure was originally written as a DOS Batch File, and then was Compiled into an .exe program file. (TempClean.exe) It works GREAT.
And, it runs every day on my PC, because I have it in my Startup Folder. I've given it to many of my friends and customers and they all love it.*
The only problem is that once a batch file has been compiled, it cannot just be edited to make changes, like a Batch File can.
* A Clean PC is a more efficient PC.

I'm sorry that this post ran so long.
Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
:cool: Take me to your leader

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
I first really began appreciating the gravity of having backups in 2004. Before that I knew they were important and occasionally used System Restore to squeeze out of a few tight spots, but I began to appreciate it more fully back when I was an MS+ for Microsoft Gaming Zone. So many would come to me after reformatting and wondering why their game wouldn't work right or why they lost their account or why they didn't have their data. It was alarming. Microsoft actually had some good courses back then and they were free for all MS+ Community volunteers. That most or nearly all of these problems could have been circumvented with a simple backup is practically an understatement.

Oh, those were the days. I thought I knew about Microsoft o/s back in 99 after familiarizing myself with Win 95 and 98. (I came to Microsoft with experience with Tandy and Commodore. (And not much of that either, to say the least.) The first Windows based PC I actually owned outright was a Sony VAIO sporting the MISTAKE EDITION on a Pentium Processor and a "huge" 80 GB hard drive with 256 MB of RAM. That was some operating system to learn on. So yeah. I've seen enough over the years to know for a fact that backups are NOT optional. In fact, it never hurts (at the price of a cheap SSD) to generate a cloned copy of the o/s on that PC and tuck it away in a safe place for an emergency, just in case System Restore fails, or the backup fails. It's the best way to back up your backup IMO :::GRINS::: Ha! The irony as I type this on Linux doesn't escape me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
I first really began appreciating the gravity of having backups in 2004. Before that I knew they were important and occasionally used System Restore to squeeze out of a few tight spots, but I began to appreciate it more fully back when I was an MS+ for Microsoft Gaming Zone. So many would come to me after reformatting and wondering why their game wouldn't work right or why they lost their account or why they didn't have their data. It was alarming. Microsoft actually had some good courses back then and they were free for all MS+ Community volunteers. That most or nearly all of these problems could have been circumvented with a simple backup is practically an understatement.

Oh, those were the days. I thought I knew about Microsoft o/s back in 99 after familiarizing myself with Win 95 and 98. (I came to Microsoft with experience with Tandy and Commodore. (And not much of that either, to say the least.) The first Windows based PC I actually owned outright was a Sony VAIO sporting the MISTAKE EDITION on a Pentium Processor and a "huge" 80 GB hard drive with 256 MB of RAM. That was some operating system to learn on. So yeah. I've seen enough over the years to know for a fact that backups are NOT optional. In fact, it never hurts (at the price of a cheap SSD) to generate a cloned copy of the o/s on that PC and tuck it away in a safe place for an emergency, just in case System Restore fails, or the backup fails. It's the best way to back up your backup IMO :::GRINS::: Ha! The irony as I type this on Linux doesn't escape me.
* OH. This one should be marked as *solved* I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
Back