Moving pre-installed Windows 8 from HDD to SSD

I am at the start of a similar problem: I just bought a new HP Envy H8-1409. This computer has a fast CPU, Bus, memory and video card, but a slow HDD. I would like to replace the HDD with an SSD. This is without the support of the OEM, who refuse to provide the licence key or any other assistance in resolving this issue.
So I would appreciate input on which of the following, or perhaps another alternative has the best chance of success:

1) Pull the HDD install the SSD, boot with the repair disc, and restore the system image I made earlier according to the OEM's instructions for this PC on their website.

2) Use the cloning software provided by the SSD manufacturer to clone the HDD contents onto the SSD (Kingston 240GB)

3) Get hold of a legal copy of W8, install and format the SSD (Could be $40 to $120 Cdn)

4) Return the new PC to the store, hand build a new PC with W7 instead.

Help appreciated!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP H8-1409
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    10GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
To see the 'hidden' license key use Belarc advisor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
    Asus NV56VZ laptop & Asus P8P67 i7 rig@ 4.5GHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Quadro 3800
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell IPS 22"
    Hard Drives
    Desktop: OCZ 120 Gb SSD + 5 x 1Tb RAID 5
To see the 'hidden' license key use Belarc advisor.

No need for key finder.

As any legal Windows 8 core/Pro DVD will pick up the key in the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I didnt need the key theogg, although it was good to be able to make a note of it. Was that due to win 8 BIOS/UEFI handling it or did it clone the original disk serial when i moved the OS to my SSD? Be good to know that too :)

PS I just cloned my main editing PC's OCZ Agility 3 SSD to a new Samsung 840 Pro and the benchmarks have doubled. Speed was well down on the OCZ after 18 months use but I think the TRIM command is getting through. This took half an hour with the Paragon software you recommended. 30 mins!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
    Asus NV56VZ laptop & Asus P8P67 i7 rig@ 4.5GHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Quadro 3800
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell IPS 22"
    Hard Drives
    Desktop: OCZ 120 Gb SSD + 5 x 1Tb RAID 5
In your case, it was the clone.

Yes,Paragon has some good software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Epoch / or any other forumers who have Lenovo (Windows 8),
Good day,

I saw the thread that you managed to clone from the HDD to SSD using Paragon software and at the same time, the OKR8.0 managed to work on the SSD.

Moving pre-installed Windows 8 from HDD to SSD - Page 8 - Mozilla Firefox_2013-01-18_17-55-57.png
My case does not turn out to be so fortunate. OKR 8.0 was broken after cloning was done.

My Y580 comes pre-installed with Windows 8. The stock lenovo HDD is about 500GB whilst the SSD is 120GB. I clone the HDD (500GB) to SSD (120GB) using Paragon and Paragon automatically changes the size of the partition in the SSD. I do not know if this resulted in the OKR 8.0 to breakdown since OKR is sensitive to any changes in partition size. I am just wondering how do you make it? Do i miss out any steps when configuring the cloning process???

Solved How to Migrate OS to new Hard disk. - Mozilla Firefox_2013-01-18_18-03-18.png

What options do you choose for this?? Do you maintain a one to one ratio when cloning from the stock Lenovo HDD to SSD??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Wind 7 Home Premium 64 Bits/ Win 8 64 Bits
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y580
    Other Info
    Be kind...complete newbie here...
I used the cloning software that was provided with my Kingston SSD. When it came to the point where the PC was supposed to boot up with the DVD in the drive, even after selecting the DVD drive in the boot order, al I got was a black screen and a non-flashing hyphen part way down the screen. As I was under a time constraint to get the system working, I went out and bought a retail copy of W8, did a fresh install on the SSD and it all worked from there. I now have my own, unencrypted, completely legal, W8 SSD, and the system is working well so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP H8-1409
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    10GB
I used the cloning software that was provided with my Kingston SSD. When it came to the point where the PC was supposed to boot up with the DVD in the drive, even after selecting the DVD drive in the boot order, al I got was a black screen and a non-flashing hyphen part way down the screen.

You were using unsigned software.

I would look for a 3rd party Partitioning,Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.
Which is signed by Microsoft.

The only 3rd party software that I know of, that fully supports Windows 8 is PARAGON 12 & is signed by Microsoft .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Makes sense, thank you. I checked the Kingston SW specs and I saw it mentioned W7 but not W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP H8-1409
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    10GB
Hello, in conclusion, I ended up buying the retail license @~Cn$120 as I ran out of time to get up and running.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP H8-1409
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    10GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi,
> As the licence key coded in to the uEFI/BIOS firmware, how is that refusing to provide the licence key?
I spoke to HP Support on email, then on a phone call, then in a call from a Case Manager. All 3 refused to either tell me what the license key number was on my pc or how I could obtain my license key.

> Did you try option 5?
No, because after the HP Case Manager I spoke to, told me that the only way I could get a new HDD installed would be to purchase a retail license, I spoke to some pc installers at my work who claimed that MS has in fact had that clause in every license agreement since XP, only now they have found a way to enforce it. My workplace is really tough on people that they feel violate licensing agreements on any equipment related to them, and as I use this PC to remote in to my desktop on a continual basis, I ran out of time to do the further investigation required to figure out the legality beyond reasonable doubt.
I'm kind of wishing I had never spoken to those people and just worked through your solution, but c'est la vie.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP H8-1409
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    10GB
For test.
Just cloned my test rig with uEFI, GPT, Secure Boot setup, using Paragon Backup & Recovery 12, no problems.
Booted first time.

View attachment 14029

Paragon 12 has full support Windows 8 uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.

PARAGON Software Group - partition manager, drive backup, hard disk partitioning

THEOG! IT WORKED!

So I know you posted this awhile ago, but I hadn't tried it because I could only find the paid version. After you posted this link I found the free trial version. I installed the program, went to Disk Migration, automated everything, took out the HDD, put in the SSD, and it boot in less than 5 seconds, perfectly.

Wow! There is a solution.

So now what do I need to do to ensure the proper utilization of my SSD? People have talked about "alignment" and other nouns that don't mean anything to me in the computer sense. I will probably install my Samsung Magician software to see what it can do (that came with my SSD).

Hi, curious how you connected your SSD to your computer? I'm trying to do the same as you but can't get my SSD connected through USB

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus UX32VD
    CPU
    I7
Hi, curious how you connected your SSD to your computer? I'm trying to do the same as you but can't get my SSD connected through USB
That's simple. Get an enclosure (disk caddy) and attach it to a USB port. USB3 would be preferable. I also use eSata for certain things (does not work with VMware Player).

Open docking stations like this one are the most versatile. They come in all attachment options.

Thermaltake BlacX Duet (ST0014U) Black External Enclosure - Newegg.com

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
That's simple. Get an enclosure (disk caddy) and attach it to a USB port. USB3 would be preferable. I also use eSata for certain things (does not work with VMware Player).

Open docking stations like this one are the most versatile. They come in all attachment options.

Thermaltake BlacX Duet (ST0014U) Black External Enclosure - Newegg.com

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/22835-how-get-windows-8-onto-new-ssd-2.html

theog said:
I would have thought it would.

There is a yellow exclamation mark on my computer:

USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller

says this device driver could not be loaded, and in trying to update it says it is up to date.

Try updating the drivers.

Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver — USB 3.0 devices are not working at USB 3.0 speed in Windows 8*

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Theog,
Please refer to my printscreen as shown below.
2013-05-24 20_33_28-Greenshot.png

As you can see, the D Drive has the system folders in there (in one of the partitions of 20GB). One of it is the infamous OKR (One Key Recovery) which may break if Paragon software meddle with the partition size/ logic.

My question is ~ i am planning to change my D Drive to a WD Black (a faster, meaner HDD). Both the D Drive and this WD Black has got the same 500GB capacity. However, i am just afraid that when using Paragon to clone everything from D Drive to this WD Black, Paragon may caused this OKR to break (despite both drives should be the same size being 500GB). Theoretically, since both drives are at 500GB, hence all Paragon has to do is to clone 1 to 1 and there is no need to change the partition size.

Hence, can you help to advice whether this will happen or not? Whether Paragon may break the partition size causing OKR to fail to work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y580
    Other Info
Hi Theog,
Please refer to my printscreen as shown below.
View attachment 22216

As you can see, the D Drive has the system folders in there (in one of the partitions of 20GB). One of it is the infamous OKR (One Key Recovery) which may break if Paragon software meddle with the partition size/ logic.

My question is ~ i am planning to change my D Drive to a WD Black (a faster, meaner HDD). Both the D Drive and this WD Black has got the same 500GB capacity. However, i am just afraid that when using Paragon to clone everything from D Drive to this WD Black, Paragon may caused this OKR to break (despite both drives should be the same size being 500GB). Theoretically, since both drives are at 500GB, hence all Paragon has to do is to clone 1 to 1 and there is no need to change the partition size.

Hence, can you help to advice whether this will happen or not? Whether Paragon may break the partition size causing OKR to fail to work?

Paragon should be OK.

BUT
Quote from the bottom of your screenshot.

We recommend closing all other other applications while running EaseUS Partition Master.

We have had alot of OP's that have used EaseUS Partition Master, than need to reinstall OEM Windows 8 after use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Thanks for the heads up.

Well, i only used the EaseUS Partition Master to view the partition sizes and NOT to resize the partitions. In fact, i do not actually save anything before exiting the program. Would there be any adverse impact from doing this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y580
    Other Info
Thanks for the heads up.

Well, i only used the EaseUS Partition Master to view the partition sizes and NOT to resize the partitions. In fact, i do not actually save anything before exiting the program. Would there be any adverse impact from doing this?

Hopefully no.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back