Missing files?

Anime2019master

I had a Hard drive about to fail, so I removed it an manually connected it to a second pc, copied all my files to it and cleaned and formatted a new drive I had laying around. I put the new drive in my original pc, installed Windows, and aside from being a bit buggy for not installing the drivers yet, no issues at this point. I removed the drive again, and reconnected it to my old laptop, and copied all my personal files back to the drive now that it has Windows on it. I put all my files in individual folder so I would know where to sort them once I put the drive back in the main pc. I put them in users/public/downloads and from there created folders named desktop, documents, pictures, videos, and downloads, and sorted my personal files accordingly. That done, I reinstalled my new drive back in the main pc, booted Windows, and here's where my issue began. I navigated to where my files should be, but nothing. The folders I created in public/download are there, but they are all empty. Over 200gigs of stuff vanished in a puff of smoke. More confusingly, the c drive in this oc is shoulding the space is used. I ran a file recovery program, and i was able to detect the files, but the dang program only allows 1 gig to be restored. More than that would be 70 bucks a month. Thats straight robbery. Whats confusing is if they are deleted, why is the space still used? I already have show hidden folders on, so they aren't just hidden. Please help, this represents like 10+ years of my life. Much of the files are irreplaceable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hi 255 g4
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    8 gigs
I did consider this, and have already gave myself ownership of the entire public folder. this didn't solve my issue sadly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hi 255 g4
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    8 gigs
heres a pic if this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    93.8 KB · Views: 70

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hi 255 g4
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    8 gigs
You say you created these sub-folders in Public while the drive was attached to another machine. You may need to check the ownership and permissions of each one, the original owner will be an 'unknown account' on this machine. When setting permissions on each of these sub-folders, tick the box to 'Replace child object permission entries...'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
I did try plugging the drive back to the old pc I copied them from, they weren't there on that on either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hi 255 g4
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    8 gigs
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
$70, is that all? You gain a program that you can use "forever" -- and you just get everything back in usable form.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
I am truly sorry if you are unable to retrieve your files. I must ask, though, how can you store 10+ years of your life and irreplaceable files in only one place? Hardware fails, that is undeniable and mistakes can be made. If you get your files back, set up a backup scheme that will make any future failure or misstep just an annoyance not a catastrophe. JMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center, Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom System
    CPU
    INTEL Xeon E5-2670 LGA 2011
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA X79 UD5 v1.0 F13s
    Memory
    64GB (8 X 8 GB) G-Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 Quad Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 1060 SC 3 GB