Minecraft creator tells Microsoft to 'stop trying to ruin the PC'

The creator of the popular game Minecraft, Markus Persson, took to Twitter on Thursday to slam Microsoft over Windows 8. Persson's critique is the latest to emerge from the gaming world, which is bad news for Microsoft, as the company seeks the support of software developers to ensure Windows 8's success. With less than one month to go until the operating system's release, the stakes are high.

Source

A Guy

I like Windows 8, and I understand that WINE is a pain in the behind to configure, but I wasn't saying that I'd switch to Linux to run the PC games. I was stating that if the game companies stopped making games for PC, then people wouldn't have a choice but to change to whatever OS the game companies chose to make te game for. I'm not making a slam on Win 8, just simply stating that it wouldn't be good on Microsoft if the gaming companies changed their target OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 SP1 + Linux Mint KDE x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD A8-3850 APU
    Motherboard
    ECS A75F-M2
    Memory
    10 GB (8GB Kingston + 2GB Kingston) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD HD 6550D (APU)
    Sound Card
    "High Definition Audio Device"
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DELL E171FPb
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB
    PSU
    120W
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    1 CPU fan, 2 HDD (front) fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M305
    Internet Speed
    down: 12.92mbps up:3.86 mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast!
I can't wait for Valve to release their games for Ubuntu. Better frame rates, here I come!

Other than that, I don't think some indie game creator is very relevant at all. Minecraft is not an AAA title, and it won't last anyway.

Everyone knows why the majority of people use Windows as their OS - MS Office and AAA titles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    DX58SO
    Memory
    Kingston 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX580 Phantom
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG D2342P-PN
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB - eSATA
    PSU
    Corsair 850W
    Keyboard
    Razer Anansi
    Mouse
    Razer Naga Epic
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps/50Mbps
Apart from the usual whine that the UI is not suited for mouse/keyboard (not true) and Windows Store requirements, I've yet to hear anything substantial. And I would bloody love to, because I want to make up my mind basing on facts, not bottomless pit of uninformed whine.

Fact? It's 100% subjective. The only fact here is that 8 doesn't suit me. What is it with you people who are obsessed with being right about whether 8 is good? Totally boggles my mind. I don't use 8. Why? Because I used 8.

As much as I like 7, I'd love to move forward and get something else. Problem is, that "something else" needs to be specific, and the specifics of 8, like I said, don't suit me<------------see this?

The reasons why people don't like 8 are all over the place and they've been there all year. You're in that group that refuses to acknowledge these reasons. I know why you like 8. I don't slap a MSFanboi sticker on your forehead. I'm glad you like it.

What I find funny is that you wrote this a few days ago:

Thing is, you can't either "love" or "hate" an OS. It goes into the dangerous territory of people "loving" their Macs. Which creeps me out.

At home I've always had PCs but at work and school I've been on Macs 100% since the day they were born and you, my friend, out-Mac a lot of Mac people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Fact? It's 100% subjective. The only fact here is that 8 doesn't suit me. What is it with you people who are obsessed with being right about whether 8 is good? Totally boggles my mind. I don't use 8. Why? Because I used 8.

OS's are not art - they can be judged by their features, their support, their business environment. So far, uninformed "I don't like it therefore it's bad" whine is for some reason prevalent.

And I never said anything about Windows 8 being best so OMG YOU MUST LOVE IT, so way to go with the strawman. I only expect that when someone participates in a discussion on anything really, to put forward some kind of argument which can be either debated, agreed with or refuted. Because we can rant on an internet forum all we want, but when someone like Notch or Newell makes a statement, they can really influence people's opinions. It's that there's a certain responsibility attached to the authority.

The reasons why people don't like 8 are all over the place and they've been there all year. You're in that group that refuses to acknowledge these reasons. I know why you like 8. I don't slap a MSFanboi sticker on your forehead. I'm glad you like it.

Again, not the point I was making, so start reading and stop dispensing strawmen. Contribute something relevant to the topic or just keep silent. And my personal opinion of W8 is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 RP
I like Windows 8, and I understand that WINE is a pain in the behind to configure, but I wasn't saying that I'd switch to Linux to run the PC games. I was stating that if the game companies stopped making games for PC, then people wouldn't have a choice but to change to whatever OS the game companies chose to make te game for. I'm not making a slam on Win 8, just simply stating that it wouldn't be good on Microsoft if the gaming companies changed their target OS.

Alright, fair enough. Thing is, with the way personal computer (no consoles) market is divided right now (MS has pretty much monopolized the place) it is not going to change in short term. Fearmongering and suggesting that W8 will somehow kill the PC gaming market (for reasons unknown to me) is just silly.

I've heard that little gem a couple of times - microsoft is closing it's platform and all the apps will require certification and it will kill games. Barring the fact that you still can install a game and run it without turning it into an app is less sillier than the fact that both Microsoft and Sony require certification for any title released for XBOX and PS3. And for some reason the console gaming market is thriving, so I guess it's not such a big business killer after all

Certification in itself is not such a bad thing overally if done right. With an open platform you can release and sell pretty much everything in any state you want, leading to some horridly broken releases and pissed off people. If publishers wouldn't be able to rush releases, then maybe we would be seeing less crap in the PC market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 RP
Toyla - you have (as I type this) 8 posts on this site and haven't been here longer than a month. We've been arguing the merits and detriments of 8 since February, and speculated about it before that. Many have argued against 8 a lot more than I have, and the reason I don't, and because you don't see it as much from others who've been here a while, is because:

1.) After the initial criticism run, it's beating a dead horse.
2.) People like you can never be convinced of our arguments because you have a superiority complex that's off the charts.
3.) That's it.

You're part of a group who is obsessed with people who don't like 8. Not every 8 lover is like this, but there are enough to notice - it's bizarre. You people are really bizarre.

You miss the point about the gaming issue.
You miss the point about why some people can't stand the mouse/desktop and Metro.
You miss the point about why some people can't stand the overall design of 8.

And yet here you are, thinking you know more than everyone else bringing these arguments, when you really know less, and set up straw men:

*an OS isn't art...
*The poster above clearly has no idea what he is talking about...
*(and I especially love this one) so start reading and stop dispensing strawmen...

Let me let you in on a little secret - what you've been typing away here really isn't profound thought. Actually, let me add one more little secret - I'm not using straw men, you are. Might want to consult the logic books again.

If the arguments against 8 weren't substantive and detailed - if they were actually as lame as you imagine - you wouldn't be seeing the pushback. These arguments have been out there for months. You ignore them them. Until you drop the eccentric stubbornness and insults and EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T THINK LIKE ME IS AN IDIOT! you're never gonna grasp them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
What we need to make clear here is that there is no certifying of games in Windows 8 in general, it only applies to Windows 8 Apps sold through the store. Microsoft contacted Persson offering to help certify his Minecraft game as a Metro Game, just like they did for the Minecraft Xbox 360 Game and he pushed back with this nonsense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Back