Microsoft pushing Windows 10 upgrade AGAIN??

cytherian

When Microsoft made its major push in the marketplace to get everyone to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I declined. I didn't want it. I'd seen a few people run into problems. I do not want to destabilize my system. Everything was running fine.

But Microsoft was relentless. About 3 different "recommended" updates were deployed as part of the software push to get users to upgrade. You had to figure out which ones were part of the "Windows 10 subversive install", uninstall them, then when Windows wanted to give them to you again, you'd have to hide the updates.

I went through all of that. TWICE. Yes, twice, because somewhere along the lines Microsoft figured out what people were doing and pulled them out of hiding. I had to do it again.

Well... surprise, surprise, surprise... those updates are not back, but now I'm seeing "Upgrade to Windows 10" AGAIN!!! :mad:

I'm going out of my mind. I DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10! They have 13 FAQ entries, NONE of them say "What if I don't want Windows 10"? This is completely UNACCEPTABLE. Microsoft is being asinine about this Windows 10 upgrade push.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this new upgrade push? What are the update installs that are in the system forcing this again? Please... please post if you do. Thank you. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
I did that, and the recommended offering to upgrade to Windows 10 was removed. However, 3 weeks later it appeared again. It seems that Microsoft is aware of this workaround and in one of the updates to the registry, they remove it. I added it back again.

Microsoft has an FAQ on upgrading to Windows 10 and addresses a wide range of questions, including how to roll back to a previous version. But absolutely NOTHING about declining the upgrade. "What if I'm not ready for Windows 10?" Microsoft does nothing in their interfaces to clearly allow a computer owner to indicate they do not want the upgrade. So we have to do these backdoor fixes... it's just ridiculous.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
Another way is to uninstall the update KB3035583, which is responsible for the notifying and downloading of W10, and hide it (also worth uninstalling KB2976978, too). To ensure it doesn't get offered again and reinstalled, you should either untick the option in Windows Update to treat recommended updates the same as important ones if you plan to continue having important updates installed automatically, or in the important section's drop-down box select the option to only notify about updates, thereby stopping its automatic installation. If you do the latter, ensure that you check Windows Update often for any security updates to keep your machine remains secure (it's worth checking up on the recommended updates, too). Also, if you still have the update that's called something like Upgrade to Windows 10 update, which appears when Windows 10's installation files are already downloaded due to KB3035583 being installed, then uninstall and hide that, too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I also had KB3035583 offered again today (3rd time), even though I keep hiding that update, in the end when into Group Policy Editor and turned the offer off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home build
    CPU
    i5-3550
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H
    Memory
    8gb Gskill 1600 9-9-9-24 xmp
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 760 OC
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ GL2760H 27inch hdmi; LG Flatron E2351 23inch dvi
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung Evo 850 120GB
    1x 4TB WD HDD
    1x 4TB Seagate HDD
    1x 3TB WD HDD
    1x 2TB Seagate HDD
    1x 2TB Seagate External HDD
    1x 1TB Seagate External HDD
    PSU
    Coolermaster V750
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF Advanced
    Cooling
    Standard
    Keyboard
    Logitech K120
    Mouse
    Razor Abyssus USB
    Internet Speed
    Broadband
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast Premier & Malwarebytes
They've been harmless for me so far, I install them manually. The group policy option works.

I also have my update settings set to check but let me download,

2015-11-17_18h09_58.png

Also uncheck the recommended option.

My WINDOWS.~BT folder recently changed from hidden too,

2015-12-15_18h53_48.png

Little easier to keep an eye on, it was 80MB it's down to 50MB now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I5-2500K @3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P67 Extreme4
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (4x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce 750 Ti SC 2GB
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    auria eq2367
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    1TB WD Blue
    1TB Hitachi
    PSU
    SeaSonic X 650W 80 Plus Gold
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D
    Cooling
    Corsair H60, Three 140mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard K520
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Mouse M310
    Internet Speed
    Wave Broadband ~ 100 dn 5 up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
    Other Info
    Laptop specs: HP g7-1365dx /
    CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics /
    RAM: Crucial 8Gb (2x4Gb) /
    SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device/ FW 000F /
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6520G /
Another way is to uninstall the update KB3035583, which is responsible for the notifying and downloading of W10, and hide it (also worth uninstalling KB2976978, too). To ensure it doesn't get offered again and reinstalled, you should either untick the option in Windows Update to treat recommended updates the same as important ones if you plan to continue having important updates installed automatically, or in the important section's drop-down box select the option to only notify about updates, thereby stopping its automatic installation. If you do the latter, ensure that you check Windows Update often for any security updates to keep your machine remains secure (it's worth checking up on the recommended updates, too). Also, if you still have the update that's called something like Upgrade to Windows 10 update, which appears when Windows 10's installation files are already downloaded due to KB3035583 being installed, then uninstall and hide that, too.
Yep, that was it... found KB2976978 had crept back into my update list, DESPITE having uninstalled and HIDDEN it previous. Devious Microsoft revoked the hide somehow.

Wish I could do the Group Policy reconfiguration, but this won't work on Windows 8.1 Home edition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
Microsoft did it again! Can't believe it... And a family member fell into the trap. Suddenly she's got Windows 10, even though she wanted to stay with 8.1. Talk about feeling like you're dealing with Big Brother.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    RADEON
This won't work for those who've already been tricked into the upgrade, but for those still worrying about the issue, it might be worth installing Steve Gibson's Never 10, which will stop the upgrade to Windows 10 from either Win7 or Win8.1. It's just an executable that changes registry settings and, if necessary, deletes the downloaded Windows 10 installer. You just run it, then select to disable OS upgrades, then if you want you can delete it if afterwards because it doesn't install itself (might be worth keeping, as you might change your mind and want Windows 10, which it can do).

This is a very simple and user-friendly tool to use, which might be helpful for those who don't want to tinker with the Registry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Here is what Microsoft, Never10, GWX Control and members of this forum all do to block the Automatic Windows 10 Upgrade (No Need for a fancy Interface or a 3rd Party .exe) Because all they do is edit the registry...

They edit 2 Registry Keys...

Save as Never10.reg - then just double click .reg file to apply..
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Sure, as I have done. But there are people, rightly or wrongly, who feel intimidated by directly editing the Registry, so an executable that simply is a one-click operation to make the changes, as well as the fact that it doesn't need to be installed to run, is good for their needs.

Still, yeah, making and running a .reg file as you've shown will do the same thing, and a little editing will give you a .reg file that'll do the opposite if you so wish. Plus they learn something. But viva la choice and all that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
a little editing will give you a .reg file that'll do the opposite if you so wish. Plus they learn something

Save as Allow10.reg - then just double click .reg file to apply..
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGwx"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=-

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Do a clean install with express settings and watch the fun. You'll be asked to upgrade before you can even log in for the first time. Before you get the chance to do any of the above. :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard