Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 refuses to install

inspiredron

I have just cloned my W8 Enterprise OS from an HDD to a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD. It is recommended that I install Samsung Magician to help maintain the SSD. Magician requires the presence of .NET 4.6 to run. I have tried multiple times to install 4.6 (I currently have .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed). On my very first attempt I received an error message (which I did not record) that the installation had terminated in failure. I rebooted the PC and tried again and am now receiving a consistent but different and apparently totally illogical error.

During the installation I receive a progress indicator "Rolling back 4.6". Shortly afterwards I receive a failure notification with the mesage that I need to re-boot to complete the Rolling back and a link to the log file (see attachment). I duly exit the installation, restart the PC and re-initiate the installation. When I restart the PC the Power option given is "Update and Restart"

During the next installation I receive a progress indicator "Rolling back 4.6". Shortly afterwards I receive a failure notification with the mesage that I need to re-boot to complete the Rolling back and a link to the log file (see attachment). I duly exit the installation, restart the PC and re-initiate the installation.

And so on ...... presumably ad infinitum! :-(

How do I get out of this apparently infinite loop and install .NET Framework 4.6

Attachments

• Net 4.6 error1.pdf
    335 KB · Views: 146

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    12Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
Problem is now fully resolved - thanks to an additional error regarding the fact that Windows search ahd also failed - which I did not immediately notice.
It appears that a critical system file folder - c:\windows\system32\config\TxR - had not been cloned as part of the Migration to the Samsung SSD. I presume that it was in use. I crated the folder manually, gave System ownership, and then re-booted. This re-enabled Windows Search and also re-enabled Windows Update which had also failed. As the construcytion of th efile had repaired two apparently unrelated errors I re-tried installing .Net 4.6 which installed without error.
Job done - thanks to finding a possible cure for Outlook search on Office Technet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    12Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
How did cloning miss that folder? I thought cloning was sector by sector, or, did you make a backup image instead? I want to learn more about this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
I can only assume that, as a particular system folder, it was locked and the cloning process passed over it. However - I would have expected a warning message. I had no reason to inspect the log, if any, since there was no indication of a problem.
BTW - sory for awful typos in previous post - I hope it was understandable!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    12Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
You cloned from within Windows? Cool!

"Cool? DEFINITELY NOT!" -- I totally failed to read and remember: the clone from within Windows was incomplete.
Re-reading this thread convinced me to totally agree with you -- within Windows cloning definitely not cool!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
Cool? DEFINITELY NOT!
I used the Samsung Migration Tool that is suggested in the instructions that come with their 860EVO SSD.
It did NOT close Windows and in retrospect that is a massive mistake as has become apparent. If I had thought rationally about it I would have remembered that any disc cloning/manipulation software will ALWAYS close windows and operate as a batch file if it is doing anything involving the C drive.
I think that I might have expected Samsung to know better - even if i failed to twig the issue. It does make me wonder if theer are any other system files or folders that were not cloned. Their crummy software caused me to lose HOURS of time trying to solve the issues that the absence of that system folder created.
I have not yet found a suitable avenue to post feed back, other than on Ebuyer and Amazon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    12Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
Oh BROTHER! I have now found a communication channel to Samsung with a Contact Form. The box is too small to describe the problem so I have put it into a docx or a pdf attachment - which is not accepted. A shorter message with a request for conact refuses to send with an error "Tried to send data without session" even though it will recognise and refuse an incorrect Capcha. Why should I bother if Samsung makes lfe so difficult!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    12Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
Samsung is making their contact form very difficult! Were you able to finally get through since January 5th?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
It appears that the only way is to phone them. I have even tried to complete a shorter contact form which simply says that there is an issue, that I cannot report it and why - so please contact me. That won't send either! They don't want contact!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    i7 9200
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe