Microsoft Kills Update 2 and Patch Tuesday

Microsoft has at last revealed the date when its second major update to Windows 8.1 will ship to customers: never.

Despite months of speculation that the software giant has been planning to push out another major update roll-up for its latest OS this year, much like it did with the oddly named Windows 8.1 Update in April, Redmond mouthpiece Brandon LeBlanc bloggedon Tuesday that we can forget it.

"Rather than waiting for months and bundling together a bunch of improvements into a larger update as we did for the Windows 8.1 Update, customers can expect that we'll use our already existing monthly update process to deliver more frequent improvements along with the security updates normally provided as part of 'Update Tuesday'," LeBlanc wrote.

Read the rest of the story here.

My idea of more like desktop windows is resizable windows for Metro Apps. I would think they would be less intrusive if they weren't locked into full screen or snap mode. Like media players Now Playing mode. I don't see why they should hog the screen like they do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
My idea of more like desktop windows is resizable windows for Metro Apps. I would think they would be less intrusive if they weren't locked into full screen or snap mode. Like media players Now Playing mode. I don't see why they should hog the screen like they do.
Well, that's supposed to happen in Win9, at least that what scuttlebutt is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

:thumb: I'll let him confirm, but I think this what Jimbo wants in the way of Metro being more like desktop programs.

EDIT: Removing the charms bar advances this even farther.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

:thumb: I'll let him confirm, but I think this what Jimbo wants in the way of Metro being more like desktop programs.

EDIT: Removing the charms bar advances this even farther.

Yes my vision would be for metro Apps to be like Gadgets that we are told are unsafe and are not supported by Windows any longer. I have my favorites still working with 3rd party software. But I could go for having the same ones as Apps that size down and work like gadgets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
In this case it's Scrambled !!!

Just keep Justin Bieber away from your eggs - they'll end up on the neighbor's house - scrambled for sure.

Hi there

Pardon my Ignorance -- Who is he exactly and why should I even care. !! I suppose it's one of these talentless individuals that think they can randomly screech a few notes resulting in a hideous cacophony that makes a load of Road Drills and tunnelling equipment sound pleasant. !!

(Mind you I am an Engineer -- "Old School" type !!).

Cheers
jimbo

Your description is waaaaay too good for him. He is one of the really bad images out there for our children. I thought for a long time his surname was Beaver - not Beiber - shows how much I follow him. The egging of his neighbor's house in an expensive neighborhood caught my attention so much that when "eggs" are mentioned, I now think of it as the epitome screwed up - scrambled.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
You would like metro apps to act like desktop windows? That's bold, but that also asks the question why do we need metro then? I love the separation between lightweight metro apps and desktop environment. My mail, calculator, calendar, etc are all left in metro and I dotn want them to intrude on my work in desktop like PS or Solidworks. The way I see it it's the border between consuming and creating content.
I see where you're coming from, but I bet that Microsoft don't want Metro apps to just be about content consumption.

I reckon that they'd love more developers to swell the (still somewhat empty) shelves in the Windows Store with all sorts of utilities.

I've read a lot of people making comments along the lines of 'Windows 8/8.1 is great because you can hide Metro and stick with all the Desktop software you know and love', and given that, why would an app developer go to the trouble of replacing their Desktop app with a Metro version, especially as many people would still demand the Desktop one to be available as well? If Metro is available in a resizeable Desktop window (so you might not need the Desktop version), then maybe more developers would start writing good software for the Windows Store.

And of course if some future version of Microsoft's own Office was a Metro App available in resizeable Metro windows, it might just stay usable.

Hi there

Lots of Metro apps would be fine if they ran in re-sizeable AND BORDERLESS Windows -- the point of a metro app is that it would be dynamically updating -- say like a TV show (SKY NEWS for example) or a weather or a Stock market app.

A classic desktop app interacts with a user CONTINUOUSLY for example a BLANK spreadsheet is of no use to anyone -- the user needs to ADD data which is appropriate to HIM not every body else.

A Metro app should also allow some simple user input say a parameter at start up - for example which stock(s) do you want or which city / cities is the weather required but it's not generally a continuous dialog between user and application like Ms Office or typical desktop applications --Photoshop is a good example of where it would be either impossible or highly undesirable to "Metro-ify" this.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Metro apps that give information (ie News, Weather) would work well as a desktop resizable app, but would this feature convert more people to use the apps instead of desktop counterpart

for example

Why would I choose to run the Mail app in a resizable window instead of WLM or Outlook
Why would I use the Onedrive app instead of File Explorer

I do use these Metro apps and others, but it depends what I am doing, if I am looking at other apps as they are now I will split screen then and use apps (sticking to the metro screens)
If these apps are going to be on the desktop as resizable windows, then I don't see the point of most apps, the desktop versions are superior

What incentive is there for people to use Apps on the desktop over an original desktop program?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Metro apps that give information (ie News, Weather) would work well as a desktop resizable app, but would this feature convert more people to use the apps instead of desktop counterpart

for example

Why would I choose to run the Mail app in a resizable window instead of WLM or Outlook
Why would I use the Onedrive app instead of File Explorer

I do use these Metro apps and others, but it depends what I am doing, if I am looking at other apps as they are now I will split screen then and use apps (sticking to the metro screens)
If these apps are going to be on the desktop as resizable windows, then I don't see the point of most apps, the desktop versions are superior

What incentive is there for people to use Apps on the desktop over an original desktop program?

Hi there

I think the answer is fairly easy.

At a technical level a desktop app even if it's updating is essentially operating in "Background mode" once the focus is on another app. A metro app can be considered as a "Foreground app" which is continuously and visibly updating itself whether the focus is on the app or not - so in effect working a bit like the old Vista Gadgets - but a lot more sophisticated and secure.

A big difference between Metro and desktop is that with a desktop application you are CONTINUOUSLY interacting with it -- an EXCEL spread sheet for example or even Web browsing - or writing on Forums (like this one) !! whereas a Metro app starts and should just be updating itself with almost or NO user interaction. Things like the Mail app should NOT IMO be a Metro app.

For example a Stock Market dynamic app - where it's updating automatically on part of your desktop, or a weather or sport app. Yes you could do this with a "Classic" desktop app but the Metro feature would enable these to be written fairly easily and work on phones too - a decent set of "Calls" or interfaces or whatever the coders call these - could make it really easy to develop these with a few mouse clicks and using Visual tools rather than going through what I would imagine to be a laborious process for writing full blown Windows programs.

A Metro app would just start - possibly with a prompt e.g I want the Real Time Market graph of MSFT stock price or the Weather for London, Sydney and Los Angeles. The app would then just continuously run updating without any interaction from the user until you stopped it. It would be essentially a single task rather than a complex program like photoshop where you are interacting with the program all the time

Most media playing programs IMO would work better as a Metro app too -- once the movie has started you just let it run until it finishes -- but without a re-sizeable option - especially on a large screen the Metro apps have hobbled themselves in the foot.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Happy 33rd birthday to PC as we know and love(hate)it.
On August 12, 1981, IBM released Model 5150, an 8088 @ 4.77 MHz and whooping 16 KB of RAM.
The company I worked for bought it shortly after and I had to assemble it and put it to work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
On August 12, 1981, IBM released Model 5150, an 8088 @ 4.77 MHz and whooping 16 KB of RAM.
The company I worked for bought it shortly after and I had to assemble it and put it to work.
:)

The company I worked for bought one of these, I think the price at the time was like $3000.00 US dollars, and I remember the sales rep saying "yeah, it has 16Kbytes of ram, you will never use up that much.

I also, remember we all stood around, turned it on, and it booted to a blank screen (DOS prompt) with the word "OK", we all looked at each other and said "sooo.... what do we do now?"

Ahhh, the good ole days

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Just a spoiled brat that adolescent girls think is cool. Trying to sing but no talent at all. Anyway real music is far removed from him. Besides R&R, classic music and any other real music, my most loved tune is in the middle of working factory.

who has made more money in a couple of years than you will make in several lifetimes. A commentary on our times, I guess.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi there

I think the answer is fairly easy.

At a technical level a desktop app even if it's updating is essentially operating in "Background mode" once the focus is on another app. A metro app can be considered as a "Foreground app" which is continuously and visibly updating itself whether the focus is on the app or not - so in effect working a bit like the old Vista Gadgets - but a lot more sophisticated and secure.

A big difference between Metro and desktop is that with a desktop application you are CONTINUOUSLY interacting with it -- an EXCEL spread sheet for example or even Web browsing - or writing on Forums (like this one) !! whereas a Metro app starts and should just be updating itself with almost or NO user interaction. Things like the Mail app should NOT IMO be a Metro app.

For example a Stock Market dynamic app - where it's updating automatically on part of your desktop, or a weather or sport app. Yes you could do this with a "Classic" desktop app but the Metro feature would enable these to be written fairly easily and work on phones too - a decent set of "Calls" or interfaces or whatever the coders call these - could make it really easy to develop these with a few mouse clicks and using Visual tools rather than going through what I would imagine to be a laborious process for writing full blown Windows programs.

A Metro app would just start - possibly with a prompt e.g I want the Real Time Market graph of MSFT stock price or the Weather for London, Sydney and Los Angeles. The app would then just continuously run updating without any interaction from the user until you stopped it. It would be essentially a single task rather than a complex program like photoshop where you are interacting with the program all the time

Most media playing programs IMO would work better as a Metro app too -- once the movie has started you just let it run until it finishes -- but without a re-sizeable option - especially on a large screen the Metro apps have hobbled themselves in the foot.

Cheers
jimbo

Thanks for the response

I do agree with you on using this for the widget idea and having them there to update info and make it available to read immediately, that would be a nice feature

Apart from that I don't see the appeal in metro apps on the desktop

From what I have read MS are creating metro versions of the office apps, on the current metro screen I would happily use these, but put me on the desktop only and I would use the current apps, wouldn't even consider the metro version of office

I know I am an odd one in liking metro apps/start screen as it is now and should perhaps feel :eek: to admit it, but apart from what you say about reading/viewing content I don't see any appeal in desktop metro apps

Hopefully MS will surprise me and I will like what they are doing when I see more about it

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE

The company I worked for bought one of these, I think the price at the time was like $3000.00 US dollars, and I remember the sales rep saying "yeah, it has 16Kbytes of ram, you will never use up that much.

I also, remember we all stood around, turned it on, and it booted to a blank screen (DOS prompt) with the word "OK", we all looked at each other and said "sooo.... what do we do now?"

Ahhh, the good ole days

Thanks for sharing that tidbit Count! :thumb: I turned 30 that year and remember reading about it, but didn't get my first computer until 1991 and then a serious one in 1997.

Ahhh, yes, the good ole days, RBS! Who would ever think it would lead to all that we have today? It actually ultra revolutionized our would and societies.

While we're reminiscing, perhaps you two and others would like to share here: http://www.eightforums.com/chillout-room/7538-personal-computer-related-memories-i-remember.html

Happy Birthday to the IBM compatible PC! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Ahhh, the good ole days

Thanks for sharing that tidbit Count! :thumb: I turned 30 that year and remember reading about it, but didn't get my first computer until 1991 and then a serious one in 1997.

Ahhh, yes, the good ole days, RBS! Who would ever think it would lead to all that we have today? It actually ultra revolutionized our would and societies.

While we're reminiscing, perhaps you two and others would like to share here: http://www.eightforums.com/chillout-room/7538-personal-computer-related-memories-i-remember.html

Happy Birthday to the IBM compatible PC! :D
Hey Hypsie, Thanks for posting about that old thread, some people paralleled my experiences with computers and electronics so I'll try to remember some of the stuff and post there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
You're welcome, Count. I feel it's a good way to get to know members. History for the younger, although they have their story too. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
You're welcome, Count. I feel it's a good way to get to know members. History for the younger, although they have their story too. :)
Have a peek at that thread, I just posted some of my experiences.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
What do you mean "kills" ?? Tehn why some sites posted to download this as Update 2 ???? http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0C9-C4396B5A808A/Windows8.1-KB2975719-x64.msu
What "some sites" call it is not important. This latest update is nowhere as extensive as planned before, it's not even required for further updates like update 1 was. That's why it should not be called "Update 2" and therefore it's killed dead.

:ditto: 975719 is just a small piece of what was planned for update 2, it is not update 2. Microsoft killed the plan for one big second update and decided to do a series of smaller individual updates. It's hard to know what was going to be in the proposed update 2 but it sounds like some of the planned features have been postponed or even dropped completely. Only Microsoft knows and at the moment they aren't telling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
What ???? M$ afraid somebody might have better idea than them ???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro