Microsoft as a Subscription?

We will have to wait and see what all this really means....

On the cloud subscription model: "We're well on our way to making that transition in terms of moving from pure licenses to long-term contracts and as well as subscription business model," Nadella told analysts. But he didn't share anything new about when, whether and how Microsoft will move to a subscription model for Windows, as some are expecting.

Source

Also,,,,

WZor also claims that Microsoft is tinkering with the business model for Windows and may make some kind of base-level version of Windows available for free for everyone, but require a subscription to "turn on" the full set of capabilities and features, similar to the way Microsoft requires Office on iPad users to have an Office 365 subscription to do more than just the simplest of tasks with the free version. I haven't heard anything specifically about this from my contacts (yet).

Source

For the record, I voted maybe.

But let's look at how Microsoft reap's the benefits here.

In a perfect world, without piracy, people would be spending
  1. $139 per copy for Office 2013 Home and Student: Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]: Software
  2. $219 per copy for Office 2013 Home and Business if they needed Outlook: Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]: Software
  3. $399 per copy for Office 2013 Professional if they need Outlook, Access and Publisher. Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Professional 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]: Software

So, instead, Microsoft says, OK with an Office 365 subscription, you get 5 installs of Office 2013 Pro ($399 per copy retail), and you can share these with your friends and family if you like. This will only cost you $99 per year for the 5 installs. So, $20 per copy/year. Now, had MS sold 5 copies at retails they stood to make $399 x 5 = $1,995. Instead, at $99 a year, it would take them 20.15 years to get that revenue.

But what they do get, is subscriptions from those who might have been set on pirating 2 copies of Office 2013 Professional (as they weren't going to pay $399 x 2). Instead, these people might buy the subscription for $99, then keep 2 copies for themselves and sell off the remaining installs to friends and family for $20 a pop. So, instead of paying $800 for 2 copies of Office Pro, they spend out of pocket about $40 a year. Takes em 20 years to make up that difference.

The subscription gets you 5 installs, it gets you web versions, it's gets you more OneDrive space, it gets you Skype minutes, it gets you a portal where you can share and control your shared installs. It keeps you on the latest versions of the software, etc. All for $99 a year. Seems like an absolute bargain to me, espeically with as much as you guys seem to bag on Open Office/LibreOffice for not being anywhere near as good as Microsoft office.

And don't forgot, if you want 1 copy to have and hold for the next 10 years and you "only need word and excel", you can still buy the $139 straight up software license and do it that way. In that case, the subscription makes no sense, as you need very limited products, and at $99 per year, you would exceed the cost in just over a year. Of course, you could buy Office 365 for $99 a year, and then install 1 copy with more features than you would have had before, and you could sell your other 4 copies to friends/family for $80 a year and then your out of pocket would be $20 a year. At that rate, you would still be ahead for 7 years compared to buying a copy for $139.

Exactly. Office 365 is such a steal, it's literally no wonder why many enterprises and government agencies in the past couple of years have been switching to it and have no regrets. Five PCs, 20 dollars per seat of Office, every year.

It's not only a good thing for the end user, it's a good thing for Microsoft as well. It means a steady flow of subscriptions, steady flow of revenue, and a steady flow of updates as well for the end user. Office 2013 users didn't get a new feature in Excel recently with the SP1 update. Office 365 users did.

Also, if you just need Word and Excel, Office Online is the best and free alternative to use. Just need a Microsoft Account, you're all set.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Does the EULA allow "sub-letting" your subscription?
It sure does, they even have a page on how to do it: Share Office 365 Home with up to four people in your household - support

Now, it talks about sharing it with your household, but they recently changed the process such that you send out an email to whomever. Hence, they don't care.

I don't think I know a single person irl who has ever bought a copy of Office.
And here in lies the reason why so many don't want subscription based software. They might have to actually cough up some money. It always cracks me up when somebody lambastes OpenOffice/LibreOffice as not being nearly good enough, but then they don't have the scruples to actually pay for Microsoft Office which they clearly think is better. If it's sooo much better, would it not be worth paying for? I guess not for those adament that they are switching to another OS and office suite if/when subscription software comes around.

Hi there.

That's what Torrents are for !!!!!!!
No, No, No. Don't steal commercial software people. Use the great freebie apps which are available out there. if those aren't good enough for your needs, then PAY for the product that is. My goodness, they are making Office 365 so cheap, I don't even think it needs to garner more than 5 seconds of thought.

Seriously you USED to be able to get Office 2007 Enterprise as a Use at Home feature from a lot of workplaces / colleges for just the price of the DVD media (around 5 USD I think)- although you were meant to stop using it if you changed jobs -- few did though.
The Home Use Program (HUP) still exists. You just have to work for a compoany who maintains "Software Assurance" on their Enterprise agreement. The only prices I have seen are $9.99 and $19.99. Yes, if you are no longer employed with the company, you are required by the EULA to remove the software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I have Office 2003 on many computers here. It works fine and meets our needs.

It's 2014. We bought that version of office over a decade ago. . .That is why software companies are pushing the subscription model.

And NO, the PC is not dead, but software companies would probably like them to be. Get everyone on controlled subscription devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Glad I don't pay Microsoft a single dime. :cool: The things that they come up with lol. Windows and Office are part of the DreamSpark program from my university so I get legit copies for free. Subscriptions are a huge no in my book. I will take my computing needs to where M$ doesn't shine if they change Windows into subscription only.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Office 2013 users didn't get a new feature in Excel recently with the SP1 update. Office 365 users did.

I think stand-alones did indeed get SP1. I have stand-alone Office Pro 2013 and checked to make sure. My version is 15.0.4605.1003, therefore higher than what's listed below.

In order to determine whether SP1 is already installed, you can look for the program version in the list of installed programs in the Programs and Features Control Panel item. If SP1 is installed, the version will be 15.0.4569.1506 or higher. Additionally, if you have installed the SP1 update for a Windows Installer (MSI) product, SP1 will be listed in Installed Updates in that same Control Panel item.

Description of Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I have the stand alone version of Office 2013 and the version listed in Programs and Features is 15.0.4605.1003, which came through the normal Win updates. So I presume I have SP1? :think:

I also have Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 stand alone versions, and frankly the number of features in each succeeding version seems to have consistently diminished.

Even from 2010 to 2013 one such feature missing is the ability to edit pictures with Office Picture Manager. In MS Office Tools in 2010 there are 6 available. But in 2013 only 2.

MS Tools 2010.PNG

MS Tools 2013.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Might as well go subscription. They're turning over these OSs faster than you could build highrise lately.

Teed me off that I bought 8 Pro disk then turn around a year later only to release 8.1 via the Store. There my disk sits collecting dust. Hopefully one of my grandchildren might appreciate it some day. :)
100% :ditto: And rather than download over 3GB to install the store version of 8.1 every time I want to do a fresh install ... and then another 800+ MB for 8.1 update via Win updates ... I just went out and bought the 8.1 Pro OEM disc from a retail store. At least now all I need to download is the 800+ MB for 8.1.1 update.

And likewise my W8 Pro disc sits on the shelf gathering dust, as useless as tits on a bull.

I even offered my son my old PC free with the original W8 Pro loaded onto it with the 8.1 and 8.1.1 updates already installed ... and he didn't want it, even for free!!! He just went out and bought an Apple iPad. And still uses W7 Ultimate on his desktop tower for serious work.

As for subscriptions ... what planet you come from? I mean ... SERIOUSLY! Even on my iPhone i5s the so called free games ... HA HA! ... from the Apple App Store, can't be successfully completed without spending hundreds of $$$$. Just one example is "Deer Hunter", where you need to spend at least $200+ to get all the guns needed to finish the hunts.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Yeah, I hate the Nickle and Dime Games on Phones. I won't install them
Or If I get suckered in, will play them to the point that I can't go any further and then delete them. But I generally don't install them period.

But the MS thing is not the same thing.

The Clipart stuff has been moved internally and is actually located on the MS Servers now.
The Photo Manager I think has been integrated with Windows 8 in general under Photos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Nope.

They just don't have Office. No need or use for it.

I own the aparment I am sitting in now. That is because it makes more sense to buy it for $800,000 than pay rent for it every month forever. That would be lunacy, money down the drain.

It is an apartment, technically there is a lease with certain conditions, that does not mean I am renting it. Pay it for it once, that is all.

There are a few situations where renting works - typically when you are only going to use something for a short period. Renting a holiday apartnment might make sense , because you may only want it for for a week.

I don't know if you really can't understand what is going on here, or if you are being deliberately misleading.

Which people?

I don't think I know a single person irl who has ever bought a copy of Office.

Edit - correction - I do know one person who has.

You must hang around some unscrupulous people.... ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Does the EULA allow "sub-letting" your subscription?
It sure does, they even have a page on how to do it: Share Office 365 Home with up to four people in your household - support

Now, it talks about sharing it with your household, but they recently changed the process such that you send out an email to whomever. Hence, they don't care.

Yup noted there is no specific restriction on resale of whole or part of the product...leaves it open to abuse though.... theoretically then given - your scenario - one could charge, say those requiring a single installation only, 50 bucks and make a handsome 100 bucks profit - seems M$ should re-look at this or offer personal subscriptions at 20 bucks a pop...?

BTW Seems Home is $79,99(5 PC's + 5 tablets) and Personal $59.99 (1 PC + 1 tablet)

Source:

Edit: Above pricing may be forex dependant ... I converted page from ZA to US...to get $ amounts..(Sorry for any confusion... Web developers do this kind of thing..LOL)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Hi there

Seriously the "Torrent" comment was meant to be taken as a totally NON serious comic comment. !!! However the HUP (Home use Program) is a very worthwhile alternative to subscription services if you qualify, otherwise Home and Student editions (2007/2010)are still a LOT cheaper than the PRO Office 365 subscription version -- especially if say you only want Powerpoint, Excel and Word. Ms Access IMO isn't worth paying extra for the "PRO" version and there are literally 100's of excellent FREE email clients if you don't HAVE to have Outlook.

Office 2003 STILL works fine (12 years after introduction -- that's 12 * 100 = 1200 saved in Fees) - Office 2003 std edition was about 50 USD if I remember.

Office 2007 / 2010 will still work well into the indefinite future -- how many people actually USE the new features (such as they are) in typical office environments. For HOME users these "features" are probably even more irrelevant .

For businesses the subscription idea makes Sense as it handles easily the hassles of Licences - especially those wretched "By Seat" things which always seem to run out when you get a few temporary workers on site and guarantees up to date and consistent software across an enterprise.

For Home users it's a slippery slope -- you know - like those Banks that advertise what are in the industry known as "Sucker Deals" - new customers are offered almost Loss Leader type of deals and once they are "suckered in" the prices rise astronomically and the poor customers have to stay as quitting the deal costs them a lot too.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I have the stand alone version of Office 2013 and the version listed in Programs and Features is 15.0.4605.1003, which came through the normal Win updates. So I presume I have SP1?

Not sure if you’re being facetious here or not, but I’ll take it this and your next post is just a general complaint. Yes, according to the site page I linked you do indeed have SP1. On the other hand, some did not receive the February SP1 via update for it was included with the post-February install via download such as mine or included on current install media.

I also have Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 stand alone versions, and frankly the number of features in each succeeding version seems to have consistently diminished.

Even from 2010 to 2013 one such feature missing is the ability to edit pictures with Office Picture Manager. In MS Office Tools in 2010 there are 6 available. But in 2013 only 2.

I see Tepid answered some in his post. The “Insert” tab alone has a multitude of new features. Not sure what I missed in the intermediate releases for I jumped from Office 2000 Pro to 2013 Pro, so there’s a lot added that I see. Some of the items are what I’m assuming are Office 365 features such as the Store and apps. I installed the Bing dictionary and translator which I find helpful. I see they are cloud-centric.

Might as well go subscription. They're turning over these OSs faster than you could build a high-rise lately.

Teed me off that I bought 8 Pro disk then turn around a year later only to release 8.1 via the Store. There my disk sits collecting dust. Hopefully one of my grandchildren might appreciate it some day.
100% And rather than download over 3GB to install the store version of 8.1 every time I want to do a fresh install ... and then another 800+ MB for 8.1 update via Win updates ... I just went out and bought the 8.1 Pro OEM disc from a retail store. At least now all I need to download is the 800+ MB for 8.1.1 update.

And likewise my W8 Pro disc sits on the shelf gathering dust, as useless as tits on a bull.

Not sure why MS is going the Store-install route other than attempting to control piracy. Not a very good means to do so, for I think it promotes it all the more. Hopefully this will change soon. At least give us an ISO download via an MS account.

I even offered my son my old PC free with the original W8 Pro loaded onto it with the 8.1 and 8.1.1 updates already installed ... and he didn't want it, even for free!!! He just went out and bought an Apple iPad. And still uses W7 Ultimate on his desktop tower for serious work.

To each their own I guess. Some may never want to adopt to the “new way”. We all need to find our own way.

As for subscriptions ... what planet you come from? I mean ... SERIOUSLY! Even on my iPhone i5s the so called free games ... HA HA! ... from the Apple App Store, can't be successfully completed without spending hundreds of $$$$. Just one example is "Deer Hunter", where you need to spend at least $200+ to get all the guns needed to finish the hunts.

Well, it looks like planet Earth, but looking more like Mars. :p I voted maybe to wait and see more info. The gist of my post was that if they’re releasing OSs at a faster pace, then a subscription may be cheaper for me. For one that plans to not upgrade or a collector of OSs it may be different. We must keep in mind that everything is situational. What may work for some, might not work for others. Buying any kind of unit to live in at an older age tying up assets may not be as wise as someone younger investing for future gains. Age is a tremendous factor in life decisions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Home and Student editions (2007/2010)are still a LOT cheaper than the PRO Office 365 subscription version -- especially if say you only want Powerpoint, Excel and Word.
I've said it a few times, if you only need 1 copy of the software and just need Excel, PowerPoint and Word than the standalone might be the better way to go. It's when you need a few installs or want something like Outlook, Publisher or Access that the Office365 system becomes more of a nobrainer.

A quick look at Amazon today shows a 3 pack of Office 2010 Home and Student is $273. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but I'm always leary of these cheap computer house software resellers
Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Family Pack, 3PC (Disc Version): Software.

If you opt for the 2013 version, a single user/1pc install of Home and Office is $139. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Off...&sr=8-1&keywords=Office+2013+home+and+student

And don't forget we have multiple subscriptions too
  • A 4 year student subscription for up to 2 devices is $79.95 (total)
  • Office 365 personal allows 1 install on PC/Mac and 1 install on Tablet, and is $6.99 month or $69.99 for a year
  • Office 365 home allows 5 installs on PC/Mac, and 5 installs on Tablets, and is $9.99 month or $99.99 for a year

Office 2003 STILL works fine (12 years after introduction -- that's 12 * 100 = 1200 saved in Fees) - Office 2003 std edition was about 50 USD if I remember.
I don't ever recall Office being that cheap. I'd put that price at least at $200.

For Home users it's a slippery slope -- you know - like those Banks that advertise what are in the industry known as "Sucker Deals" - new customers are offered almost Loss Leader type of deals and once they are "suckered in" the prices rise astronomically and the poor customers have to stay as quitting the deal costs them a lot too.

As a home user, you do have to evaluation your situation. I think a lot of people "pirate" Office because they think they need it, and everybody else they know has it. Many of these people could probably get by just fine with OpenOffice/LibreOffice or tools like Google Docs. Also, with office.com available many can use the free web based versions of Word and Excel for their most basic needs.
If you have a need for the product, only need 1 copy and are happy staying on the older releases, buying it is the way to go. If on the other hand, you have a need for multiple copies, have kids in school, multiple device types and need to keep up, the subscription should certainly be evaluated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

Stand AloneSubscription
SeatsSeats
Small Business1360.71229.08
Home premium x 22362.145165
1 Year722.84394.08
Cost till 2020722.842758.56

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

Stand AloneSubscription
SeatsSeats
Small Business1360.71229.08
Home premium x 22362.145165
1 Year722.84394.08
Cost till 2020722.842758.56

Well of course it's more. Nobody could really possibly believe that this would be a way to save money.... could they....???

It boggles the mind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
One must think of the possible security flaws in using out of date software. If you don't run a 10 year old OS, you shouldn't be running 10 year old software.

Office 2003 is a good example. You can use it to your heart's content all you want, but not only are you missing a TON of features from a newer version, you can easily expose yourself to security flaws in Outlook 2003, Excel 2003, SharePoint 2003, so on and so forth. And yes, you may think not using a newer version may not expose you to those security flaws, but tell that to everyone who used Windows xp when newer versions were available to use but were chosen not to be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Stand Alone
Subscription
Seats
Seats
Small Business
Home premium x 2
1 Year
Cost till 2020

Well of course it's more. Nobody could really possibly believe that this would be a way to save money.... could they....???

It boggles the mind.
You may need to change that some because Office 365's standalone equivalent is Office 2013 Pro Plus, a $500 suite per PC; let alone the fact there is Office 365 Enterprise pricing plans.

Compare Office 365 for business plans

For an office of about 25 or fewer workings, to run Office 365 annually would cost $60 USD before national theft. Of course, this includes the OneDrive storage, Outlook, all the fun stuff like public website hosting.

So in your specific case, you could EASILY run Office 365 Small Business until 2020 for a NZD sum of 417.60 before any national theft.

Or if you felt that if since you're self-employed, having 25 seats of Office is by far too rich (even though you could rent out those seats for like five dollars per year); there is Office 365 Personal. Annual NZD cost: 487.13

Buy Microsoft Office 2013 suites and Office 365 subscriptions

More Microsoft, fewer dollars, more global domination, less resistance. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Honestly, this is a joke. Does anyone really think corporations are going subscription to save end users money?

Really? Seriously? Are you on drugs?

I'm not bashing MS here. Any company. They are doing this for you?

Get real....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
You are right Coke. I hasn't checked the price for the business plan in a while. In NZ dollars now per year for 1 seat with TAX is $88.32. The total until 2020 would now only be $1773.24. Still a thousand dollars more than the stand alone price.

Still planning to stick to 2010. But only because I don't particularly like the new look, and there is no new features that are of any use to me.

If I did upgrade it would be to the stand alone products as it would still be cheaper for me to upgrade to 2013, and if prices stay the same the next version of office as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
Honestly, this is a joke. Does anyone really think corporations are going subscription to save end users money?

Really? Seriously? Are you on drugs?

I'm not bashing MS here. Any company. They are doing this for you?

Get real....

That's a mixed bag there. It could be yes, it could be no.

In Microsoft's case, it's both as it makes once pricy software more available. Office is such a huge investment and I've seen people hold onto old versions because "it still works." Right, until they stop updating it for performance problems or security issues or even OS compatibility. It's definitely good for them as if you have for example Office 365, one main compilation of code is maintained. Overall, instead of having to support a few different versions of code at the same time, they can stay focused on developing for one. I'd imagine they'd be more interested in that considering a similar situation arose with Windows vista's early days of development right at the same time xp's lack of security sidetracked a lot of the process....

Further, it's a good thing for Microsoft as it means more Office, meaning probably the same revenue maybe more, and at such a low annual cost it can definitely continue to stomp out competition like google docs.

It might not be good for the end user as if they don't renew their subscription on time, no Office for you. But right now, you have like 30 days to renew before it's expired and can't be used for creation or editing. If the consumer doesn't get the correct version for their needs, they may over spend versus standalone.

If this were Adobe, I'd say no, this isn't good for anyone. Their CC pricing plans make no sense, there's month-to-month, prepaid, existing customers, and then full suite packages. Microsoft so far has really done a fine job with Office 365 and making it simple as mud to figure out while still being a great proposition for sure.

Standalone has its benefits, subscription has its benefits. It all comes down to what best suits your needs. Some will stick with standalone as that's what makes sense for them, some will do subscription as it makes the best sense for them. Some might even stick with the cloud version, Office Online, as that's even better for them. Free, basic, and works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back