Microsoft Anna on Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's up with it either. Maybe it needed to be updated to it's fullest before Windows 8.1 upgrade. Ah well it's not too big of deal; I was using Windows 8 so to upgrade to Windows 10 later on but I encountered a problem with the tiles in the start screen that I couldn't fix without reinstalling so I wasn't about to do that. I went back to Windows 7 (and will just buy myself a windows 10 pro product key and save the trouble.) So now I have Anna again. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Lucky for me I have another computer running Windows 8.1 so maybe I can get this working on it at least. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Okay, first of all, to get the obvious things out of the way: 1. Sorry for bumping a kinda old thread 2. I'm new to the forums, hello everyone, nice to meet you all!

Now, on to the reason for the post: I used Butters’ batch file thing to get Microsoft Anna installed on my Windows 8 Toshiba Laptop, but I still can't get her to work on some programs and apps and such. I'm a bit of an update Luddite, I tend to prefer older, (at least to me) more familiar and reliable versions of programs whenever possible.

So, I know this might be kind of an esoteric and maybe not all that commonly-known question, but; I'm running the narration program Free NaturalReader 9.6. Yes, it's from 2011, and yes, I'm running it on Windows 8. Now, Microsoft Anna successfully installed onto my machine, and she shows up as an option in the dropdown menu to choose your voice in Free NaturalReader 9.6, but she doesn't actually work; that is to say, the text readback just sits there on whatever you had highlighted whenever Anna's selected as your voice, but she doesn't actually read anything.

All the default Windows 8 voices work just fine in NaturalReader. I don't know how familiar anyone is with this particular piece of software, but, can anyone come up with anything that might help me figure out how to get it to accept Anna's voice? By the way, she works just fine on the same version of the same program running on my old Windows 7 Dell Laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Lumpi, I just got around to trying out your modified version of Butters' work and it worked for my Windows 8.1 laptop flawlessly, and not to mention, it works on Windows 10 Pro as well as I just got it working a couple minutes ago as of this post time. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Lumpi, I just got around to trying out your modified version of Butters' work and it worked for my Windows 8.1 laptop flawlessly, and not to mention, it works on Windows 10 Pro as well as I just got it working a couple minutes ago as of this post time. :)

Ista, do you have any idea if it would work for my problem, (that being Free NaturalReader not accepting Anna as a voice)?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I haven't a clue. If it doesn't work for me like it's already part of the operating system, I don't feel the need to try other ways.
The only thing you can do is give it a try I suppose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hmm, so, Ista… are you suggesting that I should try to install Lumpi’s thing on top of Butters’ batch file thing, and that might help my issue? Do I need to uninstall Butters’ thing first, or?…

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
All I did was install Lumpi's modified version on a brand new install of Windows 10. It worked on my Windows 8.1 laptop too which it was designed for 8.1. Butters has the right idea going I'd wager but Lumpi's is the one that worked for me, and still does might I add.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
All I did was install Lumpi's modified version on a brand new install of Windows 10. It worked on my Windows 8.1 laptop too which it was designed for 8.1. Butters has the right idea going I'd wager but Lumpi's is the one that worked for me, and still does might I add.
Ohkaaaay… well, I already installed Butters’ so… what should I do now? I don't know how to uninstall it… so if I install Lumpi’s now, is that okay, or?…

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Professional
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 7537
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    None, but I do use Malwarebytes Pro
I've been trying to get Anna to work on Windows 10. I used the bat file given on the forum. It seems to have added her voice to the drop down menu but when I try to get her to work I get an error. Does anyone know how to fix this ?

I'm using latest windows 10, 64 bit OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Used the batch, did some manual work too.
None of the older voices work for me, on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 (Dual Channel)
    Graphics Card(s)
    (MSI) nVidia GTX 750 Ti
    Browser
    Firefox
I'm going to have to fix/update those batch files. I'll do it when I have the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 15 7537
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    None, but I do use Malwarebytes Pro
I've been trying to get Anna to work on my windows 10 system as well, with no luck. I tried both batch and manual, so I turned echo on for the batch file and get this when I run it. The enu-dsk folder seems to be completely empty on my machine, even in the zip file. Am I just an idiot or should there be a pile of M1033DSK.* files in that folder?
oDy3o.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
Hi everyone. Sorry for the hiatus, but I just wanted to let you folks know that I haven't forgotten about this. I'm currently working on creating an installer that should install the voices with no problems. To be honest, this is kind of new stuff for me, but hopefully we can get things working for everyone.

Also, I feel like I should mention that when messing around with a new Win7 installation, I'm getting all the same problems as everyone else. I have gotten the voices to work by doing some stuff manually, but I feel like I've already explained how to do everything I possibly can explain. So I'll update with an installer hopefully before too long.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 15 7537
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Memory