Media Center Not Displaying Correctly

starvinmarvin

This weird behavior only started a few days ago. The picture is too wide when viewed on Media Center. It happens on both live TV and on TV programs we have recorded. Details:

Windows 8.1 Media Center on PC with Nvidia GTX-1050Ti graphics card with HDMI-out connected to HDMI input on Pioneer plasma TV.

Media has worked OK until two days ago. We turned on Media Center, selected a channel to view and immediately noticed the display is stretched too wide. You could describe it as excessive overscan. No picture/image problems before then.

The same stretched-too-wide picture is displayed when we select a recorded program to watch. Both older and recently recorded programs display too wide. The older programs displayed normally until two days ago.

For the record, I checked every possible setting and setup option in Media Center, but no improvement. Also checked graphics card settings and all options on the TV itself, no improvement.

BUT, when we view live TV using a different app (called HDHomerun) the picture is displayed correctly, no unwanted stretching. Also, when we view recorded TV programs using VLC (VideoLan) media player the program is displayed correctly, no unwanted stretching.

Thus, the problem must lie with Media Center. It seems to have lost its Dot-by-Dot and Full display options, and will only display in a Wide/Zoom mode.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem, please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    Memory
    4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX-1050Ti
This weird behavior only started a few days ago. The picture is too wide when viewed on Media Center. It happens on both live TV and on TV programs we have recorded. Details:

Windows 8.1 Media Center on PC with Nvidia GTX-1050Ti graphics card with HDMI-out connected to HDMI input on Pioneer plasma TV.

Media has worked OK until two days ago. We turned on Media Center, selected a channel to view and immediately noticed the display is stretched too wide. You could describe it as excessive overscan. No picture/image problems before then.

The same stretched-too-wide picture is displayed when we select a recorded program to watch. Both older and recently recorded programs display too wide. The older programs displayed normally until two days ago.

For the record, I checked every possible setting and setup option in Media Center, but no improvement. Also checked graphics card settings and all options on the TV itself, no improvement.

BUT, when we view live TV using a different app (called HDHomerun) the picture is displayed correctly, no unwanted stretching. Also, when we view recorded TV programs using VLC (VideoLan) media player the program is displayed correctly, no unwanted stretching.

Thus, the problem must lie with Media Center. It seems to have lost its Dot-by-Dot and Full display options, and will only display in a Wide/Zoom mode.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem, please?
Fixed it. WMC program listings has an "Info" option on our remote control. "Info" mainly provides a brief plot synopsis, but there are a couple of other options if you arrow right. One of those options in smaller print which I never noticed before is "Zoom", and it was set to Zoom 3 (wide ). After resetting it to Zoom 1 (normal aspect ration) the picture is now as it should be. I'm blaming it all on the cat, but GF says it's on me. Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z97 Extreme4