Mark your calendars for Windows 8.1!

I know a lot of folks are eager to find out when they will be able to get Windows 8.1. I am excited to share that starting at 12:00am on October 18th in New Zealand (that’s 4:00am October 17th in Redmond), Windows 8.1 will begin rolling out worldwide as a free update for consumers on Windows 8 through the Windows Store. Windows 8.1 will also be available at retail and on new devices starting on October 18th by market. So mark your calendars!

Windows 8.1 continues the vision we began with Windows 8 and is an example of our commitment to continuous innovation and improvement for our customers. And Windows 8.1 brings many improvements in areas like personalization, Internet Explorer 11, search which is powered by Bing, built-in apps including a few new ones, an improved Windows Store experience, and cloud connectivity with SkyDrive (and much more) that people will enjoy. If you haven’t already, you can give many of the new features and improvements in Windows 8.1 a try with the Windows 8.1 Preview. Business customers can begin testing Windows 8.1 for deployment in their environments with the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview.

Now is a great time to buy a Windows 8 device in a range of different form factors like Microsoft Surface, the Acer Iconia W3, the Lenovo Yoga 11s, the Toshiba KIRAbook or the Dell XPS 18 . For students going back to school, we have Windows Chip-in which is a crowdsourcing program to help students and parents purchase a new Windows device for school. And the Windows Store Only at Best Buy store-within-a-store experiences will be launching throughout August and September, just in time for the back-to-school shopping season to check out all the latest Windows devices! If you buy a Windows 8 device today, you can look forward to the new features and improvements from Windows 8.1 in October.

It’s very exciting to be delivering Windows 8.1 to consumers just before Windows 8 celebrates its 1-year anniversary. You can expect to read more from us on Windows 8.1 leading up to availability on October 18th
!

aggbug.aspx

More...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
If you want to do a clean install from a DVD is there any way to get 8.1 on disk free? I'd guess not, and that you would have to download and burn an ISO disk? But can anyone confirm definitively either way? :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
If you want to do a clean install from a DVD is there any way to get 8.1 on disk free? I'd guess not, and that you would have to download and burn an ISO disk? But can anyone confirm definitively either way? :think:

It seems from the comments that "consumers" won't be able to download an ISO.

I guess Technet subscribers etc. may be able to get them, but for most people it will be a Clean 8 install and then head to the Windows Store... :(

The comments are worth a read too, especially those from Brandon LeBlanc.
Brandon LeBlanc said:
Consumers will only be able to get Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers. For most consumers, the Windows Store is the easiest and most efficient route for updating a Windows 8 device to Windows 8.1. ... installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store even on slow connections should work.

However... I imagine that sooner or later the Upgrade Assistant-style mechanisms to upgrade from XP/Vista/7 will be updated to go straight to 8.1 rather than via 8. For one thing 8 will go out of support before Windows 7 I believe.

So I don't entirely believe the lack of ISO will last forever. But I assume they won't be there on day 1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
When downloading from the Windows Store does it give an option to clean install rather than load over the top of the existing W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers

I'm assuming it will be available, just not for everyone...

BTW there are ways to convert the downloaded Install.esd to an Install.wim by syspreping a VM - if you want to make an iso for re-install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
For students going back to school, we have Windows Chip-in which is a crowdsourcing program to help students and parents purchase a new Windows device for school. And the Windows Store Only at Best Buy store-within-a-store experiences will be launching throughout August and September, just in time for the back-to-school shopping season to check out all the latest Windows devices! If you buy a Windows 8 device today, you can look forward to the new features and improvements from Windows 8.1 in October.

It’s very exciting to be delivering Windows 8.1 to consumers just before Windows 8 celebrates its 1-year anniversary. You can expect to read more from us on Windows 8.1 leading up to availability on October 18th!

aggbug.aspx

More...

Careful there Shawn, some may accuse you of pushing an unholy OS :D

Anyway that's good news. Guess that's when I'll be reinstalling my Win 8 copies.

LOL, at least it's not being released on Halloween. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers

I'm assuming it will be available, just not for everyone...

BTW there are ways to convert the downloaded Install.esd to an Install.wim by syspreping a VM - if you want to make an iso for re-install.
Thanks for the thought but it's a bit over my 'pay grade' experience wise! Will wait for release to public to see what's on offer.

Cheers M :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I was so ready to do a clean install of 8.1 at then end of this month...so the agony of waiting continues.

Same here. Will finally go to a SSD and wanted a clean install of 8.1. With no ISO available without TechNet or MSDN it looks like a clean install of 8 and then an upgrade to 8.1 is in my future. I have about 90 updates to 8 and hope there will be a way to updated to 8.1 without doing all those 90 updates first. Hopefully that procedure will be clearer when 8.1 is released.
Jim :cry:

Yeah I'm looking to do a clean install as well as finally running a copy on my desktop. Oh well, the wait continues.

Careful there Shawn, some may accuse you of pushing an unholy OS :D

Anyway that's good news. Guess that's when I'll be reinstalling my Win 8 copies.

LOL, at least it's not being released on Halloween. :p

Oh god; you guys would definitely be busy that night, especially the mods :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

It seems from the comments that "consumers" won't be able to download an ISO.

I guess Technet subscribers etc. may be able to get them, but for most people it will be a Clean 8 install and then head to the Windows Store... :(

The comments are worth a read too, especially those from Brandon LeBlanc.
Brandon LeBlanc said:
Consumers will only be able to get Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers. For most consumers, the Windows Store is the easiest and most efficient route for updating a Windows 8 device to Windows 8.1. ... installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store even on slow connections should work.

However... I imagine that sooner or later the Upgrade Assistant-style mechanisms to upgrade from XP/Vista/7 will be updated to go straight to 8.1 rather than via 8. For one thing 8 will go out of support before Windows 7 I believe.

So I don't entirely believe the lack of ISO will last forever. But I assume they won't be there on day 1.

There has never been an ISO download version for OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed Windows PC's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
There has never been an ISO download version for OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed Windows PC's.
So basically it's the same as downloading a Service Pack and installing it?

Like others have said, I'll do a clean install off the retail OEM DVD for Win8 Pro, then download 8.1 from the Windows Store.

So I guess to get the download you have to sign in with a Microsoft Account, not a local account.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Will it be region restricted or they going to release to every body

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    acer ax3950
    CPU
    i3 530
    Memory
    4 gig ddr 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    dont need one as i go on onlive cloud gaming
    Sound Card
    none
    Monitor(s) Displays
    i-inc 19 inch wide
    Hard Drives
    640 gig
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    logitec s540
    Mouse
    motor mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 meg virgin media uk
I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. :( Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work. That was doing it by the book with the update then downloading. Approximately 4 hours each download at my data speed. I forget the blasted #@*% message it gave me and quite frankly I don't want to know anymore. :D I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.

The last couple of days I redid my system to get rid of 7 to dual boot 8Pro and 8.1Pro RP. I needed the 8Pro for my new Office Pro 2013 and, quite frankly, I got tired of 7. It's as slow as molasses in January. It's ancient to me now after using 8 for awhile.

Anywho, all went well and quick installing 8Pro from my DVD and 8.1 from the downloaded ISO, of which I burned to a DVD. They had better get their Store upgrade correct this time or give us the ISO to burn. I vote ISO myself. They're convenient for reinstalls and fixes also. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
IE11 still is quite useless for a lot of business applications -- and also a lot of sites render poorly or incorrectly too --major show stopper in spite of other good changes in W8.1

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. :( Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work. That was doing it by the book with the update then downloading. Approximately 4 hours each download at my data speed. I forget the blasted #@*% message it gave me and quite frankly I don't want to know anymore. :D I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.

The last couple of days I redid my system to get rid of 7 to dual boot 8Pro and 8.1Pro RP. I needed the 8Pro for my new Office Pro 2013 and, quite frankly, I got tired of 7. It's as slow as molasses in January. It's ancient to me now after using 8 for awhile.

Anywho, all went well and quick installing 8Pro from my DVD and 8.1 from the downloaded ISO, of which I burned to a DVD. They had better get their Store upgrade correct this time or give us the ISO to burn. I vote ISO myself. They're convenient for reinstalls and fixes also. :)

I did the Store upgrade 3 times:
- 2 sucesses and 1 faliure*.

The success was great: you had all your programs and most settings kept (VBox networking errors were the only weird thing but I think I can fix that now).

*The failure was pretty bad: it downloads all those files (4-5GB) and then... does nothing, nothing for ages, you can just reboot and it won't even bother anymore, setup files are ignored. For guys like me with slow connections, Store failures like that are not pleasant at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. :( Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work.
Yeah totally agree. I abandoned it after upgrading W98 to XP and haven't gone back since. All versions since have been retail discs from retail computer shop, including W8 Pro.

I spoke to the salesman from PC shop today and he said he had tried three times to install the upgrade and it failed every time.

I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.
How did you get the ISO because previous posts suggest it is not available? Or are you a Technet Subscriber?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I did the Store upgrade 3 times:
- 2 sucesses and 1 faliure*.

The success was great: you had all your programs and most settings kept (VBox networking errors were the only weird thing but I think I can fix that now).

*The failure was pretty bad: it downloads all those files (4-5GB) and then... does nothing, nothing for ages, you can just reboot and it won't even bother anymore, setup files are ignored. For guys like me with slow connections, Store failures like that are not pleasant at all.

Perhaps the third time would have been the charm. Simply ran out of patience. Approximately 8 hours of download time. Another 3 for the ISO. Not that I was waiting around for I was doing other things, but geez.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I don't go for upgrades because for the most part they suck, but I thought I'd give it a go from 8Pro to 8.1RP via the store just for the experience. Not a good one. :( Twice I tried downloading, but never did get it to work.
Yeah totally agree. I abandoned it after upgrading W98 to XP and haven't gone back since. All versions since have been retail discs from retail computer shop, including W8 Pro.

I spoke to the salesman from PC shop today and he said he had tried three times to install the upgrade and it failed every time.

I finally ended up downloading the ISO and installed directly from the HD, which was convenient.
How did you get the ISO because previous posts suggest it is not available? Or are you a Technet Subscriber?

For 8 Pro and Enterprise:

www.eightforums.com/showthread.php?t=27188

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
@HippsieGypsie: Thanks mate for the info. Question is, will it be available in final release?

Cheers M :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Hi Everyone,

I wont be touching or have anything to do with Windows 8.0 or this new Windows 8.1

I will be sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes into the market in 2015 ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
You never know, there might be even more METRO in 9.

It depends, if MS are able to shift 8.1 , through whatever means they can - they will keep building the metro monster/empire , depending on your point of view.

If the public reject it, then MS will have to think again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back