Lost cd/dvd-driver

win8problems

Dvds stopped playing on my laptop - I've tried other disks - so I figured I should reinstall the driver. I found a solution that suggested I uninstall the driver, then restart and the driver should be reinstalled automatically. This did not happen, so now I have no driver.

Also, I tried pasting this: reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 into a command prompt - as per advice from some guy on youtube - but nothing happened.

Edit: Tried this too:

• 1. Close all open programs
  • 2. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
  • 3. Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • 4. This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
    • UpperFilters
    • LowerFilters
    • UpperFilters.bak
    • LowerFilters.bak
  • 5. If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
  • 6. After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
  • 7. Reboot your computer
  • 8. Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone. Also, be sure to check under Computer to make sure the CD/DVD drive is visible.

(None of the keys were listed so there was nothing to delete.)

Edit again: Tried this:

To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:
  1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow.
  3. In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
  4. Right-click atapi, point to New, then select Key.
  5. Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
  6. Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then select DWORD(32-bit) Value .
  7. Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
  8. Right-click EnumDevice1, select Modify....
  9. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then select OK.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

(There was - surprisingly - already a controller0 and enumdevice1 there. Not sure what to make of that. I suppose I made one years ago, but I don't think I did it to fix the dvd-driver. Unless something else I tried while trying to fix this just created this? So I just made new ones and named them controller1, enumdevice2 and typed 2 in the value data box. Didn't work. )

How do I get my driver back? (If someone wants to suggest I contact the manufacturer, I'd like a tip on how to find out which one that is.)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I'll apologize up front, I know this might not be what you want to hear :) I used to enjoy fiddlin' with Windows but anymore I want to get things working asap, and sometimes parts are too inexpensive to toy with, replacing is so much easier and quicker, I usually upgrade something else I might have been putting off, and a fresh new install of Windows is too easy and fast and usually fixes my problems - outside of failing hardware.

Did you eliminate the possibility the drive may have simply worn out, failing from normal wear and tear? A replacement should be doable price-wise. Installation is usually easy (for most laptops, but not all) as well. You would need to decide if you could tackle the job.

What did Device Manager have to say before you began editing the registry, did the drive show up, maybe only disabled or an uninstalled driver? Wondering what prompted you to dive into the registry, this kind of approach should be a last resort, especially if you're not sure it even fixes your issue. Did you by chance edit, add, delete stuff from the registry that might have broke things to cause you this headache?

Can you see a DVD drive listed in Device Manager when you expand the DVD/CD category? If so, highlight the drive, then Action - what does "Scan For Hardware Changes" find, anything? See if it can fix any issues.

I'm not sure exactly what you see in Device Manager but can you update the driver by searching the system to see if Windows finds a driver and installs it? See if Windows can find the correct driver, you may need to supply an install source - a Windows install disk, USB drive. I would expect to get a warning if actually deleting a needed system file - you deleted it without a warning from Windows this might be a bad idea?

Windows usually sets up the DVD/CD drive really easily during install or when you boot up after upgrading the system - such as adding a DVD drive, so I'm not sure you would have had to intervene. If you did it seems your install of Windows might be broken, and needs a refresh after you put a working DVD drive in, Windows should recognize all your hardware and set it up without issue.

If it was me, I would save my important stuff, buy a new drive, install it, maybe even upgrade my RAM (?) then install Windows fresh. Honestly, most techs don't waste too much time on a system a user has been cutting up, editing the registry, deleting important system files... and since a DVD drive is pretty cheap, replace it, may suggest a SSD if you have an old spinning drive, might be a good time to upgrade the RAM (maybe) - but get a new fresh Windows going that will recognize and setup your hardware anew - get everything working again.

OTOH, if your drive is still in good shape, and you have been doing regular backups, you can revert back to a time when everyone was happy - do you have backups - a system restore point that can undo some of these unfortunate changes that's rendered your drive helpless :) if so, I'd try that first before I spend any money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
I'm not looking to do anything drastic here, like reinstall windows, just seems reasonable to me that I should be able to just download a new driver. Not sure what you mean by buying a new driver, sounds like you are talking about a physical, external dvd player?

The cd/dvd driver was there in device manager before I did anything with the registry. I uninstalled it, apparently it was supposed to just appear after a reboot, but it didn't. Only then did I go to the registry, as per the advice I found.

Yeah, maybe I'll just revert the system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I reverted the system and at least the dvd drive icon is back in Device Manager. The computer also recognised the dvd - i got a little notification, (i guess that was because I had just reverted the system) so there seems to be some hope yet, though I still can't get dvds to play.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi win8problems

Sorry I wasn't much help, maybe someone else can chime in with other options.

Time is money, a replacement DVD drive (starting at $25 US) isn't worth pulling your hair out days on end. A working backup image, and a recovery USB drive could have had this machine going again by now (for next time I suppose)... if a fresh install is too much work, that's all I meant.

I suggested a few things you didn't mention anything about So I guess I'll leave well enough alone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
I've tried this: "Can you see a DVD drive listed in Device Manager when you expand the DVD/CD category? If so, highlight the drive, then Action - what does "Scan For Hardware Changes" find, anything? See if it can fix any issues."

Nothing happened.

"I'm not sure exactly what you see in Device Manager but can you update the driver by searching the system to see if Windows finds a driver and installs it?"

Search how?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Unless you somehow removed the driver from the repository itself, you should be able to do this:

Device Manager> Expand DVD/CD-Rom Drives

Tt6nSNf.jpg

Right Click on the DVD drive> Left Click on Update Driver

gwO9FjL.jpg

Choose to Search automatically (mine is windows 10, so the wording may be a bit different?)

6R7m06x.jpg

Let windows search for a driver and install it if it finds one

If it doesn't work, we'd need to know the manufacturer and model of the DVD drive (a screen shot of the DVD drive name as above might be enough

DTTchcm.jpg

Good luck

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Open Start Menu> In search box type or paste msinfo32> Enter

Either post a screen shot or let me know the OS Name, Version, and System type

I'm going to be away for several days. Hopefully I'll see your reply, or someone else can assist as well

vChXhu3.jpg

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Wow, not finding any downloads for that driver. What is the manufacturer of your PC? Is this a PC or a laptop? Do you have any install discs that you received with the unit? Windows install disc? DVD Drive install disc?

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hmmm, I've searched far and wide. I find places that list the driver, but no actual download. My Windows 10 driver is a generic Microsoft driver provided by the system. I don't know how you can get that without the install disc though...

You might see if one is listed for your model

MSI USA

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast